• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

DreamReaper

LadyofKaos

Scribe
I'm steadily getting the second book in shape for what I hope is a 2015 release. I commissioned this cover a while ago. I think it works good for an e-book, but do you think it will transfer well into an actual printed cover? Please share your likes, dislikes, and/or suggestions!

Dreamreaper_book_cover2.jpg

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Personally... and while I write very Gothically, I'm a fan of minimalism [architecture, art, music etc.]
The cover is arresting, but I'd like something a little clearer and plainer...
The Title seems a little lost and I'm not sure if the II refers to dreamreaper or Blood of Kaos.
[Actually I read dreamreaper as dreamcaper, the first time I looked at the cover as the gothic m and r sort of run together and the e kind of looks like a c... to me at least.]
And the Author's name is fairly lost... Maybe that is your aim and I'm not saying it needs to fill/dominate the cover, but it is a little too modest perhaps...
I don't use ebooks so have nothing really to measure it against...
Hope this is helpful...

LadyofKaos

Scribe
Very helpful feedback! While it is eye-catching (and I admit that I loved it the first time I saw it) it is a busy cover. You're right, the important bits are lost in a menagerie of artistic confusion. Thank you, CupofJoe

GregTaylor

Dreamer
Hey LadyofKaos,

I like it, if anything it has many dominant features which makes it a little hard to read the text.. but all a matter of preference.

Good luck with the print :)

Mythopoet

Auror
I have to say that there is nothing about it that I like. I would pass over this in a millisecond without even taking the time to try to decipher the title.

That font work is some of the worst I've seen and I have a bad habit of browsing Lousy Book Covers. It is barely legible and horribly overwrought.

The images are chaotic and meaningless. The swords are just hanging out there in midair... the guy's hair doesn't even look like it's really his...

Looking at this cover completely out of context (which it doesn't provide for me at all) I would expect it to be a melodramatic twilight ripoff or something along those lines.

If I paid someone for this cover I would ask for a refund and tell them to go back to graphic design school. I'm not saying any of this to be insulting. That's my honest assessment. It's really bad.

LadyofKaos

Scribe
I came here for honesty, so please let it roll. Obviously if I were comfortable with it I would not have posted it here. I value everyone's opinion. If I were a graphics design person, I'd find a way to fix it. There are aspects of it that I like. But it's obviously not sending the right message. Thank you Mythopoet & Greg. Back to the drawing board (so to speak)!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Back to the drawing board (so to speak)!

I think that is probably for the best.
If nothing else, the title of the book as well as the name of the author is really hard to read. (and by really hard I mean I actually have to think to decipher it).

Best of luck though. :)

Ky2015

Acolyte
While a lot of people have problems with the fonts and stuff, I really dislike the figure on the cover. If you removed that, moved the title up, and made some modifications... I dunno.

There are some things that could work. I like the cover, but it's a little dark? The swords are nice! Maybe run it by somebody who does graphics and get some constructive advice. What are some of the features you absolutely want to keep?

Tom

Istar
If I were you, I'd probably look for a new cover artist.

I think the human figure is mostly okay (except for the hair, which does not cast a shadow and is clearly copy-and-paste), but it does give off a sort of Harlequin Romance feel. It's also a passive element. It really does nothing to show what kind of story you're telling. I'd suggest, instead of the swords being part of the text, the man should be holding them. Maybe then he would have the air of menace I think he's supposed to have.

It was the text that really made me wince. The Gothic font of the main title is almost illegible--if I didn't already know the title, I would think it was either Dreamcaper or Dreamscaper. And it's not just the font's fault. Transposing red text onto a red-dominated background makes it hard to read. Also, having the subtitles layered beneath it heightens the chance that I won't be able to read it. I also didn't like the subtitles' font. Its sleek, modern look jarred with the Gothic title font.

The swords seem tacked on almost as an afterthought as well. Their edges are too hard, so they look like a crummy copy-and-paste. I don't like their addition; they're distracting from the main image.

Overall, I think the theme of red, black, and white is the strongest element, and the best thing this cover has going for it. If all that distracting text could be streamlined, the swords omitted or worked into the main image, and the figure made more dynamic, it would come together as a nice, appealing, eye-catching cover.

Urgh. Sorry about this long critique.

for me as a person who reads 3-5 books a week that cover dos not work for me as others mentoined it too over done and very poor at that what you need a cover that appeals to readers at the same time complaints your writing as reader that what i found out. overerall too messy

Last edited:

LadyofKaos

Scribe
Originally what I had in mind was a hooded figure with the hilts of the swords showing just behind the shoulders, giving the effect of being sheathed on the back. Unfortunately, the person I was working with wasn't able to do this so came up with this version. Also, the swords are supposed to be black-bladed scimitars. I've never liked the hair - it doesn't even look real. However, I do like the red/black/white theme. With this being a part of the Blood of Kaos series, I think it's appropriate.

Thank you so very much for your advices & suggestions! I've worked too hard on the inside for the outside to let it down. Once I find a new artist, I hope to share the new cover with you and see what you think.

Tom

Istar
Originally what I had in mind was a hooded figure with the hilts of the swords showing just behind the shoulders, giving the effect of being sheathed on the back. Unfortunately, the person I was working with wasn't able to do this so came up with this version. Also, the swords are supposed to be black-bladed scimitars. I've never liked the hair - it doesn't even look real. However, I do like the red/black/white theme. With this being a part of the Blood of Kaos series, I think it's appropriate.

Thank you so very much for your advices & suggestions! I've worked too hard on the inside for the outside to let it down. Once I find a new artist, I hope to share the new cover with you and see what you think.

Your idea sounds far superior to the end product. I wish you luck in finding a graphic designer who's more talented and willing to listen to your ideas (this one obviously ignored you on the part with the swords).

Fyle

Inkling
The swords being exactly the same kinda bother me. Just looks like they are cut and pasted.

The text is too dark as in contrast to the and the backround.

However, for me, the layout is good.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
For me there is too much red and black and the words tend to jumble together. The letters need to have an outline of white or gold or another colour to make them stand out from the background. Consider separating "Dreamreaper" from "Blood of Chaos II" and more space between your name and the title. I like the image of the figure and overall I get a 'romance warrior' type of feel.

LadyofKaos

Scribe
I've been playing around with the cover this afternoon. What do you think of this one? Am I on the right track? Is it too simple or amateurish? Just as a reminder - it's an urban fantasy

bookcover_2a.jpg

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I feel this is a vast improvement over the previous one. However, it doesn't look like it's the cover of an urban fantasy novel. I'm picturing more of a renaissance era story, possibly with vampires, and for that I think it would have been really good.

I'm not too good on the design aspect, but I think that maybe a more modern looking font for the title might make it look more contemporary.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The advice I got when tinkering with my cover was to try and keep it as simple as possible and to avoid outlines and shadow effects and such. It's fun to tinker with all the settings, but it's not always needed.

The swords already hint there's some kind of historical/old elements to the story, so adding to that with a font that hints at olden times as well may be what's making it look as if it's set in the past.