• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Use of sketches from other books

It depends. What would you use them for?

I'm writing about gnomes and would like to use a few sketches showing how a gnomes home is laid out. The sketches are in a book called "GNOMES". I don't want to use them as they are but would like to copy them with a few alterations to suit my own layout. but I don't know the legal situation.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm writing about gnomes and would like to use a few sketches showing how a gnomes home is laid out. The sketches are in a book called "GNOMES". I don't want to use them as they are but would like to copy them with a few alterations to suit my own layout. but I don't know the legal situation.

Check the book to see if it provides information on who owned the copyright at the time of publication. Look for a copyright notice for the images. You will probably end up going through the publisher anyway, in order to contact them, but not always.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat

If you intend to publish them, you have to reach out to the publisher / illustrator and they are likely to charge you a fee. If you're going to recreate the images with changes anyways, then depending on how strong of a quality the images are and what you want to do with it and what you're willing to pay, you might have better luck finding an artist (maybe at DeviantArt) to find your own take on what a Gnome's home will look like.