• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Free Downloads

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Hello everyone,

I've recently posted a short story online to download for free. I've put it up on April 20th. In the 10 days since, it's been downloaded 30 times.

My intention for posting it is threefold:

1) To offer something of polished quality for readers to consume. I comissioned a (beautiful) cover and had the story edited. I want future customers to associate high quality with everything I put out.

2) At the end, I link to a novelette I have online on B&N (it's on Amazon too, but I didn't link to it. Something I will soon remedy). I hope to see an uptick in sales.

3) I'm gathering a mailing list :). This is the most valuable of assets. The larger the mailing list, the more people I can advertise to for free.

If you have any questions about the procedure, or if you have advice, please post them below. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Atlaxa

Scribe
Hello Ankari,

I totally agree; I do believe that free downloads are a good way to put your work out there. I do the same with my book (which is by no means short :))

I must admit, I have made a mistake. I wrote a book before familiarising myself with the rules of book marketing. Therefore I'd like to ask you two really stupid questions. I hope you don't mind.

1) How do you get the mailing list?
2) Once you have it, what do you do with it? (I hope it's not what I think, though I fear it might be. And I don't think it's anything nasty btw. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

Julian S Bartz

Minstrel
I think it's also beneficial if the free story is the beginning of or ties in with a series (paid).

Agree. I have the first novel in my trilogy free with the exception of Amazon where I have it up for 99 cents. this encourages people to try it out and if they like it buy book 2.

When I only had the first book out I had a short story up for free to encourage people to try out my writing and I did see a good amount of referrals.

A lot of it is about your online presense. The more things your have out there, the more people will find you. That being said, make sure its quality otherwise you do yourself harm.

With every book or story I have published I have gotten more and more sales of my other work. Cumulatively it builds.

I do very little marketing. (Too busy writing the final book in the trilogy) However once all my books are out I will start looking to promote a bit more.

I know too many fantasy fans who wont even look at a series unless its finished. Too many Robert Jordan and George R R Martin fans methinks.