• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy heroes and swords

Well put Falunel.. If I wasn't so lazy I could probably create some new and exciting weapon.. but yeah.. nu -.- I have way too much stuff on my plate as it is then to spend hours trying to design a new thing and make it believable LMAO

It seems that most fantasy heroes use swords. Why is that? It there some special symbolism or meaning to that weapon?
It's probably phallic. Most things are if you listen to the experts. Personally, I've never created a character who used or needed a sword. Ravana is right in that in pre-history a finely-wrought sword was a symbol of status, but I doubt that's what's going through the mind of most authors who use them as a symbol. I've always thought a spear was a more effective weapon, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Ravana

Istar
We have a 9 year old who likes sharp pointy things and a 4 year old who likes weapons LMFAO! so we have to keep them out of reach x.x! at least till we get some show stands to hang them on the wall

So? Put the kids in the closet. ;)

I have cats, not kids–for any number of reasons. Not least of which being that I'd be the one sticking the weapons in the kids.… Seriously, though: there's no way you're going to be able to keep the weapons away from the kids–they're far too ingenious, and will find ways to get at them if they really want to. Far better to teach them how to handle the weapons properly; if they learn proper respect for them, they won't want to handle them. That, plus since they do get to handle them from time to time, they won't constitute a "temptation" as they otherwise might.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravana

Istar
Ravana is right in that in pre-history a finely-wrought sword was a symbol of status, but I doubt that's what's going through the mind of most authors who use them as a symbol.

Naah, most aren't using them as symbols, I'm sure. The point was that most people have been conditioned to expect swords as the weapon of choice, based on their own literary (and/or historical) experiences… writers included, so they rarely look past them.

Naah, most aren't using them as symbols, I'm sure. The point was that most people have been conditioned to expect swords as the weapon of choice, based on their own literary (and/or historical) experiences… writers included, so they rarely look past them.
That's probably true. Sad, but true.:(

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think it would be awesome if there was a fantasy novel with no weapons. Like no one used them because they grew accustomed to besting their enemy with their own two hands. Then people would have giant epic wars with people just punching and kicking the crap out of each other. And a guy could punch a dragon in the face.

I call it Dragonpuncher.

Now that I would read!

I think it would be awesome if there was a fantasy novel with no weapons.
My current novel contains no weapons. That's no doubt due to some subconscious aversion to weaponry, but it doesn't make the actual writing any good. Be careful what you wish for; you might end up with the dross I produce on my word processor.:D

@Phil - What a coincidence, I'm working on a story about a man who walked up to a dragon and punched it in the face. I'm calling it 'Lunch' lol

So? Put the kids in the closet. ;)
That's beautiful! If it wasn't against the law I so would LOL

Far better to teach them how to handle the weapons properly; if they learn proper respect for them, they won't want to handle them. That, plus since they do get to handle them from time to time, they won't constitute a "temptation" as they otherwise might.
This is a good point and we have been teaching the nine year old how to use the bows.. but we're still iffy about him about him messing with the swords. The 4 year old.. we tried today in fact to show her how to shoot a bow, but she didn't want to learn >.<

Ophiucha

Auror
My story basically doesn't have any fighting, save for on the first page. There is some one sided gore (magical), but mostly it's a very character-based story, and the action is at a minimum. Of course, there are weapons, they just don't happen to get much use.

I would personally like to see a story where muskets or Medieval hand cannons featured prominently. If they have guns, they are modern (or at least post-musket) guns. Usually something cowboy-esque, or even just a shotgun. I'd like to see a story where you get to make one shot, then you have to stop, put in your gunpowder and bullet, stuff them down, and then shoot again until eventually giving up and stabbing each other with the little knives at the end.

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
:::chuckles:: i think the kids would drive each other nuts int he closet so that the boy would kick out the door......LOL just my opinion....lol . She will want to try one day or another give her time

Ravana

Istar
I would personally like to see a story where muskets or Medieval hand cannons featured prominently.

Nothing says "cool" quite like a wheellock. It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder why the Industrial Revolution didn't take place two centuries earlier.

Or so: Leonardo da Vinci designed a tank, a helicopter, a steam-powered cannon, submarines and several flying machines and gliders. Most would not work if forced to rely exclusively on accepted physical principles–but that's what magic's for, right? On the other hand, he also designed a bridge across the Golden Horn in Istanbul that was declared impossible when presented in 1502… but which Turkey is now considering constructing, exactly to the original plan; so much for what we "know." But I think it'd be interesting to have da Vinci's tanks take the field against the "invincible" heavy cavalry of the time period.

Archimedes was credited–perhaps incorrectly–with creating a "heat ray" to set approaching ships on fire, as well as far better-attested designs both military and otherwise. A couple centuries later, Heron of Alexandria had a number of inventions which, if less "romantic" than weapons, included the earliest (verifiable) steam engine and the world's first vending machine. And if you want to wonder about how long-delayed the Industrial Revolution really was, look up "Antikythera Mechanism" some time.

As for a story–albeit not "fantasy"–that features muskets, there's always The Three Musketeers.

Ravana... where'd you learn about all this stuff? I wanna do some research o_O Do you have any books you can reference for me so I can do some leisurely reading?

Ophiucha

Auror
Can't go wrong with Alexander Dumas, eh?

@Falling; I can't say about Ravana, but I mostly just spend tons of hours on the internet clicking about Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica. Oh, and watching QI. Watch a season of QI, and you will have more trivia under your belt than the entire Jeopardy series could provide. :p Plus, it's British.

Can't go wrong with Alexander Dumas, eh?

@Falling; I can't say about Ravana, but I mostly just spend tons of hours on the internet clicking about Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica. Oh, and watching QI. Watch a season of QI, and you will have more trivia under your belt than the entire Jeopardy series could provide. :p Plus, it's British.

what's QI? I don't trust Wikipedia since Anyone can post on it.. seriously it's not like a smart people only thing >.<

Ophiucha

Auror
what's QI? I don't trust Wikipedia since Anyone can post on it.. seriously it's not like a smart people only thing >.<

It is also very heavily moderated and well cited, if you wanted external resources. There was a study done that said Wikipedia was in fact MORE accurate in many areas than Encyclopedia Britannica, the one which is regulated by a select group of people. And QI is a British quiz show (QI stands for Quite Interesting), where they give off rather obscure and interesting information on a wide variety of subjects, and they have a section at the end called General Ignorance where they ask a question with a seemingly obvious answer that is actually wrong.

As for books, if you want them, that just sort of depends on what you want to know. I mean, there is at least one book on anything but no book on everything - not even a 80 book encyclopedia can cover everything. For fantasy reference, I have a book on pre-1600 military weapons and tactics, a book on pestilence and plagues, and a very comprehensive encyclopedia on mythology.

LOL I know what you mean about books.. I think I might look into the weapons book o_OI know more useless information on greek and roman mythology then any single person in the world should >.< and I have a HUGE book on fantasy lore from around the world.. it's one of my favorite reads LOL but I'm not good with weapons and the such.. Hence why I stick to what I know x.x swords, daggers, maces, spears, bows, etc though it does get boring to write with the style of battle scenes all the time o_O