• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need a word

Mindfire

Istar
What word/name would you use for a person who is an avowed enemy of all evil magic? Don't have time to give a detailed explanation of context right now (I'm at work) but I will later if asked.

Trick

Auror
Conmalorist? Virtumancer? Exormagus? Benignus? Disnecrium? I'm just rambling now...

Last edited:

Trick

Auror
Lots of great creative names here, but this one is probably closest to the spirit of what I'm looking for. Although Exorcist is sounding somewhat compelling just now. Hmm.

Inquisitor is somewhat widely used but, if it fits best, it's generic enough to feel right in many instances.

Just be careful using Exorcist because it is a real title for Catholic Priests (all can exorcise but some are specifically designated as Exorcists). Changing it a bit would give you more freedom without the potential to offend.

Exorceror? Exorseer?

Mindfire

Istar
Like a paladin?
I'm not sure why I didn't consider that before. It's a good fit. It's even a French word, and the character is French (Creole technically). Except that the title paladin is usually associated with specialized warriors and this character is a mage. And paladins are generally incorruptible pure pureness whereas this character is someone seeking to atone for past wrongs. But I think it could work.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I really like the idea of using "paladin" as meaning something other than a D&D-type one. I think bending away from common association is good for a story.

Witch Hunter. (Or witchbane, witch slayer, etc.)

Another might be Purifier. Or Burner (some might say torch, scorch, etc) if you want to build on the idea that burning a wizard's books, base, etc (and the wizard himself?) is the best way to be sure there's no trace of the danger left.

But really, Paladin sounds much more like what they'd call themselves; not just named after their enemy but after their higher standards. And Caged is right, taking a known word in the genre and putting a new spin on it is an opportunity in itself.