• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from the Sunshine State...

MapHatter

Dreamer
...a.k.a Scotland.

Hi folks,

I've been looking for/striving to find a decent, warm community for fiction and fantasy writers/worldbuilders and was quite happy to stumble upon this site. Looking at the forums, it seems there are a whole bunch of places that might be useful to a budding author, as well as a lot of options for feedback and constructive criticism. All things that I am hoping to find.

I'm currently working on a fantasy novel that would, I suppose, blend Downton Abbey with Penny Dreadful and American Horror Story: Freak Show. It's a genre I've never really dabbled in previously, so I'd love to find a good community where I can bounce ideas around, voice my concerns and deal with them without letting them settle on my shoulders and start nibbling at my self-doubt.

I look forward to meeting you all. :)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met MapHatter
Scot-Land I've heard of this mystic land... [and it was very sunny the last time I was there...]
Share what you know and learn what you need.
Dabbling is definitely encouraged, as is Diving in, Taking a Leap and Closing your eyes and picking a card, any card...
Pull up a seat, don't look your server in the eye [who hired the Basilisk anyway?] and enjoy the floor show... the Djinn Plate spinners are on next...
You don't want to miss them... it... those?
It's a great show either way...

Hello!

I participate with several writing communities but Mythic Scribes is by far my favorite. I don't think you'll be disappointed as this is an excellent community there always seems to be something here for everyone. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions. Writing can be an intensely intellectual affair and the more perspectives we hear, the better we become.

I often find the writers that are humble enough to have self doubt are frequently the best. It's the ones that brag about being the next (insert writing master here) that have more reason to be. Like any art form, writing requires the writer to be honest and vulnerable which can be a very scary thing. Since most writers are INFP's so we can be torn between our desire to create something deep and true and beautiful and our keen awareness of the reality that the rest of the world is harsh. Fear of rejection and the judgement of others (or even ourselves) is no trivial matter but rest assured, you're not alone in that! This is a wonderful community and I think you'll find it useful as well as warm and inviting.

Welcome!
-Stephanie

Magicat

Scribe
Hallo, MapHatter, we're in the same time-zone.

I joined about a week ago, and have had such fun already. The people here are warm, welcoming and many show a grand sense of humour. I can empathise with all you've said - keep in touch if you'd like.

I fossicked around the various forums, made a few posts and learnt a few things. There's a fun thread going on in Chit-Chat called "This or That" which is giving me an interesting idea of what lots of other members are into . . .

MapHatter

Dreamer
Helloo everybody, thanks for the warmth. :) And Joe... thanks for whatever all that was. :D I'll be in and out of the forum as I often get distracted doing other things, and very rarely is writing one of those things!. Alas, I shall see you good people around the website, I imagine. Magicat, I'll be glad to keep in touch. Any Brit is a good Brit, if you ask me. Except the shady types.

Magicat

Scribe
From someone North of the Border, after the election "any Brit is a good Brit" is a compliment MapHatter.

This forum can be distracting, but I'm sure you (and I, if it comes to that, I've still lots to learn) will get the hang of it. I've concluded that like any new thing, it takes some investment of time to find my way around and suss out the most interesting/useful forums (not necessarily the same thing!)

I'm off-line for a bit, will reconnect with you soon.