• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Way of Kings

Probably one of the best novels I've read since The Name of the Wind. Brandon Sanderson creates a beautiful and unique world, with characters that are intriguing. I loved the book, but my question is does anyone else?

I've brought it up here a lot in the past. Read it through right around the release date. Great novel. Some thoughts...

* As he is Sanderson, he's allowed to release a number 1 of 12 series with 1000 words. Budding authors, don't expect this. You won't be allowed.

* Probably the most original magical system ever...beating out # 2, another Sanderson invention in Mistborn.

* The characters have a lot of depth, though our primary protagonist does have some hints of Spartacus.

* He stole my idea. I love the complex landscape and battlefield that is the series of pillars/plateaus/what-have-you with the gullies and ditches in between. The need for bridges in combat. Etc. I love it. But I swear I thought of this a long time ago. Geeze!

* There are a ton of errors. Since working on and getting my own books published (two now), I have become a stickler for reading errors...even though I don't want to. I found a handful in my first novel. BUT, The Way of Kings has tons; I lost count at 70-something. Most of the errors occured after page 700. I think the editors and those involved just got tired.

myrddin173

Maester
I read it a couple weeks ago and I'm in the midst of writing a review, so keep posted for that. For now I will say I loved it, but then again I haven't read something by Brandon I haven't liked. I still like the Mistborn series better, but that's because we still haven't seen very much of the Stormlight Archive. One thing I did love was that it revealed a treasure trove of information for the Cosmere at large.