• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ireth

Myth Weaver
So, Quasimodo spent his whole life in the belltower of Notre Dame, right? But he couldn't have been the bellringer for all that time, because he would've had to wait until he was big/old/strong enough to reach and ring the bells. So who was the bellringer before Quasi, and why did they stop? Did they teach Quasi how to do the job and then just retire? Did they die? I want to know!

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
So, Quasimodo spent his whole life in the belltower of Notre Dame, right? But he couldn't have been the bellringer for all that time, because he would've had to wait until he was big/old/strong enough to reach and ring the bells. So who was the bellringer before Quasi, and why did they stop? Did they teach Quasi how to do the job and then just retire? Did they die? I want to know!
He probably did have a predecessor who taught him how to do it, though they must have left his life soon afterward. Also, Quasi would have needed someone to teach him how to whittle all those wooden figurines (Frollo doesn't seem like the kind who would support such creative ventures wholeheartedly).

Though in both cases, there are those gargoyles to take into account...

Ireth

Myth Weaver
True. The thing with the gargoyles, though, depends on whether you interpret them as actually animate or just figments of Quasi's imagination. (I'm still wrestling with how to answer that question in a fantasy reimagining of this story. Only my story involves tapestries instead of gargoyles.)

Tom

Istar
This annoyed me.

Funny-LOTR-J-RR-Tolkien-W630.jpg

Its real name is Orodruin or Amon Amarth, you idiot. Mt. Doom is its Westron translation. Do some research before you insult one of the greatest fantasy writers of the 20th century.

Had Australia Day fireworks last night and festival fireworks the night before - double fun! My son and I are BIG fans of fireworks. This year they had fireworks that spun about in the air, I hadn't seen those before. Also they had these big chrysanthemums that hung in the air - awesome.

Unfortunately firecrackers are banned in Western Australia - they used to be available back in my mum's day but too many people got hurt so they banned them. Anyone live in a place where you can use them??

Tom

Istar
[Hick voice]Heck yeah. My cousins always stock up on fireworks and firecrackers for their big Fourth of July fireworks show. One year the neighbors had the police called out because they thought we were lighting off fireworks while drunk.[/Hick voice]

There was a lot of cheering, whooping, and yelling, some of it not exactly sober-sounding, I have to concede.

So, what are some Australia Day traditions?

Last edited:
Haha sounds like fun! When I was in India I got to use firecrackers for the annual Diwali festival, the whole town sounded like a warzone for two days. Gotta love India and its festivals! :D

Australia Day is traditionally a day for the outdoors - BBQs, cricket, the beach. For many its celebrating a day off work and drinking lots of beer. Then its fireworks at night!

With our colonial past there is some controversy - for Indigenous people its not a celebration but a reminder of a society lost.

Jabrosky

Banned
Does anyone know if authors who publish Kindle books on Amazon.com can edit customer reviews of their work?

Three weeks ago, I wrote a 1-star review of a self-published "historical romance" novel set in ancient Egypt, criticizing it for numerous flagrant inaccuracies and atrocious characterization (especially the male lead). My review was ~700 words long, but when I went to check on it this morning, only the concluding paragraph remained. And since this paragraph started with "All that aside", it should have been clear to any browser with a brain that there was originally more text preceding it. All my criticisms of the book's historical errors happened to be in the excised text.

Luckily I was able to recover my original review in its entirety from a Google cache, but I still wonder who would have tampered with it in the first place. Was it Amazon.com? They didn't send me a message that there was anything against site policy in my review, and I'm pretty sure it had no personal attacks or insults against the author's character. The only other conclusion that makes sense is that the book's author herself, or someone associated with her, was somehow able to cut out my criticisms. If it's the latter, she sure gave me even more reason to avoid the rest of her work.

Tom

Istar
Does anyone know if authors who publish Kindle books on Amazon.com can edit customer reviews of their work?

