• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ideas for Fantasy Beings and Creatures

K.S. Crooks

Maester

cjweyrauch

Acolyte
There is an old RPG called Changeling the Dreaming it had a massive library of mythical and made up creatures. Almost anything you can think of. RPGs are actually great cause they usually have a monster manual.

Also Lost Girl is an awesome show that I get a lot of inspiration from as well. Obviously you have to put your own spin on it but these things are all inspiring none the less.

I think mythology is my favorite inspiration. I like to bring classic beasts alive in new/different ways

Gabcy

Dreamer
Check out these two website for ideas about beings and creatures you can use. I like that the show artist images of the creatures and provide a brief description of their cultural origin. It is nice to mix and features of different creatures to come up with your own unique mix to fit your story.

Mythical Archive
Mythical Creatures, read about and see your favorite mystic creature.

Hope this sparks a few ideas.

Whoa, thanks for this!

Definitely needed something like this as a bookmark for future reference.

Blodwedd

Acolyte
A thing that I do to get ideas for creatures (and other things)
is downloading wallpapers tagged as "Epic" or "fantasy".

Anyway thanks for the websites they are really cool I may use some in my writing.

Joy

Acolyte
A thing that I do to get ideas for creatures (and other things)
is downloading wallpapers tagged as "Epic" or "fantasy".

That's my main way. I feel bad for doing it and going on an "easy mode" but by browsing somebody else's art the spark gets on and triggers a chain reaction. The ideas start flowing through my head for places, stories, characters, creatures. I get inspired and based on an element on the artwork i continue on developing it in my own way so that it fits my story.
But i also feel like stealing. I am using someone else's creativity as a base. Man.

MineOwnKing

Maester
Mongolian Death Worm,

Great Scott, I knew there was something off with that bottle of tequila.

I should have stuck to cerveza.

ALB2012

Maester
Earthdawn, DnD Monster manual, Roman/Greek/Asian/Norse mythology. For that matter check any culture's mythology they are all crammed full of beasties.

MapHatter

Dreamer
The Mythical Archive is an absolutely fantastic resource that I intend to exploit relentlessly for the foreseeable, and unforeseeable future! Thank you very kindly!