• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Must Read List

Ok, now say you were on a poor college kid's budget, but really like to actually own a book in your collection (none of this kindle nonsense or books borrowed from a library). Which books are the number one must reads? How do you all rank these books?

For example, the Wheel of Time series in quite an expense, especially if there are better books out there.

I just picked up A Wizard of Earthsea. It was surprisingly hard to find, and you'll be saddened to know they categorize it as "Age 9-12" now to move more copies. Sigh. I am still excited to read it, and then some of the others on this list! :)

rayne

Dreamer
The last Herald Mage-Series is also one of my favorites. I would definitely add that to my list. I did think that the Arabat series was rather boring and hard to follow. Anyone else feel this way?

Angharad

Troubadour
My daughter loved Abarat when she was a teenager, but I haven't been able to finish it although I tried twice. I'm not sure why, it's very clever and imaginative, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

Gutendaug

Acolyte
Very helpful list. I am just getting into fantasy, and I love writing. You can't write what you don't read's my motto, and this will start me on reading some great books.

Merc

Dreamer
@Joe... Directly after reading the list, I immediately thought of the first law series. Can't get enough of Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold is pretty amazing too.

Kit

Maester
+1 on the Anne Bishop Dark Jewels books. Truly a unique spin- not just another fantasy series.

Along with Song Of Ice and Fire, two of my three all-time favorites.

The third being: the Fifth Millenium series (Meier, Wehrstein, and Stirling). Start with Shadow's Daughter by Meier (I already pimped this book in the "well-written deaths" thread.) Meier and Wehrstein are currently doing weblit serials set in the Fifth Millenium. The former took a minor character from the dead-tree series and ran with it; the latter is rewriting her main character's storyline into a much-expanded version.

Masronyx

Minstrel
Here is the list of books that were mentioned but did not make the “Must Read” list:

“First Law” series by Joe Abercrombie
“The Chronicles of Prydain” by Lloyd Alexander
"The Books of Abarat" series by Clive Barker
“Tithe” by Holly Black
“Death Is A Lonely Business” by Bradbury
“The Dresden Files” by Jim Butcher
“Divine” series, “Partholon” series by PC Cast
“The Heir” trilogy, “The Seven Realms” series by Cinda Williams Chima
“Little Big” by John Crowley
“Lord Foul's Bane” by Donaldson
“Shanara” series by Sara Douglas
“Belgariad” and ”Malloreon” or “Elenium” and “Tamuli” by David Edding
“Malazan Book of the Fallen” series by Steve Erikson
“Villains by Necessity” by Eve Forward
“Neverwhere”, "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman
"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
“Waylander” and “Legend” by David Gemmell
“The Dwarves” series by Markus Heitz
“Mythago Wood” by Holdstock
“Watergivers” series by Glenda Larke
“Gentlemen Bastard” series by Scott Lynch
“Ombria in Shadow” by Patricia McKillip
“A Song of Ice and Fire” series by George R.R. Martin
“The Abhorsen Chronicles” by Garth Nix
“Feed” by Mira Grant
"Temeraire" series by Naomi Novik
"The Fionavar Tapestry" trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay
“Discworld”, “Equal Rites” series by Terry Pratchett
“The Unsuspecting Mage” series by Brian S. Pratt
“Power & Majesty” by Tansy Rayner Roberts
“The Anvil of Ice” by Michael Scott Rohan
"Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling
“The Last Wish” by Andrzej Sapkowski
“Talion: Revenant” by Michael Stackpole
"Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series by Tad Williams
“Daughter of the Empire” series Janny Wurts
“Chronicles Amber” series by Zelazny

These authors were mentioned without any particular work being specified:

Scott R.R. Bakker
Jennifer Fallon
Terry Goodkind
Robin Hobb
Robert E. Howard
Fritz Lieber
H.P. Lovecraft

Garth Nix, Guy Gavriel Kay, ANYTHING by Patricia McKillip, Some good choices. I have read the Abhorsen series, the Fionavar Tapestry was awesome, I loved it, and I have always been a fan of McKillip's writing style and novels. You've also listed a bunch for me to look out for. But I'd also like to add Robert E. Howard and C. L. Moore (Jirel of Joiry and Northwest of Earth). The Sword and Sorcery era of the early to mid 20th century has some of the best stuff.

Thanks for the lists of these, some i have read and am fond of, others i can now purchase and get into them. I have always been a fan of fantasy and and reading some of the books that have been mentioned makes for better writing in this genre.

Thanks again. :)

Janga

Minstrel
The King Raven trilogy by Stephen Lawhead is a great spin on the Robin Hood story! Check out the first book in the series "Hood". I enjoyed it immensely.

Sami

Acolyte
Trudi Canavan is currently my favour author and has been for a number of years.
I must suggest that 'The black magician trilogy' by her is most definitely a must-read series.

xerolee

Scribe
My favourite authors would be Robert jordan, trudi canavan, brandon Sanderson ( mistborn trilogy), George martin

I love to read novels and with what you posted I read some of it. I saw some different novels there and I will try to read it maybe next week. Thank you for posting those books and keep us updated.