• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A new weapon in the battle against procrastination

I just bought a little piece of software with a very simple functionality: you tell it to block your internet access for x hours, and it does. There's nothing you can do about it during those x hours. You can also make a schedule, but I haven't done that yet.

To me, the internet is one of the generals of procrastination, so this tool will help me focus by giving me less routes to waste my time.

The software's called Freedom: https://macfreedom.com/

It's 10 USD, so not too expensive. I'm thinking of scheduling in the time that I will designate as my writing time. That will make it more difficult to do the occasional search, but I can always make a note or something.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Ha, nice little tool, and for $10 - what's not to love? My writing laptop - a crumby old work dell - doesn't even have a wifi card in it, so it's a problem I understand but don't have. I wonder though, how easy it is for a savvy user to kill the process or cheat their way around it?

I think it's about just setting it and then living with the fact you can't turn it off until the time is up. All it takes is one tap of a button.