• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Change POV

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
How suddenly is suddenly? :p
Between chapters?
Mid-chapter?
Between paragraphs?
Would you be doing it multiple times [switching back and forth]? Or just at one point?
I could see that it could/would get confusing for the reader if it wasn't absolutely clear when and why it happened...
I've seen the change in PoV used between a preface and the main story. It made it very clear that the preface was not part of the tale but the set-up for it... It gave the writer greater scope to introduce information that the character could not possibly know, but the reader needed to...
Can I ask... Why do you want to switch PoV?

ndmellen

Minstrel
It's your book. You can do what you want... the only thing that has to matter- if you want other people to read it- is that the breaks are obvious and cognizant.

OzonE

Dreamer
How suddenly is suddenly? :p
Between chapters?
Mid-chapter?
Between paragraphs?
Would you be doing it multiple times [switching back and forth]? Or just at one point?
I could see that it could/would get confusing for the reader if it wasn't absolutely clear when and why it happened...
I've seen the change in PoV used between a preface and the main story. It made it very clear that the preface was not part of the tale but the set-up for it... It gave the writer greater scope to introduce information that the character could not possibly know, but the reader needed to...
Can I ask... Why do you want to switch PoV?

its when the new chapter starts, its because the story reaches a point where it cannot be explained in first person POV ( or i simply cant do it) because the main character gets captured and tortured, and its where the villain is introduced.
i can put it up so you guys can read it if u want

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
its when the new chapter starts, its because the story reaches a point where it cannot be explained in first person POV ( or i simply cant do it) because the main character gets captured and tortured, and its where the villain is introduced.
i can put it up so you guys can read it if u want
That makes sense to me...
I've sort of done the same but I used a 3rd character rather than a narrator to move the story along when the MC is out of the loop [they were dead for a while - but it sort of didn't take...]

Spider

Sage
There's also the issue of consistency. Do you plan on having other chapters that shift to a different POV, or is this the only one? On the other hand, is there a reason why the previous chapters need to be written in first person? It may be easier and more coherent to write the entire book in one POV. (Of course, it's been done otherwise. If you can pull it off, go for it.)

If one part of the story is going to be written in FP and the other is going to be narrated, maybe you could split the book into Part One and Part Two.