• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you prefer to write?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was curious. What implement do you use in your writing? Are you a pen and paper kind of person? Or maybe you prefer to do it digitally on your desktop or laptop? Or, are you old fashioned and prefer to use a typewriter?

I've dabbled in all three. I started out with pen and paper, but then my dad got me my own desktop and he's fixed the family laptop, so now I prefer to write my stories on the computer, And when my grandpa died a couple of months ago, I found an old typewriter at his house that I've used a couple of times, but mainly keep for decorative purposes.

I feel like using the computer is easier, because the writing is easier to read and I don't have to worry about misplacing papers, and I can save all my resources in one folder on a flashdrive instead of carrying all of my notes and stuff in a bulky binder. Of course, I still have maps and family trees and various other notes and background information written on sheets of parchment, but those can easily fit into a laptop bag if I need them.

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
Never did use a typewriter. For a long time I was strictly a pencil and paper sort (generally preferred pencil over pen for rough drafts because I could erase when I wanted to change something). Still occasionally have a pad and pencil with me (mostly used for quick notes, or for random ideas I quickly want to get jotted down).

Any more I do almost all of my writing on either my computer, or my tablet when I'm away from home (I have a blue tooth keyboard for it so I can use it like a mini-laptop), mostly because using Word is just easier and faster than hand writing. That being said, I do still have a fondness for writing by hand now and then. And like you said, when you're doing maps or charts or other things of that nature, paper is still the best way to go (unless you're really good at making those things on the computer, I suppose).

Khama

Scribe
I personally like to write by hand. I'm just able to think more clearly while doing so, and then after I'm done I just type it up. Leaving editing work to be done on the computer. Yeah its inefficient but I honestly don't care. It just feels more natural for me, and things are a lot more fluid. Not to mention when I type it up I'm going at around 90-100 WPM. In the end it doesn't take a whole lot of time to get it on the screen.

Gurkhal

Auror
I always do with a pencil and papper and most stuff ends there as well and don't get written over into a digital format. For me its also that my thoughts can enter into my hand and bleed out on papper in a way that I can't do with a computer's keyboard.

Usually, when I'm mapping or first coming up with ideas, I write in a notebook. I tend to draw too. It's much more instant. And always with a pen. It's much more comfortable than pencil for me.

I had a typewriter over the summer, and I LOVED it. It has the cleanliness of the computer but the permanency of the pen. With a computer, I feel like my wheels are spinning faster than I can even keep up with. The typewriter made me slow down and think about every single sentence, and I was constantly reading the whole over and over as I wrote. I just found myself writing better. The clacking was also wonderful.

And always, I write better in a public place than I do in my room. In my room, I'm too tempted to sleep. I like being able to take a break and get coffee or talk with someone. It's nice to be in the real world as well as in your own.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Hm, I think I had a typewriter when I was a kid, because I didn't have a computer. I liked the sound of it :p Anyways - I like doing both. I like the feel of writing by hand in my composition book (I'm rather particular about this - I'll do notes, research, worldbuilding, etc on anything I can find, and short stories can go on legal pads or notebooks, but I'll only write my actual WIP in a composition book), and I like the computer for the speed of it, and I'll certainly crank out words and meet deadlines with that.

With that being said, I don't always like those words. In fact, last year's NaNo I did by hand, then transcribed onto the computer; both Camp NaNo's, I did almost purely on the computer. I've been editing them, and by far I like what I did by hand. I think that it makes me slow down and think about what I want to say. I might not always write it out well, but the overall writing seems to be better, the progression, etc.

Now, I do a lot of editing on the computer, and as I said I transcribe it, which also allows me to make corrections as I go. I'll do outlines on the computer (now; I didn't used to) and stuff, but I do a lot of brainstorming, note-taking, and drawing by hand. I'll do major edits on the computer, but I need to then print it out and read it to keep editing. Don't know why, but I like actually taking a big red pen to it and ripping it to shreds.

