• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Limits on Villain motivation

Are we pretty limited on the main motivations for why a villain chooses their path? Revenge, world domination, just wants to make people suffer, zealot wanting to create a utopia that is really a nightmare, in the service of an evil power with aforementioned motivations, etc.

If you've managed to come up with an original or less common motivation for a villain to choose that path then please share it.

Russ

Istar
There are absolutely no limits on villain motivation. I am surprised you think that there are.

Russ

Istar
Just think of all the normal human motivations and you have your list...love, greed, pride, fear, patriotism, xenophobia...the list is literally endless.

Just think of all the normal human motivations and you have your list...love, greed, pride, fear, patriotism, xenophobia...the list is literally endless.

I understand all that, but what it eventually manifests itself into is what I mean by being limited. They experience that and what do they choose to do about it?

X Equestris

Maester
Villains can have the same sort of motivations as heroes. In fact, I think having more...down to earth motivations makes the villain more complex.

The main villain of the novel I'm planning is motivated by a sense of patriotism. His country is caught in a two front war that it is slowly losing. So he decides to kidnap a mage child who has unique powers and intends to use him to summon and bind an army of demons, in the hope that this army will be able to defeat his nation's enemies. There's no intent for conquest, just defending his country.

fantastic

Minstrel
There are many things.

A villain can want to be loved by certain person, villain wants to be important person, villain wants to achieve anything but to do so requires doing something hero does not approve of, villain feels some people should not live, villain feels humanity should be slaves to some other species, villain burns city to get inspiration for writing a poem (Maybe you heard of this one?), villain is element of nature that always existed and is an obstacle from heroes point of view, villain does not do anything but heroes are not satisfied until he is defeated,...

Anything someone does can make him be considered a villain by someone. It depends.

Russ

Istar
I understand all that, but what it eventually manifests itself into is what I mean by being limited. They experience that and what do they choose to do about it?

That is not what you asked at all. You asked about motivations.

But the answer as to how something manifests itself is equally as broad. A villain can work on anything from destroying the universe to stealing a goat.

Last edited:
Sooo many options. What the villain wants can be anything; in many ways all that really matters is that it's something he cares enough about to cross the line for. I did a blog post trying to organize a few of them, combining the Sith boast with the Seven Deadly Sins: How Many Sides to the Dark Side

But since then I've come up with one starting point about my villains, what I call the "Thunderbolt Ross" lesson (just compare the Gen. Ross that's shown in the last two Hulk movies): a villain's either trying to stop the hero (or anyone else, that the hero defends) out of some kind of fear of what they'll cause, or it's what the villain's plan needs from the hero/others or would affect them that the hero has to stop.

X Equestris

Maester

You seem to be talking more about goals and the villain's methods of achieving his or her goals.

Tom

Istar
I have a villain who wants to create a better world for outcasts, as he was one himself.

Another takes members of magically augmented races who were once human and returns them to normal, because he feels they've lost touch with their humanity, and will live happier lives in their original form.

That is not what you asked at all. You asked about motivations.

But the answer as to how something manifests itself is equally as broad. A villain can work on anything from destroying the universe to stealing a goat.

My bad, I should have worded it more clearly.

I have a villain who wants to create a better world for outcasts, as he was one himself.

Another takes members of magically augmented races who were once human and returns them to normal, because he feels they've lost touch with their humanity, and will live happier lives in their original form.

And what makes your character a villain then?

Tom

Istar
And what makes your character a villain then?

The first achieves his goals by using magic to kill off people he perceives as oppressors. He also leads a rebellion against his country, and destabilizes its government, which leaves it vulnerable to attack from its enemies.

The second practices rogue magic that was outlawed after the augmented races were created. (It was deemed unethical and dangerous). Additionally, he doesn't ask the consent of those he works it on, instead assuming they'll be happier later even though they may object to it now.

I noticed you're missing a pretty common one: wanting to make the pain stop. For instance, I read a story once where the villain experiences the suffering of everything in the entire multiverse, and wants to destroy everything in order to end it. (He makes his point by showing the heroes visions of realities where evil ran unchecked and mass pain and suffering resulted.)

WooHooMan

Auror
I'm a little confused as to what this thread is about. Are you saying that the actions a character can do that is considered "villainous" is too limiting? Like there's not enough variety in "villainous" behavior?

Or are you saying that there is a preset list of possible motives that a villain can have? If that's what you're saying, then I disagree.

Spider

Sage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a villain is someone whose "evil" actions or motives oppose our hero. Is "villain" synonymous with "antagonist"? Because a character whose actions could be perceived as relatable or heroic yet still serve to hinder the protagonist could be an antagonist yet not a villain (or at least that's what I've gathered).

Of course, that isn't to say that every villain would be our 100% evil dark lord, but I figured that a villain is someone who causes trouble or harm, or who has bad intentions. In terms of "villainous" motivations, I guess I could see how that could be limiting. But as for an antagonist's motivations, the possibilities are endless.