• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano Camp April 2015

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I'm in...a cabin of my own, since I spent too long before signing up.

Been slogging through the rewrite of 'Empire: Country.' That is nearing completion, though it'll need editing...eventually. Far more readable and coherent than what it was.

But I told myself months ago I'd spend 'Camp NaNoWriMo' working on the successor, 'Empire: Capitol.' Sort of an intrigue / assassination type novella. I hope to finish a reasonably clean draft by May.

Anyhow, anybody else here wants to sign up, I've got a big empty cabin.

I'm in...a cabin of my own, since I spent too long before signing up.

Been slogging through the rewrite of 'Empire: Country.' That is nearing completion, though it'll need editing...eventually. Far more readable and coherent than what it was.

But I told myself months ago I'd spend 'Camp NaNoWriMo' working on the successor, 'Empire: Capitol.' Sort of an intrigue / assassination type novella. I hope to finish a reasonably clean draft by May.

Anyhow, anybody else here wants to sign up, I've got a big empty cabin.

Thinker if anyone drops out we will add u in :)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Sorry, I wrote a response to you yesterday, ThinkerX, but it appears I didn't actually post it. That was rude of me. My day sometimes turns hectic and I leave my computer open and then children confiscate it to play video games and I forget what I was doing.

Sorry you didn't get in to our cabin in time, but if anyone else wants to join, please invite them/ We can use this thread also to post updates and if you want to join our facebook page, some of the people are more active on facebook.

Nimue

Auror
Oh my god, this is tomorrow!!

...Uh, I may need to finish writing my diversity challenge entry first. Hokay, this month went fast.

Tom

Istar
I know. Mine is still partway finished, and I'm stalling over characterization issues. Yikes!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Oh my god, this is tomorrow!!

...Uh, I may need to finish writing my diversity challenge entry first. Hokay, this month went fast.

I know. Mine is still partway finished, and I'm stalling over characterization issues. Yikes!

Don't go feeling left out, you two. I am still doing the rewrite for 'Empire: Country' - which will take me into the weekend. I wanted that wrapped up before Camp NaNoWriMo, but ran into some plot bugs that forced me to stop and think about a couple things.

As to my camp project, 'Empire: Capitol,' I realized just a couple days ago that my mental outline had a couple really big holes in it - despite thinking about this tale on and off for over a year. So, I've been puzzling that out along with working on 'Empire: Country.' Plus, I have been doing a rewrite of my 'Jobe' story.

Bright side is I can apply the word count for part of the one tale to my NaNoWriMo total.

CONTEST!!!!!!
Announcing a cabin wide contest, ThinkerX you can enter too if you like, you are one of us after all! :)
Rule # 1- Entries must be submitted via the FB groups pg. https://www.facebook.com/groups/646977998734654/ (<-- the link)
More detailed rules coming soon. :)
Also seeking someone to help judge the entries. PM if interested in judging with us. Let's boost those Word counts!
Prize is a physical copy of "Shawdowfires" by Dean Koontz.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Finally finished the rewrite of 'Empire: Country,' though it still needs an edit for grammar pass I'll do once my main NaNoWriMo is over. 35,000 words, of which I can claim about 6500 for NaNoWriMo.

Tomorrow: time to get started on 'Empire: Capitol,' at last...and if there's another Camp in July, then I'll see about 'Empire: Estate.'

Hmmm...maybe I should do a rudimentary outline...

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
outlining is for wimps.

ok, no seriously do your outline. Every time I try to outline, it goes something like this:

Scene 1: Introduce main character’s failed assassination attempt and her befriending secondary character.
a. A conversation about Savio Marco's death​
1. Show emotion because it's important the reader knows he was murdered (at least in the lawyer's mind)​
b. Mention the cathedral's basic shape and look, but slip it in naturally, not too technical.​
1. Add in some interesting details about the divine statues out front. Maybe she can hang onto one?​
c. Encounter a Divine and Yvette takes it as a godly message, so she goes to pursue the lawyer​

a pretty good start. But then it turns to this...in less time than you'd think:

Scene 36: Yvette and Thorne sneak out of town to meet with Zanchi.
a. Black arrow.
b. Twelve guards.​
c. Talk in the woods.​
1. “I was hoping when you invited me for a walk in the woods, you really meant just that.”
2. “Thorne, I didn’t realize you fostered such feelings for me. I’m flattered.”
3. “I just didn’t realize we were going to be risking our necks.”
4. “I take it back, then. I’m not flattered.”​

yeah, I'm a little jealous. :) Best wishes!!!!!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Considering that I see many a post here about people deviating from their outlines, and taking into account most of the wordage in the rough drafts gets altered or deleted, the one seems about as good as the other.

Detailed outline more or less equal to a rough draft.

I ended up cutting almost half of the original 'Labyrinth' and rewriting 90% of what I did keep. Same deal with 'Empire: Country,' got rid of a couple chapters and deleted large sections of the others. I might be improving, though. The four chapters I finished of 'Labyrinth: Seed' back in Novembers NaNoWriMo still look pretty dang good, and I'll probably be able to keep most of it. Pity my other project got in the way there, or it'd be about 14 chapters.

What prompted me to wonder about an outline here was a couple of giant unrealized plot holes in the middle of this story. There were four or five chapters I had pretty solidly worked out, but the connecting pieces were missing, hence a 'map' (outline). But I have been puzzling my way through the section since that realization and have it mostly worked out.