• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Map Tool

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
I played around with the map tool (still in beta) and it seems pretty sweet. It takes an hour or so for your signup to clear and I had to use FireFox because IE11 doesn't appear to be support yet, but it looks like a GREAT tool! There is also a dungeon tool and other features (like character builders) planned in the future.

InKarnate

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
Have to check that out. Just started looking for a good mapmaking program. This one looks pretty good:

https://secure.profantasy.com/default.asp

but it costs $45 for the base program (plus extra for add-ons such as a city builder and dungeon builder). Hoping not to spend more than I have to, but still want something that lets me make a decent enough map I could include it at the front of a novel if I wanted.

Have to check that out. Just started looking for a good mapmaking program. This one looks pretty good:

https://secure.profantasy.com/default.asp

but it costs $45 for the base program (plus extra for add-ons such as a city builder and dungeon builder). Hoping not to spend more than I have to, but still want something that lets me make a decent enough map I could include it at the front of a novel if I wanted.

All the products from profantasy are awesome, incredible powerful. I recommend it. (I myself spent a about $100 on it).

But BEWARE. The learning curve is steep, very steep. like, 89degrees steep. :D

Yet, once you get how it works, it is amazing. :D :D :D

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
All the products from profantasy are awesome, incredible powerful. I recommend it. (I myself spent a about $100 on it).

Thanks for the recommendation -- I'll have to pick it up (because my hand drawn maps are so bad even I can barely make sense of them!).

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
I registered last night to try to give this a go, but it still hasn't validated. Was there a known number for the beta batch of testers?

I'd also recommend Profantasy, I use Campaign Cartographer for my maps. Now I am also learning to use Photoshop to make maps, you can get dozens of free brushes online.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
A website I used to create a map for my novels was donjon; RPG Tools go to the world generator and you can create your own world map with a variety of changed characteristics. When you are done save the image and open in Photoshop to modify it further. Copy and paste in new villages, tree, castles, paint in rivers and lakes and add names. hope this help.