• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano Camp April 2015

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome to a new nano year, scribes!

i'm anihow over there, so friend me. This thread is for people to meet nano friends and get into cabins with fellow scribes. Tell us a little about your project or just leave your username. I think we can request up to six friends in a cabin, so get your name in soon!

More coming soon! The clock is ticking. 20 days to next cabin assignment.

Yay! I've been watching the calendar and mentally prepping for outlines. Last November was my first time participating. Never done a Camp before ... I think my username should be the same as here.

I was planning on returning to Book 1 in my WIP series but I've made better progress than I expected so if I can finish it in time, I'll be rolling right into #2.

My project is a complex political piece with 6 MC's. A simplistic overview of my project is ...
There are 2 brothers, an ex-fiance, and a father/daughter duo. The brothers are poor but mostly content farmers in the (independent) East. The ex-fiance is Eastern as well (but wishes she was part of the Western culture.) The father & daughter are nobles in the West. The daughter's 1/2 Ancient (race) & has healing powers. Her father (though aware of his daughter) has volunteered to be at the forefront of an inquisition/genocide of the Ancient people. He's climbing social ladders and must fight to protect his secret. He is caught between his desire to rule the kingdom and the knowledge that killing the queen will unleash dark unholy magic (and probably result in the enslavement of the humanity). Fearful of persecution, the daughter flees Eastward and finds more trouble than she anticipated. She is captured & enslaved to Ex. The younger brother comes looking for her & finds the young noblewoman instead. He vows to get even with his Ex by freeing her favorite slave. The first volume (will) end with the daughter & one of the brothers fleeing together, the father in a higher political position (a coup eventually but still working on the timing & revising it). And the second should pick up immediately afterward and introduce new potential romance, the threat of war, an inquisition, etc.

I'd love to hear a bit about what everyone else will be working on.
:Smile:

Thanks for the reminder Caged! :)
I'm going to rewrite some older material, I've been fretting over, this go around.
In short it's an urban-epic fantasy.

To request I'm "Cicca"
GL to all. May your cabin rock, your story flow and the night lights burn brightly for everyone.
xoxo, ~C~

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
so the way we typically do cabin assignments is to sort of divide the scribes into groups. If we only get 6 participants, we'll all be in the same cabin. However, we have people all over the world. Last August I think we had a sort of Europe group and a sort of America group, for time zones, so people could talk to a cabin of folks on at the same waking hours at least.

Last April camp we separated into groups by genre because we had more than twelve people I think. As we get closer, we'll try to make sure everyone gets a cabin group of scribes that best fit their needs.

Tom

Istar
Hey, I'll participate this time. Maybe I can use this to finally end that novel I've been working on for years, as well as some other projects...My username is M Schiller.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Since there are other finishers here, I'd like to join in, too. I'm slogging through the Great Swampy Middle and could probably use some support and encouragement. April, eh? I knew about the June one; didn't know about this one.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
So, since I'm aiming not so much at finishing as getting a good ways toward finishing, I'm wondering how others handle tracking word count at this stage of the game, when the majority of the work consists of editing existing material, but a goodly percentage is still writing up missing scenes or throwing out a scene and rewriting from scratch. IOW, it's neither all new nor all editing.

Also, how do you go about planning for this month? Outlining? Goals? Task list?

When I logged in it asked me to "Create a cabin" so I did, looks like there are 6 or less of us, so do I send you all invites?
"Anihow" has not created a project yet according to the system....

Last edited:

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Am definitely up for this. Hoping to get my ass back into gear for writing again, lol. Taking the story from NaNo and ripping it apart, outlining and replanning, and going to put it back together. At least that is the goal.

I'm SM-Dreamer on there, too.

I really, really wanted to do Camp NaNo in April - it was on my year's schedule and everything! But owing to unexpected health issues, I am running WAY behind on my schedule. I think trying to scrape something together would be more a hindrance than a help at this point, but I'll be cheering enthusiastically for all you participants in April. I found it a great kickstart to my productivity in July last year.

Yay! I've been watching the calendar and mentally prepping for outlines. Last November was my first time participating. Never done a Camp before ... I think my username should be the same as here.

I was planning on returning to Book 1 in my WIP series but I've made better progress than I expected so if I can finish it in time, I'll be rolling right into #2.

My project is a complex political piece with 6 MC's. A simplistic overview of my project is ...
There are 2 brothers, an ex-fiance, and a father/daughter duo. The brothers are poor but mostly content farmers in the (independent) East. The ex-fiance is Eastern as well (but wishes she was part of the Western culture.) The father & daughter are nobles in the West. The daughter's 1/2 Ancient (race) & has healing powers. Her father (though aware of his daughter) has volunteered to be at the forefront of an inquisition/genocide of the Ancient people. He's climbing social ladders and must fight to protect his secret. He is caught between his desire to rule the kingdom and the knowledge that killing the queen will unleash dark unholy magic (and probably result in the enslavement of the humanity). Fearful of persecution, the daughter flees Eastward and finds more trouble than she anticipated. She is captured & enslaved to Ex. The younger brother comes looking for her & finds the young noblewoman instead. He vows to get even with his Ex by freeing her favorite slave. The first volume (will) end with the daughter & one of the brothers fleeing together, the father in a higher political position (a coup eventually but still working on the timing & revising it). And the second should pick up immediately afterward and introduce new potential romance, the threat of war, an inquisition, etc.

I'd love to hear a bit about what everyone else will be working on.
:Smile:

invite sent, I'm Cicca.

Am definitely up for this. Hoping to get my ass back into gear for writing again, lol. Taking the story from NaNo and ripping it apart, outlining and replanning, and going to put it back together. At least that is the goal.

I'm SM-Dreamer on there, too.
Invite sent, I'm Cicca.

Hey, I'll participate this time. Maybe I can use this to finally end that novel I've been working on for years, as well as some other projects...My username is M Schiller.
Please double check and post your user name, the system can't find you when I try to send an invite.

Tom

Istar
Hm. Maybe I need to make a new account. I lost my password anyway, so I can't log into the old one at the moment.

So unless more ppl decide to join us Caged, it looks like we have just enough people to fill the cabin up. Kellie from the FB group (think she is on here too) will be joining us as well. :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Okay, I figured it out. My project for April is going to be a long story? is that a thing? Well anyways, it's called Overwound. It's about a misfit crew on an airship and their interpersonal relationships. I've wanted to write this one for a while and with our recent discussions and Phil's challenge, I'm forging ahead with my POC cast and my meager understanding of clockwork. It's a steampunk fantasy and my Main characters are a POC captain who was dropped from the naval academy, a clock-maker's daughter looking for adventure, a young boy escaped from the um.. adult novelty trade? And their newest addition, a clockwork man. Let's see if I can make 50k words! I'm hoping to write the first scene as part of Phil's challenge.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Can you send me an invite Lotus? I created a book today, but I can't get into your cabin unless you invite me. Thanks! Do you know whether we have an all private cabin then? Or will they fill it with other folks? I guess we can invite as many people into a private cabin as we want?