• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The First Words Count

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The first one actually appeals to me more.

Same here. All of these sorts of topics are so heavily subjective that while it can be interesting and of value to discuss them, it is a mistake to assume you've hit on the "one true way."

Addison

Auror
Well I guess the example in my writing book was objective. I guess writing a book, while targeted toward a genre type and age range, should be approached like how people design a video game. And I got this example from watching Leverage.
Using Hardison's example from the episode; "First we have Tommy....he's the outgoing, alpha male type motivated by the money. (Hardison prepared Tommy for the con by planting the word 'treasure' in several ads on Tommy's computer) So he's going to play for the treasure. Then there's sister Barbara, she majored in chemical engineering, she runs the financials of the business. She minored in archeology." So imagine that Hardison, instead of explaining a con, he was explaining a story. He explained how we was going to get two people of completely different personalities to read a story. He appealed to different characteristics. Even after Hardison faked a cave-in, and a death, for the con, both Barbara and Tommy wanted to keep going for Treasure and an Archeological discovery.

So I guess the first bite, the hook-line-sinker you present at the beginning, should contain different elements (Bold or Subtle) to appeal to different preferences. This is just my opinion, which I hope helps.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I think you're right. Just as it's important for the beginning to hook the reader it also needs to set the tone for the book. Depending on what type of book you're writing and what kind of audience you're going for your book's tone will be different. I think it's probably important for the opening lines to reflect this.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Same here. All of these sorts of topics are so heavily subjective that while it can be interesting and of value to discuss them, it is a mistake to assume you've hit on the "one true way."

The opening should be interesting. It's the only requirement. People's opinions on style and delivery are so varied it's impossible to appeal to everyone in that manner.

The effort to pen an interesting opener can take many forms. Even then, what one finds interesting may not appeal to another. Accept this and just write what you find engaging in that style that appeals to you.

There are readers like you out there just waiting to read the hook you've fashioned for yourself. It'll have the same effect on them.

Last edited:

Nameback

Troubadour
I know I'm sort of necroposting, but I liked this thread and I just re-wrote my introduction. I originally had an in-media-res beginning to my story, but the problem was that I couldn't start in the middle of any real action, so it felt kind of general and boring the more I re-read it. Here's my new beginning (technically it's my first 241 words, but close enough):

" Sometimes, nothing seemed better to her than to be unloved. Being loved can be a burden for any of us of course–an emotion that comes tied up with obligation, constraint, and the expectation of reciprocity–but it was especially so for Era, because of her father, and because of the lack of siblings to soften and divert the impact of loves that instead fell solely on her. Her father was the king of Arade, Jewel of Spirolia, after all, and Era was his only heir. Or, more accurately, the man who would marry Era would be the king’s only heir, and Era was the only legitimate conduit through which the royal line could continue. She was–she often felt–a sort of glorified basket, carrying things from here to there and that she would be completely uninteresting if not for her contents.

But because of those precious contents–title, royalty, fortunes, armies, power, the fate of a city–she was indeed interesting, and well-loved. Her people loved her because she seemed kind and generous from afar. Her family loved her because they thought she was dutiful. Men loved her because she was beautiful. And her suitors loved her because she was a basket. Not even a complete list, it was nevertheless an exhausting one that demanded constant attention. Nowhere on the list could Era find herself–but then, there was little that she loved about herself, so that was appropriate. "

Jabrosky

Banned
I know I'm sort of necroposting, but I liked this thread and I just re-wrote my introduction. I originally had an in-media-res beginning to my story, but the problem was that I couldn't start in the middle of any real action, so it felt kind of general and boring the more I re-read it. Here's my new beginning (technically it's my first 241 words, but close enough):

" Sometimes, nothing seemed better to her than to be unloved. Being loved can be a burden for any of us of course—an emotion that comes tied up with obligation, constraint, and the expectation of reciprocity—but it was especially so for Era, because of her father, and because of the lack of siblings to soften and divert the impact of loves that instead fell solely on her. Her father was the king of Arade, Jewel of Spirolia, after all, and Era was his only heir. Or, more accurately, the man who would marry Era would be the king’s only heir, and Era was the only legitimate conduit through which the royal line could continue. She was—she often felt—a sort of glorified basket, carrying things from here to there and that she would be completely uninteresting if not for her contents.

But because of those precious contents—title, royalty, fortunes, armies, power, the fate of a city—she was indeed interesting, and well-loved. Her people loved her because she seemed kind and generous from afar. Her family loved her because they thought she was dutiful. Men loved her because she was beautiful. And her suitors loved her because she was a basket. Not even a complete list, it was nevertheless an exhausting one that demanded constant attention. Nowhere on the list could Era find herself—but then, there was little that she loved about herself, so that was appropriate. "
I have to be honest, I think the in-media-res beginning in the draft you sent me worked better for me. This would be better squeezed into a later part of the story if possible.

