• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

If you could meet one writer...

Devora

Sage
If you could meet one writer, dead or alive, who would you want to meet? What would you want to discuss?

I'll start: Isaac Asimov. I would discuss literature with him and tap into his vast knowledge.

Incanus

Auror
Martin, and I'd talk to him about how much effort he put into world building before getting down to the actual writing.

I'd really love to know this too!

Apparently, he doesn't do a lot of plot outlining--but he never said anything about how much worldbuilding he did beforehand.

C

Chessie

Agatha Christie (sorry she's not fantasy). She has an extensive collection of books, and all of the ones I have read have been delightful. I'd like to ask her how she managed to have such output.

Wiciran

Acolyte
This is a really tough one. Either Tolkein or J.K. Rowling. They're both great. I'd have different questions for both. Though I might go with Tolkein. Mostly about the creation of the cultures of the various races in his legendarium.

I would like to meet the great Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Who could ever forget the unforgettable novels he wrote like: One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera. Too bad he passed away but his works will be eternal.

Fyle

Inkling
Theodor Geisel.

Just because he seems like he would be a fun guy to converse with and have interesting things to say, and a lot to show off as far as first drafts and ideas for books.

The man was actually a perfectionist and rewrote over and over. When you read his work, you probably think the words just flowed out naturally onto the paper when he wrote it.

TWErvin2

Auror
Roger Zelazny. I'd like to discuss writing and some of his novels, of course. And what he would've written/had planned if cancer wouldn't have taken him.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
There are lots of modern authors I'd like to pick their brains about writing with, but I guess they have that enough and I'd get preformed answers to my [boring and repetitive -to them] questions...
So I'd go for Lewis Carroll or Edgar Allan Poe.
Poe would have to be fairly sober and not in one of his moods, so we could get drunk and rage together, I think a pub crawl with him would be fun...
Carroll, I think would be interesting to talk to just to find out what his mind was like being a Fantasy/Nonsense writer and a mathematician [yes - I'd love to discover the "truth" behind Alice...]. And you've got to love the name "Charles Lutwidge Dodgson"...

SugoiMe

Closed Account
Tolkien for Middle Earth talk and languages. Would I ever like to pick that man's brain for languages!

I don't do that much reading, but maybe also C.S. Lewis, mostly to talk about Mere Christianity. Now that's another brilliant mind.

Reaver

Staff
I have four (not in any particular order):

John Haley, Phillip Overby, Robert MacAnthony and Anthony Dragani. If you don't know who these amazing writers are, it's imperative that you find out.