Three weeks ago, I wrote a 1-star review of a self-published "historical romance" novel set in ancient Egypt, criticizing it for numerous flagrant inaccuracies and atrocious characterization (especially the male lead). My review was ~700 words long, but when I went to check on it this morning, only the concluding paragraph remained. And since this paragraph started with "All that aside", it should have been clear to any browser with a brain that there was originally more text preceding it. All my criticisms of the book's historical errors happened to be in the excised text.

Luckily I was able to recover my original review in its entirety from a Google cache, but I still wonder who would have tampered with it in the first place. Was it Amazon.com? They didn't send me a message that there was anything against site policy in my review, and I'm pretty sure it had no personal attacks or insults against the author's character. The only other conclusion that makes sense is that the book's author herself, or someone associated with her, was somehow able to cut out my criticisms. If it's the latter, she sure gave me even more reason to avoid the rest of her work.

I once posted a critique of an artist's work (back when DeviantArt still allowed anon comments) that pointed out several egregious technique errors and offered what I thought was sensible advice. Several other people chimed in in my favor. Two days later, I looked at the same page to find that my comment--and everyone else's who had agreed with me--had been deleted. Apparently someone didn't want my advice and didn't want anyone else to see that I had pointed out mistakes in their work.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Anyone live in a place where you can use them??
They are illegal in Massachusetts… er, so "no" for me, but I'm going somewhere with this.

However, there is a certain pond where the homeowners launch fireworks anyway. One of my friends has relatives who own a place along the pond, so for a few years, I watched five different households (or summer-home-holds?) launching fireworks that were snuck over the border from New Hampshire.

There was a police cruiser parked near the pond. Why? Because policemen like watching fireworks, too.

Tom

Istar
They are illegal in Massachusetts… er, so "no" for me, but I'm going somewhere with this.

However, there is a certain pond where the homeowners launch fireworks anyway. One of my friends has relatives who own a place along the pond, so for a few years, I watched five different households (or summer-home-holds?) launching fireworks that were snuck over the border from New Hampshire.

There was a police cruiser parked near the pond. Why? Because policemen like watching fireworks, too.

Technically, it's illegal to own fireworks in New York, and you have to go over the border to Pennsylvania to buy them, but the cops don't really care. There's a huge fireworks show at Conesus Lake every 3rd of July called The Ring of Fire. The summer people put on displays that rival Disney's.

THIS is what I'm talking about:

images

In person, it's awe-inspiringly dumbfounding. 24 hours later your ears are still ringing from the noise--it sounds like a bombing raid in full swing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Indisputable scientific fact:
Snots are a base.

Questionably-conclusive evidence:
My oldest and I were playing with her Magic Science Kit. We mixed acids and bases with beet powder, which turns water purple. Add citric acid, the purple liquid turns red. Add baking soda, the purple liquid turns blue. And of course you have to mix acid and bases. You just have to.

So, after we were done making a mess of the kitchen, I had purple powder all over my finger tips. Before washing off the powder, I had to blow my nose. I did. The wet part of the tissue turned blue.

For science!

SeverinR

Vala
Snot something I needed to know.

Fireworks are legal to buy in Indiana. Fireworks are illegal to use in Indiana. Fireworks are illegal to use in every bordering state to Indiana.

Walking the 6 blocks to the official 4th of July fireworks display in Indiana was like a war zone. Fireworks of all varieties* going off in the streets near the crowds of people. *explosives, fire sprayers, spinners, rockets, mortars, or all sizes in 2 lane streets with 20-30 people walking in the streets (per block.)
It was at that time, that I realized why fireworks were illegal. Because the world is full of idiots.

SeverinR

Vala
New tv/movie Trope:

when in a factory or basement,1 shot in 10 will find a steam pipe or hot water pipe.

Did laugh at Walker Texas Ranger this evening.
"He's seizing! Grab the crash cart!"

Normal seizures don't need a crash cart. Prolonged seizures are life threatening, they were 20 seconds into the event.

