• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[Reading Group] September 2014 Voting!

Ophiucha

Auror
I'm in charge of picking a book for September, but since I know my tastes aren't the most universal of the reading group, I've picked five for you all to vote on! The theme I've chosen is... YA!

1. Akata Witch, by Nnedi Okorafor.
  2. Among Others, by Jo Walton.
  3. Alanna: The First Adventure, by Tamora Pierce.
  4. Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones.
  5. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente.

Several award winners, a couple of classics, one you likely all know from a Studio Ghibli film, and absolutely nothing that resembles Twilight. I hope everyone can find one in the mix that they're interested to read. :) You can vote for 2 or 3 of them! You have a couple of weeks before the winner is decided.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm going to read samples of all the books and decide if I'm going to join in. I'm familiar with Akata Witch, Howl's Moving Castle and The Girl...etc.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I've read Howl's Moving Castle 3 times so I think I'll vote for something new. (FANTASTIC book though, everyone should read it.)

Akata Witch is insultingly expensive. I refuse to buy that book and support that publisher.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is my choice, very affordable and looks interestingly quirky.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I was going to say the same about Akata Witch. I want to read it, but at 13 dollars for Kindle, that's a bit too steep.

I'm going to go with Among Others as it's the one I liked the most of the samples I read. And for a second vote (if in need) is for Howl's Moving Castle because I've heard how awesome it is for years now and I love the anime (although people who love the book seem to have issues with the anime, I'd like to find out for myself).

Last edited:

Amanita

Maester
I know, I haven't been part of a reading group before but I'd be quite interested in the Akata Witch book because I haven't come across many fantasy stories set in Africa so far and it also features a girl discovering her magical talens which I like as well.
I understand if it's not chosen because of the price of course. (For some reason, it's completely within the normal range for paperback books/kindle in Germany.)

Ophiucha

Auror
It's standard price where I shop, too, but I couldn't blame anyone for not voting on it if their preferred outlet is pricier. :)

Akata Witch is published through Penguin/Random House, and is cheaper through Nook and Kobo, so I wouldn't be surprised if the price relates to a dispute with Amazon, particularly since PRH hates them and given the recent dispute Amazon has been dealing with with Hachette.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's too bad that situations with publishers can actually prevent someone from reading a book. If I was in the U.S. I may be able to find it used, but Kindle is my only real option at the moment.

Mythopoet

Auror
Actually, it's cheaper at Amazon. Not by much, obviously, but cheaper. The price doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with the dispute. It's just one of those typical high prices from a large publisher which is being discounted. The list price is 17.99. Kobo and B&N are selling it for 13.99. Amazon is selling the hardcover for 13.86 and the ebook for 13.17. So, nothing to do with the dispute. The publisher set a high price and everyone is discounting it because no one in their right mind is going to buy an ebook for 17.99. Unfortunately for them, most people aren't going to buy it for $13 either. (Actually, the publisher is ok with this because they don't want people buying the ebook at all, they want them buying the hardcover.)

Ophiucha

Auror
Where can you get the Amazon ebook for 13.17? It's listed at 17.09 from my computer for the American Amazon website.

Ophiucha

Auror
Yep, that links says $17.09 for me. Weird. :p Maybe it's regional? Phil and I are both outside the US...

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I use Amazon's U.S. store though (after a lot of content was blocked due to restrictions in Asia). In any case, Akata Witch is probably the one I'd like to read the most, but I can't see paying that much for an ebook.

Ophiucha

Auror
Still might be checking your IP address or location, though. Some sites definitely do.

We still need votes, by the way! Right now the choice is tentatively Howl's Moving Castle, but it'd be great if one or two more people could vote on something to balance the numbers. :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I may have to bow out this month. I just got The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley and that's one I've been looking forward to for a while. Plus, I'm trying to make a push towards finishing Red Country and The Emperor's Blades as well (hopefully all in September). I may follow along with the group anyway and join later on if the discussion sounds interesting.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've read Howl's Moving Castle and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.... Both are good, and I'll read along with either of those. For my vote, I'll go with Among the Others which I haven't read but which is on my list.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Oh jeez. I forgot to get this. I'll have to check the book store so I can get caught up.
Got caught up reading Harry Potter for the millionth time.