Alexander

Acolyte
I remember, I can't recall exactly from where, a book that I had been reading talked about making good introductions. It suggested dialogue, or some piece of action being the first things to go into the novel. Personally, I try to start with a character speaking, asking a question, something of that nature. Also, when I was having someone read the rough draft of my book, they said that the prologue was the hardest part to read. Looking back, it was primarily because I had tried to introduce too much of the setting at first. My own personal advice for an opening, because of this, is the following:
1. Start the book with its main focus, and hopefully, with some dialog, action, or thought.
2. For the sake of all that is holy, do not put an info-dump into the first few pages.

Nameback

Troubadour
I have to be honest, I think the in-media-res beginning in the draft you sent me worked better for me. This would be better squeezed into a later part of the story if possible.

I was trying to go for something a bit more literary, I guess, and to establish tone/voice early on, but it's also a trickier thing to pull off.

Jabrosky

Banned
I was trying to go for something a bit more literary, I guess, and to establish tone/voice early on, but it's also a trickier thing to pull off.
Maybe it would look better in the context of the whole chapter. Would it be possible for you to share your revised first chapter in the Showcase?

Jabrosky

Banned
For my own current WIP I had my protagonist perform an action in the very first sentence, and then described her and the surroundings. I'm going to emulate Nameback by pimping the first ~200 words of my opening scene.

Jabrosky said:
Ketabu tugged the reins on her chariot's zebra to halt it. The yellow grass which stretched up to the zebra's shoulders grew too dense to allow further riding, as if she and her brother Puweni hadn't ridden far enough into the savanna. Acacia and baobab trees studded the landscape around them, but there appeared no more signs of Akhiptan civilization. No temples or shrines, no obelisks, not even farmers' huts. Even the great pyramids in which Ketabu and Puweni's ancestors rested had disappeared uncounted hours behind them.

Never before had either of them ventured so far into the northern frontier, away from the safety of their father's palace. The neck-hairs behind Ketabu's cornrows prickled from that mere consideration.

After checking the sword sheathed along her belt, she fished out her hunting bow and quiver and leaped off her chariot. Perspiration glittered all over her dark brown figure, which a youth's worth of training in the fighting arts had sculpted lithe yet muscular. A bejeweled cobra rearing from her gold headband showed Ketabu's status as a daughter of King Djekahi himself. Most women throughout Akhiptu would have envied that privilege, yet they did not know that with great privilege came great risks.

Especially if you went beyond the boundaries of that privilege.

Nameback

Troubadour
For my own current WIP I had my protagonist perform an action in the very first sentence, and then described her and the surroundings. I'm going to emulate Nameback by pimping the first ~200 words of my opening scene.

I think it's a good opening because it establishes place very clearly (Egypt-esque) and makes us wonder what's going on. Why are they so far from home? Why are they armed and what are they looking for? I think raising questions early on is a good move. I think there's perhaps just a tad too much exposition and maybe fewer names would be better, as that can confuse a reader all at once. Also, minor quibble, but zebras are notoriously ornery animals and basically impossible to train. Then again, I'm sure you know that and there's a reason for it, but it thew me for a bit of a loop, because I'm pedantic like that.

Jabrosky

Banned
I think it's a good opening because it establishes place very clearly (Egypt-esque) and makes us wonder what's going on. Why are they so far from home? Why are they armed and what are they looking for? I think raising questions early on is a good move. I think there's perhaps just a tad too much exposition and maybe fewer names would be better, as that can confuse a reader all at once. Also, minor quibble, but zebras are notoriously ornery animals and basically impossible to train. Then again, I'm sure you know that and there's a reason for it, but it thew me for a bit of a loop, because I'm pedantic like that.
Thank you.

I get that wild zebras in the real world are impossible to train, but these are obviously a domesticated breed. Besides, they fit the setting better than garden-variety horses in my opinion.

Nameback

Troubadour
Thank you.

I get that wild zebras in the real world are impossible to train, but these are obviously a domesticated breed. Besides, they fit the setting better than garden-variety horses in my opinion.

Yeah, and it is fantasy after all! Definitely a nitpick of the narrowest kind.

Fyle

Inkling
Are we thinking prologue or chapter 1?

Has this been addressed? Seems pretty important and I wonder this myself.

I kinda designed my prologue to hopefully hook. And of course, I would assume that is what most readers read first.