• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tell me about your project

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
You guys really have a wild assortment of projects and I'm always amused when I come back and read this thread. I'm going to have to read some of these because it's such a varied list but they sound great!

Giya Kusezu

Dreamer

Hooray for kindred spirits, procrastinating with the best of them! You're my new hero. What do you sew, paint, and garden? Me too ;)

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has a lot of distractions! I once heard the term ADOS, and it makes me laugh because it's so true. I'm Attention Deficit - Oh Shiny!

What do you guys like to garden? For me, it's about anything I can get my hands on. Right now I have far too many citrus seedlings in my back room that I started from seeds. Hey, I didn't know that all eight of the pomelo seeds would germinate.....

Reilith

Sage
I am actively working on the first of what is planned to be a three part series, which was born from a role-play with a good friend of mine. The story is set in a fantasy world, currently with no name and in a kingdom currently named Therannia and it is happening some thousand years in the future from the original RP. It follows the story of a young man named Steffan(yel) who is summoned to study magery at the capital city of Zennit.
The first part is planned as a coming of age story, his dealing with magic that he never knew much about and new life thrust upon him, making friends (and foes), first loves, discovering he is fey and facing challenges with his power while the country is slowly sinking into chaos by unknown dark forces. It is set around the age 17-18.
Second part will continue his story a few years later, when he had come to his powers and a chunk of hard-earn peace is happening in the land, when another problem appears in the form of attacking nation of Naga across the sea, coming to enslave them. Steffan and his friend alongside find themselves in the middle of it by chance and they must fight to survive. It further deepens his understanding of self and his powers, shows struggles with feelings for his friend creeping in and general mumbo-jumbo of becoming an adult.
The third one visits him in his late twenties while a full blown mage war is occurring as his crew is sent to deal with an outbreak in one part of the country (still not sure what that's gonna be about).

Steffan becomes a hero-by-chance at some point, succeeding where others failed by a simple coincidence. It's a story about magic, friendship, love, growing up, learning how to live and protecting what is important.

I am always looking for anyone who is up for some scribbling exchanges, I do need another pair of eyes on this, not counting my closest friends and boyfriend, so feel free to contact me if you are interested. :)

Another project that is creeping up my spine is an old fantasy story in the world of Viel which is a WoW-esque world, following the story of Elves: Kia and her twin sister Lia, and the elven prince Maelphas and his closest friend and protector Zakaal. It is a quest story where they must find the way to cure their land from a plague sent from the Troll nation in order to destroy the Elves, which will lead them through all of the countries and nations of Viel - the Dwarven kingdomof Snorksgar, the Human realm - West World, the Gnome lands of Warih and even to the farthest west continent to the Troll nation's land Arhtirah and finally back to their own Elven kingdom of Elville to cure the land. It is the usual "chosen one" story where Kia and Zakaal will be the reincarnations of the elven gods of old who gave them power and life, this time brought back to save the world from ruin. It is not so strange this is the trope I decided upon since I started this story when I was in elementary school, so I will have to re-write it all one day, and finish it so it is readable. Also, this one is in Serbian, planned to one day (maybe) be published in my country.

C

Chessie

A lot of these stories do look great! Its fun seeing what other folks here write about and I enjoy the diversity. Oh, I guess I'll join in on this. :D

-Finishing up a polish on "Double-Edged Heart", an adventure/fantasy story about two brigands that get themselves deep in over their heads after a robbery/kidnapping they commit. Its a dark tale of twisted love, relationships, and bad choices. There's light at the end of the tunnel that hopefully shows the main character empowering herself to lead a better life. The world is Colonial times inspired with a mixture of Slavic and Alaska Native culture. The mountain valley the story takes place in is modeled after the valley I live in and know well from hiking all over.

-In the process of planning the sequel to the book above, title unknown at this time. In this story, the female lead helps to find a cure for a mysterious disease that has plagued the land. She goes on this adventure journey with the man held captive in the first book who she helped save. There's more focus on dark magic in this story and I like the plot, but still figuring out the antagonistic force. I better have it ready by April 1st so I can write it for Camp NaNo.

-There's a short story I wrote here for an Iron Pen challenge that I have expanded to novelette length. It has better structure, improved characters, and I have a clearer idea of the story I want to tell. I'm planning on writing that one in May. Wish I could write it simultaneously with another project but my mind can only focus on one story at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scalvi

Scribe
I just finished a short story about about a man confronting himself and his abilities; I just need proof- and beta-readers.

On the slate now are two more short stories. One is about an officer in a new, sci-fiey branch of law enforcement and the other is a character story about a bounty hunter/PI set in an alternate-history, fantasy Middle Ages.

Velka

Sage
Hooray for kindred spirits, procrastinating with the best of them! You're my new hero. What do you sew, paint, and garden? Me too

Most of my sewing was either for interior design (new pillow slipcovers, curtains, etc) or projects for my class (yes, 6 and seven year old can sew very well!). I'm beginning to venture into costuming and while I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing, I'm having fun doing it.

I usually paint watercolour, and have lately been enjoying exploring wet-on-wet techniques. It's very freeing, as it's very hard to paint anything representative. It's a nice break to focus more on colour and movement, with some impressionistic elements (which is so not my style).

Gardening, well, considering everything is still covered in a few feet of snow (I'm assuming this as I am currently looking at the ocean in Mexico on vacation!) I am just planning the madness that will consume my life over the summer. I have a ton of perennials to divide: my hostas are bent on world domination, my coneflowers are reinforcing their troops for a counter attack, and don't even get me started on the lilies. This fall I realized that I may also have a slight problem with hydrangea hoarding.

I have romantic notions of putting in a small vegetable garden, but with the abundance of racoons and rabbits in my area, the reality is I'd need to encase it in a steel cage in order to actually harvest something. Practical, but not very pretty.

X Equestris

Maester
Right now I'm working on fleshing out my world and characters, so I'm focusing on short stories and in-universe texts. All of that is set up for a standalone novel with series potential, whose general story I have outlined.

It will follow three members of the Order of the Watchers, a group created to protect the common folk from the dangers of magic, as they investigate the kidnapping of a mage child, who has rare gifts. Ultimately, the search will take them across the continent. It will also feature an internal conflict within my protagonist, Arlise Dun, as she struggles to battle some inner demons from her past.