Watching Gotham now, My prediction:
Detective Gordan just kissed a lady, now She won't survive two shows.

Tom

Istar
I had a weird dream last night that I just remembered in the middle of math homework. Some of you guys came over to my place and hung out for a day. It was very strange and kind of fascinating, since my subconscious had the hard job of building a real-life appearance for everyone. Except Legendary Sidekick. He was himself. :)

Svrtnsse and I were stargazing on the roof, and Ireth was doing something in the kitchen that involved chemistry equipment and a Lovecraft anthology. I think she was trying to bring Cthulhu to life...Like I said, weird. Legendary was reading through my papers from last semester and red-penning them while muttering about stylistic gaffes. Someone else was reading through my Robert Burns collection; I think it was Incanus, because he was using big words. XD

Then we all went to Comic Con in Buffalo. Why? I don't know. While we were there, Ireth bought a promotional poster for The Silmarillion, which was apparently being made into a movie. It had Fëanor front and center, with this insane grin on his face and a Silmaril cupped in his hands. Which is...er...not how one holds a Silmaril. Ouch.

...And then I woke up. Sorry. Feeling rambly.

Tom

Istar
Haha. I seem to have run out of thanks too.

I think I had that dream because I've been steeping myself in my writing and frequenting the forums a lot more than usual. I've also been getting to know you guys better, and figuring out your personalities. I'm going to be without internet access for the weekend, and I think I'm going to miss all of you for even that very short amount of time.

By the way, Ireth, you remind me of Limyaael. I don't know why. *randomness*

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
Jurassic Park may hold a special place in my heart, but there's one plot element in it that's bugged me for years: why did inGEN's cloning team make the dinosaurs all female?

You would think they'd want the dinosaurs reproducing in the park. That way they'd only need to clone the first generation while letting the dinosaurs themselves take care of the rest. Furthermore, if dinosaurs were anything like most modern-day birds and reptiles, the males could attract more visitors since they would be more colorful and showy. As it happened, all the dinosaurs in the first movie were drab shades of brown or gray even though the big trend in 1990s paleo-art was giving them more color and hide patterns.

Also, if you listen carefully to the dialogue, the characters aren't even consistent about the all-female thing, except maybe for the raptors.

"T. Rex doesn't want to be fed, he wants to hunt."

Honestly the whole thing, together with the bizarre choice of frog DNA for patching, seems set up to support the "life finds a way" theme. Even if inGEN had a legitimate reason for making their dinosaurs all female, Grant and the kids wouldn't have even found that nest in the jungle if they had opted for crocodilian or bird DNA instead.

Incanus

Auror
I had a weird dream last night that I just remembered in the middle of math homework. Some of you guys came over to my place and hung out for a day. It was very strange and kind of fascinating, since my subconscious had the hard job of building a real-life appearance for everyone. Except Legendary Sidekick. He was himself. :)

Svrtnsse and I were stargazing on the roof, and Ireth was doing something in the kitchen that involved chemistry equipment and a Lovecraft anthology. I think she was trying to bring Cthulhu to life...Like I said, weird. Legendary was reading through my papers from last semester and red-penning them while muttering about stylistic gaffes. Someone else was reading through my Robert Burns collection; I think it was Incanus, because he was using big words. XD

Then we all went to Comic Con in Buffalo. Why? I don't know. While we were there, Ireth bought a promotional poster for The Silmarillion, which was apparently being made into a movie. It had Fëanor front and center, with this insane grin on his face and a Silmaril cupped in his hands. Which is...er...not how one holds a Silmaril. Ouch.

...And then I woke up. Sorry. Feeling rambly.

Wow, that's quite a dream!! Good job, remembering it so clearly. So few of mine survive being translated into words, and even then, they tend to not have much story. More like bizarre incidents, or instances, that turn into fleeting mists the moment any light begins to be shed on them. With a few notable exceptions, of course.

Oh, man! I want a Mythic Scribes dream too! Where can I get one?

Reactions: Tom