• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is up with this contradiction?

Members of Mythic Scribes are free to discuss any aspect of their writing as long as the discussion falls within parameters of the site guidelines.

One of those guidelines is to exhibit mutual respect for other members. That requires posting and discussion free from judgment, offense, or attack.

Please keep this in mind.

You can find the site guidelines here:
http://mythicscribes.com/forums/news-and-announcements/9-forum-guidelines.html

Wouldn't be the first forum to excommunicate me, and it won't be the last either.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
You're trying to write a story set in JRR Tolkien's world? How could you possibly do justice to anything Tolkien? To me, this borderlines on blasphemy. I can imagine you pulling that off well about as much as I can imagine Tolkien writing about "menstruation".

One thing I'm most certain about in writing is never say never. It can't be done until someone does it. Something I've learned hanging out on this site is there are a lot of talented an intelligent people here. With those two things and with a lot of determination, who knows what any of them are capable of given time.

Also just because you can't imagine something happening doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. I used to imagine Einstein always being serious, but then I saw this picture, and read about him being a womaniser.

einstein-with-tongue-out.jpg

It made me realize there are many aspects to a person I don't see and don't imagine because I have a limited view point and incomplete knowledge.

Mythopoet

Auror
You're trying to write a story set in JRR Tolkien's world? How could you possibly do justice to anything Tolkien? To me, this borderlines on blasphemy. I can imagine you pulling that off well about as much as I can imagine Tolkien writing about "menstruation".

Lots of people write Middle-earth fanfiction. Some of it is laughable. (Seriously, if you need a laugh, read that link. You can thank me later.) But some is pretty good too. No, it'll never be Tolkien, but it's still fun to read and write. I've written some Middle-earth fanfiction myself. It's not blasphemy. It's a tribute to how compelling Tolkien's work is that others feel motivated to be a part of his world.

But I do have to admit reading about menstruation in Middle-earth... That kinda turns me off. ;)

Mythopoet

Auror
Oh come on, there's the perfect opportunity!

"A red sun rises... Blood has been spilled this night."

"Sorry Legolas, that was me. I'll get that stain out of the blanket, I swear."

:D

Oh my god, the visual... I can never forgive you now. :p

Ireth

Myth Weaver
*cracks up laughing*

Seriously though... it's not like I'm going to go into extensive bloody detail every single time it happens. Or even the first time. A mention of the MC waking up with cramps, realizing what's to come and having to improvise a sort of pad (possibly moss wrapped up in cloth), and drinking willow-bark tea, and that'll be about it. From then on I'll just briefly mention it with a euphemism, like "moss-gathering" or "watering the moss", which the reader and the MC's peers will understand.

Last edited:
*cracks up laughing*

Seriously though... it's not like I'm going to go into extensive bloody detail every single time it happens. Or even the first time. A mention of the MC waking up with cramps, realizing what's to come and having to improvise a sort of pad (possibly moss wrapped up in cloth), and drinking willow-bark tea, and that'll be about it. From then on I'll just briefly mention it with a euphemism, like "moss-gathering" or "watering the moss", which the reader and the MC's peers will understand.

It actually doesn't sound that bad when you put it that way. I thought you were planning on going into great detail and making it a dominant story theme.

Lots of people write Middle-earth fanfiction. Some of it is laughable. (Seriously, if you need a laugh, read that link. You can thank me later.) But some is pretty good too. No, it'll never be Tolkien, but it's still fun to read and write. I've written some Middle-earth fanfiction myself. It's not blasphemy. It's a tribute to how compelling Tolkien's work is that others feel motivated to be a part of his world.

But I do have to admit reading about menstruation in Middle-earth... That kinda turns me off. ;)

Personally, I won't even touch Hobbits or Halflings in my stories. I consider them so throughly Tolkien that I don't think I can do them justice. I would not dare write about them.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It actually doesn't sound that bad when you put it that way. I thought you were planning on going into great detail and making it a dominant story theme.

Nope, there's no need to go into too much detail about it. It's definitely not the story of my MC's first period / blossoming into a woman or anything -- she's 25, so that time is well past. :D I'm just trying to avert the "No Periods, Period" trope.

Nope, there's no need to go into too much detail about it. It's definitely not the story of my MC's first period / blossoming into a woman or anything -- she's 25, so that time is well past. :D I'm just trying to avert the "No Periods, Period" trope.

Yeah, I apologize for what I posted toward you. I shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion like that. I just get queasy at the idea of excrement scenes like some folks were talking about.

Last edited:
Why am I never around when the trolls show up? I miss all the fun. Lol.

Wait until the Orcs show up, my friend. Things will get exciting then I promise you. Especially when you are a dwarf like me and they rile your blood.( I'm 5'3"! LOL!)

Last edited:
MALE AUTHOR: Menstruation? Ew! I can’t write about that!

This reminds me of a conversation I had in class the other day. So there's this ornery kid who's always saying random crap because he thinks it's funny. One day he says something about sticking a tampon up somebody's nose for fun. I think that's gross because why would you stick that up your nose? but anyway, so my teacher starts to say why that would be a bad idea and this guy in my class says, "Eww. Can we please just stop talking about tampons?" And my teacher was like, "Why are you afraid of them? They're just cotton on a string. Are you afraid of a cottonball?"
"No."
"What about the cotton in the top of a medicine bottle?"
"No."
"Well then why should you be afraid of a tampon? All they are is a piece of cotton on string."
"It's because they are used for....you know." then my teacher and all of the girls in my class are like glaring at him. (if looks could kill...) And my teacher is like "That's not all they're used for. They can be used for many things. If you're in a pinch they can be used for fires and you can use them for first aid to stop a nosebleed and lots of other things."
All guys in my class except for one: "Let's stop talking about this."
After that there was a lot of nonsensical ways to use them but It just irritates me how a lot of guys are grossed out by that. I mean yeah it's gross but it's life. GET OVER IT. We (females) aren't afraid or grossed out by male genitalia. (At least the ones I know aren't)
It also irritates me how almost every guy I have met at my school talks about their genitals and the female mammary glands a lot but they won't even mention the menstruation, unless of course a girl gets angry with them for some reason and then it's "Are you on your period?" That really irritates me. Sorry for ranting. I just needed to get that out. Also it kind of pertains to the first post on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom