• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your writing pattern?

King_Cagn

Scribe
Hello everyone, it's me again. Once again to ask you a question of self discovery and junk, :D.

Anywho, my question today is as stated above, what is your writing pattern?

What I mean is what is it you find you constantly write about. A system which you feel most and why?

Me - I enjoy going for the lone-explorer type stories, I find that it gives me the opportunity to explore the world round the protagonist as he moves from place to place. I find it enjoyable and can't play to anything else besides that. So that's my writing pattern.

It used to be that everything I wrote included the downfall of an empire - I blame Guy Gavriel Kay. :)

I seem to have got over that now, but looking at trends in my recent work, I'm clearly really interested in:
- non-European fantasy settings; and
- relationships that don't get a traditional happy-ever-after.

Tom

Istar
I find myself writing about people stuck a role they don't want to fulfill. My current MC is a chieftain's son who doesn't want to inherit his father's rule. I also have several short stories in the works about characters in similar positions.

I'm also on some other kicks:

-Norse and Celtic-inspired societies
-Iron Age life
-Exploring societal roles and rules

One of my last kicks was Asian and Middle Eastern-inspired fantasy. I also write a lot about animals and magical creatures forcibly transformed into humans, and subsequently learning to adapt and even thrive in their new forms.

Last edited:
I also write a lot about animals and magical creatures forcibly transformed into humans, and subsequently learning to adapt and even thrive in their new forms.

OOOH. That... actually sounds a whole lot more interesting than humans transformed into animals. lol

Khama

Scribe
Eh, mine is pretty simple. At-least when it comes to the actual written material!

I've been writing a lot about Dwarves, currently. Not your run of the mill greedy, mining, underground drunk Dwarves. More like Dwarves who live in Ice homes in the known northern reaches. These Dwarves who ride dogsleds and hunt small dragons for a living.

Besides that I've written some political intrigued styled stuff. Centered around different societies interacting with a lot of folks behind the scenes.

I like to write dark, eerie stuff that is enough leave you nightmares but at the same time filled with such beautiful scenery and a romantic atmosphere that it may also leave you in tears, almost like a dark lullaby.

I seem to have a few signatures in my writing:

-Frightening quests
-morbid endings
-Dark alternate Universes
-Cursed books
-Beautiful but bloodthirsty villains (I like to call handsome devils :wink:)

These are a few things you'll find in the majority of my writings.

When describing the mood of anything that I write, I like to refer people to gothic metal. It's a beauty that gives you the chills. I like to think of my stories like that movie you saw when you were a kid. The one that terrified you to tears at the time. And then you watch it again and, although it still gives you that eerie chill you felt when you watched it as a child, you can now appreciate the beauty that's in it as well.