• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Cliches

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that I love series. I often specifically look for books that start a series because I want to get immersed in the world and I I want to really get to know the characters.

i'm gonna have to second this one, too. i LOVE long series!

I love long series.... done well. I don't think I've ever more disappointed then when I get to book 3 of a long series and realize I am no longer enjoying the characters I fell in love with in book 1. Doesn't happy often, but when it does.... woof.

While it wouldn't drive me away, I'm not a huge fan of the way that the mentor figure will know everything about the history of the protagonist's home, a history of which said protagonist is entirely ignorant, and relates it at length to the person who grew up a few minutes walk from the location of the events described (Eye of the World is the example I have in mind). I think it's an anachronism- people knew a lot more about their local history than they do now, simply because travel was less frequent and so interest dwelt on things close to home.

My favorite in-plot cliche (by no means limited to fantasy) is the villain who is about to kill/incapacitate our hero(es) but first must give a monologue about his/her diabolical plot to take over the world. When the hero escapes, he will now know every detail of the villain's plan and so will be able to counter it (bah, foiled again).

Terry Pratchett absolutely skewered this cliche in Night Watch.

Actually, a great site you should all be aware of is tvtropes.org You'd be surprised at how many "fantasy" cliches are found there.

The cliche I hate the most is the badass warrior who keeps getting beat up or captured or whatever (Terry Goodkind).

Ravana

Istar
Terry Pratchett absolutely skewered this cliche in Night Watch.

Haven't read that one, but I would hope he did the obvious thing: have the villain feed the hero a load of complete crap. Then the hero spends the next hundred pages chasing red herrings.

Oh, wait: villains would never lie about something, would they? :eek: :rolleyes:

Neurosis

Minstrel
A group of varied adventurers, usually a wizard, fighter and rouge, go on some quest to save the land, or find some legendary item. Or both. ~90% of fantasy.

Haven't read that one, but I would hope he did the obvious thing: have the villain feed the hero a load of complete crap. Then the hero spends the next hundred pages chasing red herrings.

Oh, wait: villains would never lie about something, would they? :eek: :rolleyes:

No, much cooler. Like, "don't try this at home" cooler. But, I would hate to spoil it.

Ravana

Istar
Naah, that's just a perception—no doubt largely a consequence of the ones involving groups of Carmelite nuns going on a quest to chastise minions of the Dark Lord for their bad language tending to be brief and not particularly memorable. ;)

[That was in response to Neurosis's post, btw.]

Neurosis

Minstrel
Naah, that's just a perception–no doubt largely a consequence of the ones involving groups of Carmelite nuns going on a quest to chastise minions of the Dark Lord for their bad language tending to be brief and not particularly memorable. ;)

If stories like that actually exist, I will definitely read them. Or at least read the wikipedia synopsis. I do love stories that bust genre tropes -- however usually its a little more subtle than that :p.

Anyone noticed how when the cliche dark lords are finally killed, it tends to lead to the cliche result of the sudden disappearence of all of his vast, loyal armies? :p

Naah, that's just a perception—no doubt largely a consequence of the ones involving groups of Carmelite nuns going on a quest to chastise minions of the Dark Lord for their bad language tending to be brief and not particularly memorable. ;)

! I actually really like my current story/world I'm working on, but I'm really tempted to write something along those lines now. Must...resist...non-existant...creative...attention span!

Ravana

Istar
Anyone noticed how when the cliche dark lords are finally killed, it tends to lead to the cliche result of the sudden disappearence of all of his vast, loyal armies? :p

They all become Carmelites and live quietly ever after. Didn't you know? (Though a few go on to become the heroes of later stories.… :p )

Come to think of it, I'm beginning to want to write a story along those lines, too. I sense a challenge coming on.… ;)

Last edited by a moderator: