• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano November 2014 official thread

This will be my first year attempting it. I've never attempted to write a novel-length anything (Heck, not even a novella-length anything). Let alone NANO. Wish me luck. Good luck to all you word-mongers out there.

Well after my sugar high from far too much candy on Halloween night, some snuggle time with husband and a total crash and burn, I managed to squeeze in 30 mins of writing. :) I woke up, after being only half asleep to start with, with a killer kink in my neck figured there's no time like the present time. 30 mins 500 words. Not a bad start. I almost like the scene too, it's rough. No, that is a lie. It's pretty ugly, but oh well... It'll do for the moment.
Hope everyone is off to a grand start! :)

C

Chessie

I'm at 900 words so far so still plenty more to go. I attended my local NaNo meet up group which is huge (like 25 people) and that was pretty fun. But unfortunately the keyboard on my writing tablet went out so now its getting fixed. My goal for today is 2000 and I'll get there no matter what.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Lol yeah, no facebook! I might just make one for online friends though ... the writing group sounds super fun. I'll never have a "real" one though haha.

lol you're not the only one; I don't have a facebook, either. Don't know what to do with one. Considering it just for the writing group, though...

sankunai

Scribe
My first year doing this. So far, I'm at 2032 words. Hopefully I can keep it up, would be awesome to keep averaging that!

C

Chessie

Keyboard fixed! 2046 words for today. I might go back and do a few hundred more later. Or I might just go to bed and wake up at the crack of dawn to write. Btw, I downloaded this nifty app on my phone "Writeometer" which helps you track progress, etc if anyone is curious to check it out.

Good luck to everyone! You can do it!

Aspasia

Sage
~2300! I'm not too sure of my wordcount, so I just rounded down to the previous 100's. Yay! Avoiding studying for boring classes is excellent motivation :D. Worked on 2 different stories and wrote -- and finished! -- a short scene which shows how two of my older characters met. That was fun. Building up a buffer for later this week, when wordcount will almost definitely hit zero as exams start up again ...

Ryan_Crown

Troubadour
Congrats to everyone who made their word count on day 1! I made a great start, well past my goal for the day (now I just need to keep it up like this for the rest of the month!).

Nice going everyone! :D Keep at it!
I'm at 7183 words atm. Spent the last 2 hrs editing everything. I'm loving the update to ginger. It is nice to have someone reading your work to you so you can just relax a little and listen for the mistakes. :running:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
1600 words last night, or the rough draft of Chapter One. Spent some time this morning attempting to plug a gaping plot hole, moved that effort to the 'work' file as info-dumpy.

Going to see if I can plow through the rough draft of Chapter Two tonight, which I expect to be around 1500 words.

C

Chessie

I made it to 5k today and that feels pretty good. This is going much better than last year when I struggled through every word as if chewing on cardboard. I think having an outline is what has saved me. Probably never write without one again now that I'm seeing myself be more productive with one. I hope everyone is reaching their word counts!

Been away from the laptop for a few days. Lots of stuff to take care of that isn't writing. But I do have a project ready to write for NaNo. The Were-people Western set on a train.

I'll be happy just to get 7 productive days scattered throughout the month!

Ruby

Auror
Hi,

Well done, this is an inspiring group!

I've written 3,500 words during the first two days, which is okay as I reread and edit as I go along.

I've written a story prompt plan for the first week to keep myself on target, instead of just pantsing as usual. (Thanks, Chesterama, for your advice on another thread!)

Aspasia

Sage
Did 2k today, so 4300 total. Managed to start -- and finish! -- a flash idea that had been sitting around my planning wiki for a while, so very pleased about that. It's awful cause I got bored with the beginning and rushed the ending, but I refuse to read over it until NaNo is over! 1.6k for that story, quite pleased with the idea, the execution needs a lot of work.

This means I get to pick a new flash story idea to add to my 'priority' list of writing projects, yay!

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can finish up another flash I've got hanging about -- I'm about 400 words away from the ending, but I just forgot about finishing it lol.

I can only hope the momentum for me won't drop off too badly during the week ...

Great job so far everyone!

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Didn't do well yesterday - procrastinated on homework all week, had deadlines to meet, so unless essays count (lol) I only did 550 on the 1st. Did 2035 today, making my total 2585. So I'm getting there, I just seem to keep getting distracted every time I sit down to write.

Hoping to do better tomorrow.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
yeah, I got a slow start and now that I'm beginning chapter two, I'm just HATING it. Like I need something for my character to be doing. I've probably written 3k words, but I keep deleting stuff I don't like. I know it's against the spirit of nano, to be doing it, but I just CAN'T keep the crap.

I know as soon as I get on a good track, I'll make up the difference. I just need to find my spark here, to really feel good about what I'm writing.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
2000 words into Chapter Two...which was only supposed to be 1500 words long...and more to go. Lots of job and life things lined up for the rest of the week, but I should be able to finish this chapter tomorrow, and maybe get started on the next one - which I have a rough template for.

But come Friday or thereabouts, I have to get going on that 'Jobe' rewrite, and that will likely take a week.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well, I am 2000 words into a 1500 word chapter with more to go. (Yes, it grew on me.) Lots of job and life things lined up for the rest of the week, but I should be able to finish this chapter tomorrow, and maybe get started on the next one - which I have a rough template for.

But come Friday or thereabouts, I have to get going on that 'Jobe' rewrite, and that will likely take a week.