• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do large breasts interfere with use of a two-handed sword?

Disclaimer 1: This may have been asked before, but I could not find anything through a search.

Disclaimer 2: My interest is strictly professional, not prurient.

Disclaimer 3: Not really sure is this is the right forum for the question.

So, I've noticed that women, especially if they are well endowed, tend to sit closer to the steering wheel than men when they drive to because it is more comfortable to hold the wheel on the sides. In contrast, men tend to rest their hands on the top of the wheel, crossing their arms across their chests. (This is a completely unscientific observation, strictly anecdotal). We have seen plenty of women using swords in movies and television. I've seen women do sword demonstrations live, including some who were very shapely. But, I don't think I have ever seen a woman with large breasts using a two-handed sword. Most women use them one-handed. Women I've seen using a two-handed style tend to be flat-chested (not that there is anything wrong with that). I know breast size does not really affect archery or a lot of other things.

I am not looking for an absolute answer, because I can see different women approaching the whole thing differently. Is it realistic that a larger woman would avoid a two-handed sword or at least choose a different weapon based on her physique? This could be a very small detail or a major plot-point depending on context.

Saigonnus

Auror
I can't imagine it would; though I guess it would depend on your definition of "large-breasted". In the real world, when a woman builds up her physique muscle-wise; through regular strenuous activity, it tends to reduce the size of her breasts at least a bit and replace the underlying tissue with muscle instead. It goes for one-handed weapons and martial arts in general. Add that to her wearing a breastplate or armor; which would cinch them down a bit beneath them, I doubt it would be an issue. Like being left-handed, it may simply be something she would need to get used to.

In realistic armor I would imagine it would be like wearing a sports bra. Keep them in place and out of the way. But unless she just suddenly develops large breasts instantly, she would have trained with them and been used to them so she should be as proficient as a smaller sized woman.

Hi,

Swords I don't know. But the most famous warrior women of history - the amazons - used to cut off their right breast so that they could pull back the draw string of a bow.

Cheers, Greg.

Tom

Istar
Don't know about two-handed swords, but in fencing I've noticed that the bigger-busted ladies tend to hold their weapons so their arms are positioned closer to their chests, lessening the strain of the jacket across the chest and increasing range. The plastic chest protectors we wear for bouts are a little like breastplates, and they do somewhat compress the chest. And whether you're male or female, those damn things pinch. But I digress.

I usually wear a flat one, but once I lost mine and had to use one of the club's women's chest protectors. They're shaped to accommodate the breasts. Man, talk about uncomfortable! I couldn't move my arms across my chest without the stupid thing getting in the way. Not to mention that the breast-bump-thingies guide your opponent's blade tip right into the middle of your chest, which is the ideal target area! But I digress again.

So yes, larger breasts would probably restrict mobility, especially arm movement across the chest. For a large-chested warrior woman I'd recommend something like a rapier, since it's a one-handed weapon, and the guard position falls on one side of the body instead of in the middle, so arm reach wouldn't be too big of a problem.

Last edited:
Not to mention that the breast-bump-thingies guide your opponent's blade tip right into the middle of your chest, which is the ideal target area!
And that, right there, is the reason why breastplates-with-breasts are a stupid idea. I get why artists like them, but they're just plain unrealistic.

Of course, as Hainted pointed out: women with breasts are used to having breasts. It's not the same as suddenly having them there. They're part of the topography. It might be an interesting question for a woman being trained by a man, though. She couldn't necessarily do things the way he did them or told her to do them. But we find a way. And we usually find it without cutting a breast off. Not to mention, as also previously noted, sports bras and equivalent support-without-enhancement underwear doesn't present the girls like modern bras do.

I read an article on the amazon myth that cutting off / burning a breast would be incredibly traumatic and probably fatal in ancient times, so if amazons ever did exist they probably didn't do this. Its one thing to cut the skin (as many tribal cultures do/did) another to remove a large part of the body. The pictures of amazons on pots etc always show them with both breasts. And as cupiscent said, people find a way to do what they need to do and ideally without risking death!

Butterfly

Auror
Firstly, the way any driver is supposed to hold a steering wheel is with both hands on the sides, at 10 and 2 not with one hand on top or the bottom, and definitely not with hands croseed over the chest. It's a matter of steering control and driving correctly and with safety and nothing to do with breast size.

On the other hand, how do you know if those women you've seen using two handed swords are actually as flat chested as they seem? How do you know they haven't simply strapped their boobs up with bondage tape?

