• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Talking to nagas

Jabrosky

Banned
So I'm thinking about dropping nagas into a certain South Asia-like region of my world.

In this setting, nagas (Ophiophagus dibrachium) are large-bodied elapid snakes that share their closest evolutionary kinship with the king cobra (O. hannah), but they have evolved not only human-like intelligence but also resurgent arms. When slithering from place to place, these forelimbs (which resemble those of monitor lizards but with two fingers and one opposable thumb each) retracted within "pouches" in their thoraxes. Though the nagas are the aboriginal inhabitants of their home subcontinent, many of their patriarchal clans have formed symbiotic relations with humans migrating in from the southwest, who've come to regard them as representatives of the Brahman Naga (i.e. a supreme rain deity with the form of a giant rainbow-colored snake).

But how would humans communicate with these nagas? I want to keep the nagas' anatomy more on the snake-like side aside from the intelligence and secondarily evolved forelimbs, and I've read that snakes hear not through ears like ours but from vibrations through their skull. Thereby they wouldn't communicate with humans through vocal means but with something that would send potent vibrations. At the moment I'm going with special wooden trumpets called "Snake Singers" (Naga Gayaka), which produce a low humming buzz (you've heard the sound before under a different name, but I like to have people guess in their own words), but I haven't tested the effectiveness on that on the snakes around my neighborhood.

Also, how do you think nagas like mine would convince early humans they're godlike? The nagas in my world are equivalent in intelligence to humans, but before the humans came along in their part of the world to build cities and temples for them, they were more or less nomadic hunter-gatherers without the gathering. I'm leaning towards the nagas intimidating humans with their venomous bite, or maybe having helped the earliest human colonists get around the subcontinent.

On a final postscript, my nagas have always cannibalized each other in inter-clan squabbles, and that tradition has rubbed onto their human acolytes in the form of religious/military rituals. :eek:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
You are leaning a bit overmuch towards the snake side of things. From what I recollect, Naga were supposed to have human heads.

As to making the Naga impressive...make them sorcerers. Consider the sort of lifestyle they were living prior to human arrival, and the sort of magic's that would have aided that lifestyle. Then, give them a dread secret, possibly divine in origin they are charged with protecting (or maybe secrets, plural).

So, instead of weird snakes, your humans find really weird snakes capable of supernatural feats and possessed of substantial supernatural lore.

How do the Naga communicate with each other? Looking at it from that point of view to me is necessary before discussing how humans communicate with them.

Maube the Naga use some form of telepathy to communicate with each other and they can use the same thelepathy to communicate with people. They can use these mind powers to mind control the human population or plant hypnotic suggestions that convince the people that nagas are divine creatures.

Why not writing - or signs in the dirt/sand - perfect for a snake-like creature to craft - especially one with arms.

Valentinator

Minstrel
Many snakes have infrared vision. How about communicating via fire (torches, lamps, pyromancy)? Ability to see in complete darkness can be perceived as a god-like ability.

A ordinary sign language could also be an option.