So, what I've developed into lately, is that I've been outlining on the computer because it looks more formal to me somehow (and I can move things around easier) then do the rough draft by hand, transcribe with minor edits, read through with general edits (mistakes in transcription), print, reread, edit, print. Rinse, repeat. :p

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I write exclusively on my laptop. Either sitting on the couch in my living room or at some cafe/pub/other location away from home. I never write at my desk.

Used to be a card carrying member of the pen and pad club, but when I got used to word processing I never looked back. Handwriting doesn't give me the sense of total immersion in the story that my laptop does - and writing on my hour commute every day is bliss (and very productive).

Strangely enough, when I go on holiday I never take a computer and happily revert to pen and pad for the duration.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Pen and paper, and I know why. It's because when I am thinking, I doodle. No maps or character sketches, just aimless doodling. But doodling is really difficult on a keyboard!

Also, pace Khama, I don't regard it as inefficient because I do major editing as I type up what I have written by hand. Knowing that I'm going to make that editing pass, in which I might cut out entire paragraphs but more often just juggle words around, allows me to feel more free as I write on paper. I will repeat an image, jump forward half a scene, or otherwise commit writerly crimes because I know I will fix those as I type. This is different from the editing of a first draft I do later, once it's all been typed.

I guess it doesn't need to be added that from that point on, everything is done on keyboard. Writing on paper is strictly for first draft, and for random notes, outlining or other thinking-on-paper activities. I have notebooks. Many, many notebooks.

Gurkhal

Auror
I might add that my latest trend is using my mobilephone to write shorter stories in its note-app. Works great since its less cumbersome and I can write on the buss or other crowded places without having to pull up large objects.

And then I re-write what I've writen on papper and save it for the future.

I might add that my latest trend is using my mobilephone to write shorter stories in its note-app. Works great since its less cumbersome and I can write on the buss or other crowded places without having to pull up large objects.

And then I re-write what I've writen on papper and save it for the future.

I usually just put notes into the notes app. Things like character bios, bits of history, weapon descriptions, types of spells, that sort of stuff.

queenofashes

I do almost all of my writing on the computer. I feel like things flow much better when I can type. Writing by hand feels too slow, and limits the amount of time I can spend writing (I have joint issues, and my hands get tired).

That being said, I do like planning things on paper. When I'm trying to figure things out, I want that slowness. And I relish the ability to scribble things in the margins. Plus there's room for doodles.

I also occasionally do some writing on my iPad, but the onscreen keyboard just isn't the same. I can only tolerate it for short periods before it starts driving me batty.

I'd really like to try a typewriter again. I haven't used one since junior high when I had to type papers and didn't have a printer. But I'm an anachronistic soul, and I think I might really like it. I may have to pick one up and see...

C

Chessie

I do my best work when I'm close to nature. I enjoy writing outdoors (which is less of an option up here with it being fall and winter soon approaching). But so long as I'm near a window where I can look out at the mountains, or sitting in my car at one of the scenic pull outs, I have more clarity. Its weird. I struggle to get the words out when I'm in a room locked up.

Classical music has been my thing while writing lately. Its soothing and helps me connect with my artistic side. :p Also, a nice mug of hot tea or a bottle of water must be nearby. I feel like a pricess sometimes when I say "oh, but I need this around too!" <-- one of my cats nearby to pet also.

aliens

Acolyte
I have many fragments written down from times I couldn't get to my laptop, but for the most part my story is digital. I prefer computers because it is so easy to change things as well as organize. However, a printed copy of an outline or character profile is typically alongside my computer.

I used to write freehand and always thought I would do being of a traditionalist bent, but breaking my hand sometime ago has put paid to that. Now my handwriting is terrible, and I can't seem to draw either - though maybe that's just lack of practice. I now write on a crappy laptop with no network card in it - to make sure I stay on the job. I'm not sure it's relevant to the original question, but I can't write at home, and I can't right after noon either.