Hi,

Well I'm not going to weigh in on the accuracy of the legend - the amazons may not have existed at all. (Should have said that before - sorry.) But my understanding is that their very name amazon means one breasted or without breast. Also that it was done in childhood by means of a burning rod.

Cheers Greg.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Each person is unique. What bothers one person may not bother anther. Two women with very similar body types can have polar opposite issues and abilities. One may have back problems because of their large chests while the other may have no issues at all. One may be agile while the other may be clumsy. One may be able to swing a two-handed sword while the other may not.

Don't think in generalities. Think in specifics. What abilities and characteristics does your character have? There are always exceptions to the rule, so any character can be the exception.

For example, the average height in the NBA is 6'7". So generally speaking you have to be around that height to make it as a professional basketball player. BUT then you have Mugsy Bogues 5"3" who not only made it into the NBA, he could slam dunk.

So to answer your question, it depends. It depends on the character and how you define them. And you can define them how ever you want. Because there are infinite variations to people and their abilites, and one of those variations will be the woman with the big chest that can swing a two handed sword without issue.

So true, getting cleaved for the sake of cleavage just isn't right.

Agree with all points, and here's one more: the whole decision to use a two-handed weapon, for anyone, is highly personal anyway. We've had threads about this, and some cultures were partial to them (vikings, some Celtic groups, and of course the Japanese). But all in all, weapon-and-shield is safer and might be more effective over a long fight. If someone trains for a two-handed weapon it's because their people like them, or everyone is in full plate armor anyway, or they just choose pure offence over balance. For a decision like that, breast size ought to be the least of her issues.

I can't speak to the issue as a woman, but I can as a golfer. I have read that large-breasted golfers can have a bit of a problem because a good grip requires your arms to make a triangle with the hands at the tip and your shoulders as the base. Large breasts would thus be constricted or force the golfer's arms out of good alignment. Using a two-handed sword, according to various videos I've watched might cause the same problem. They weren't wielded like a rapier or a baseball bat, but with an almost a baton-like twirling motion that might require the same triangular constriction for good form. Of course, proper armor that would bulge across chest to guide blows away from the vitals, would obviate the underlying issue.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I tend to use two-handers for imagery (looks more heroic than a shield), and when a woman wields one she is either a large barbarian (muscular, not large as is "well endowed") or an athletic monster huntress. My petite monk (I prefer the term "fighting nun") has bandages under her robes to hold everything in place, and I imagine my armored characters do something similar to simulate the yet-to-be-invented sports bra.

For reasons already stated, female armor should not offer Victoria's Secret type support. Female armor should look like male armor. You'd think companies that make fencing gear would know better than to funnel the pointy end straight into the sternum.

EDIT - I'd imagine if the breasts are very large, it might limit mobility like what the post says above about golfers. In that case, her sense of self-preservation might lead her to another weapon of choice.

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
For reasons already stated, female armor should not offer Victoria's Secret type support. Female armor should look like male armor. You'd think companies that make fencing gear would know better than to funnel the pointy end straight into the sternum.

Yeah, you'd think. It's a problem that a lot of female fencers complain about (including my coach), and most wear men's flat chest protectors instead.

glutton

Inkling
But all in all, weapon-and-shield is safer and might be more effective over a long fight. If someone trains for a two-handed weapon it's because their people like them, or everyone is in full plate armor anyway, or they just choose pure offence over balance.

That or in a fantasy setting, the heavy two-handed weapon is better at cleaving dragons. XD

Mythopoet

Auror
I've never fenced or had any experience with using a sword other than sometimes swinging around the one I got from the Ren Fest, but as someone with breasts on the larger side (though probably not approaching anime standards for large breasts) I do feel like they can be a huge pain sometimes. I actually have a tendency to wear bras more on the sports bra side for that reason. Anything else tends not to be supportive enough. And wearing a bra vs. wearing none is vastly different. You really need good support. One thing to think about is that they make a difference in how your body is balanced. I've often wished I had smaller breasts.

Vilya

Scribe
First of all I agree with everyone on the ridiculousness of what I call "boobie plate armor." I really think that by the time breasts are bound down by the armor they wouldn't be any more obstructive then large pectoral muscles on a man.

First of all I agree with everyone on the ridiculousness of what I call "boobie plate armor." I really think that by the time breasts are bound down by the armor they wouldn't be any more obstructive then large pectoral muscles on a man.

Yes, and we all know Arnie managed to not stumble over his pecs while wielding a two handed sword in Conan!