• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Okay what can I should I Do with my blog?

I'm sure if this is the place to post the question but I but this is the best that i could think off.

I created a blog about and I have no clue what to do with the thing. I that some writers have blogs and my creative writing teacher said that having blog can help you build a "face or brand",but seeing as how I've made only one post in a year you can tell that I'm lost.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'm no expert but here's what I think of blogs.

Blogs are only useful if you have something to share and are willing to share it. Not everyone is comfortable or inclined to do this. There's noting wrong with that. And it's not necessary for an author to have one.

Blogs are hard work and require attention. It's writing that isn't fiction writing and takes away from the time you have for that. IMHO, you don't create a blog to sell yourself. The blog is a goal in itself. It is the product and must have substance. And if that leads people to other things you do, like fiction writing, great, but I don't think it should be an expected outcome.

If one thinks of a blog as advertisement, a commercial, selling yourself, well, how many people like to watch commercials? People may enjoy a clever commercial once in a while, but never will they desire a steady diet of it.

Bloggers blog. Writers write. Not all bloggers are writers, and not all writers are bloggers. Nor should either one feel that they should be.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I relaunched my blog a few weeks ago. The first few days I posted at least once a day about whatever I'd done, or thought of, that day. I posted about something I'd written and about how I went out jogging and about what music I listened to while I went jogging. I also wrote a few posts inspired by discussions here on the forums and I wrote about my character I'm developing for my next novel.

As time passed I wrote a bit less, but I still post more days than not.
My thinking is that for now, it's better to have some kind of content on the blog so that once I try to start promoting it, people will see that it has regular updates and that there's content on it. By posting regularly I'll also develop some kind of posting habit and my voice will find a voice of its own.
That's the theory at least. Whether it will work out or not, remains to be seen.

EDIT: For example. You could write a post musing about setting up a blog and the advice you received about it. It'd get you started. :)

Last edited:

FarmerBrown

Troubadour
I post about once a month on my website, or when something cool happens. I try not to stress about creating content, I just try to keep up some kind of presence. I then link to social media. If it's streasful, don't bother. Otherwise you can maintain it at a low level just to keep a presence and provide relevant content to your work without sacrificing too much time or energy. Good luck!

C

Chessie

I personally hate blogging. Tried it before and found that it took too much time away from my fiction writing. I also found blogging to be pretty boring. Did have a small group of followers though so that was cool. I blogged about my fantasy world, hiking, and life in Alaska. But after about 8 months of that I shut it down.

There is a blog page on my website but I haven't used it yet. If I do, it will be for posting short stories and whatnot. Blogging isn't necessary in order to sell books and it annoys me that it's one of the main suggestions given to writers: "Oh, you should blog." How about no? I rather write something fun. But again my experience with it wasn't positive.

Your face and brand can easily be created by the works you write. There are also other ways to get an internet face without blogging, so my suggestion to you is that since you haven't blogged more than once in a year...then maybe try another avenue.

TWErvin2

Auror
You would need to decide what the purpose of your blog is to be. Sharing interests, discussing your career, links to articles of interest and commentary, funny pics...who knows but you.

To build a blog following, you need to have regular content, interesting content. It's a time commitment, and maybe something not worth the time and creative effort...but maybe it is.

Yes, it can help build a brand/establish you, a place of connection with readers and those of similar interests. But just like having a website. Just having one doesn't mean anyone will ever visit. And when you do obtain readers, you have to provide something of interest to keep them coming back.

Mythopoet

Auror
If blogging isn't something you're into, you shouldn't do it. If you want to establish a platform, chose a social media method that you enjoy and can participate in enthusiastically. If there are no social media platforms you enjoy, you can just establish a static website that gives an relevant information about you as an author. The absolute most important thing is to have a place where information about your books is clearly given for anyone looking for them.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I agree with Mythpoet in regards to forcing a blog. If it's something you feel like you have to do, don't do it. I have a blog I update once a month these days when before I was posting maybe two or three times a month. It's a lot to keep up with really. And it can become discouraging when you notice you never get comments, shares or anything. I usually get between 4-10 comments per entry, which isn't much in the big scheme of things. But that tends to happen. It's like anything else on the internet, you have to find your audience through various methods. It's probably best to forgo using a blog and instead connect with people in different ways. I'm probably most active on Facebook, but that can be difficult sometimes. I've started using Reddit, and I like it so far. I'm tending to move away from too much social media time these days though just because it takes a lot of time away from writing. But I agree it's better to focus your time on social media. You can promote connect, and all that just as well as you would with a blog to be honest.

risu

Troubadour
I blog, but I just write about whatever I feel like writing about. And I'm not a great blogger either. It's a bit different when you have a niche. Since I don't have a niche, I've found that to get comments on my blog, I need to find other bloggers I like and comment on their blogs. I typically get a return visit and possibly a few shares. I've also made some good friends that way.

If it's a one-sided relationship, and you aren't offering up something that's of extreme use or interest (or you're not famous), then it'll be hard to get the momentum to keep going. At least that's my experience.