• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need help coming up with a term for a magical occupation.

I've got a modern fantasy setting and a character works for a corporation. Now the people who maintain the computers, and systems are IT or Information Technology but what would the magical equivalent of that be? You know the people who maintain the magic mirrors, and enchanted record books, etc...

Enchanted Technology, Information Magical, Information Enchanted....

If it's a world that is based solely on magic, then I think it's fine to cal them 'engineer' or 'technician'.
If the world has both technology and magic, you can slap a magical in front.

The abbreviation for magical engineer could then be ME.
'I've called over the MEs already. They'll be here soon to fix the mirror."

LordFalco

Minstrel
You could go with "gadgeteer" for a more video game feel. Those guys always gave me fits down in the dungeon.

Queshire

Auror
My love of Exalted makes me partial to Sorcerer Engineer or Technician, though I also second Artificer for the D&D connotations.

It's a mixture of tech and magic so depending on the client it could be phone, e-mail, magic mirror, enchanted scroll, pixie delivery service, etc. ME could work but every time I see it I think Medical Examiner. My original idea was Magical Information Technologies but that's MIT. Maybe just MI. or Magical Information Exchange MIE

I third "artificer."

I'm now going to write a story based on my initial misreading of that word, an "artisinal magician." He doesn't use your store bought common magic or even the professional grade stuff taught at the wizard colleges. He's does magic the old-fashioned way, the real way, cutting his own flora, crushing his own gems, making his own scroll paper and ink, so the magic means something again.

Artificer is definitely what they are, but lacks the dehumanizing blandness of corporate-speak. It's like my day job used to be called Dock Worker, or Teamster but now I'm just a Material Handler(like every other non-management employee in the company)

Delwyn

Dreamer
If someone were to ask me - or if I was writing a story along those lines - I would probably call the person who maintains the magic mirror - a Mirtech, or Portal Division Coordinator or Portal operations? For the enchanted record books, maybe Akashic Registry or registrar. Just a thought! Good luck!

HabeasCorpus

Minstrel
I think this would be an opportunity to create a particular title and term unique to your world - rather than a generic term, base it off something one of the underlying aspects of the job. To take your example, IT, information technology is based around the idea of everything to do with the administration and facilitation of the transfer of information. Perhaps there's a common denominator to what they'll be doing that could help you out?

FarmerBrown

Troubadour
Magitech, magic squad (instead of geek squad), arcangineer, sorcerator, conductor (stolen from Tales of Xillia)... And aethermaester!

The word engineer is derived from the Latin roots ingeniare ("to contrive, devise") and ingenium ("cleverness"). - wikipedia, 2015

Ingenium could be the name of the Corp, and Ingeneer could be magical engineers.

You're with Ingenium?
They're sending some Ingeneers.
****ing Ingeneers, I should've called my mother and she'd have done a better job.

Might work.