• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Software

I use a combination of OpenOffice and vim.

*hi-fives you*

That's exactly what I do; OO for the writing, vim for turning its HTML exports into something useful for converting into mobi format (using html2mobi). Although once Amazon finally makes KF8 available, that'll change (and hopefully make substantially easier) this kind of thing. OO's HTML output is still pretty bad, though not as bad as what Microsoft manages to do.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
*hi-fives you*

That's exactly what I do; OO for the writing, vim for turning its HTML exports into something useful for converting into mobi format (using html2mobi). Although once Amazon finally makes KF8 available, that'll change (and hopefully make substantially easier) this kind of thing. OO's HTML output is still pretty bad, though not as bad as what Microsoft manages to do.

I've had luck saving as HTML in Libre Office, or as a filtered HTML page in MSWord, then using find and replace in Notepad++ or Geany to strip out the recurring HTML tags are unwanted. I've never tried vim.

Steerpike said:
I've had luck saving as HTML in Libre Office, or as a filtered HTML page in MSWord, then using find and replace in Notepad++ or Geany to strip out the recurring HTML tags are unwanted. I've never tried vim.

Vim is a blast. So many things built in to it. At least it isn't emac; the only feature emacs lacks is a decent word processor, does just about anything else. :)

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Steerpike

Felis amatus
What advantages would vim have over something like Geany or Jedit. I use both of those in Linux, and usually Notepad++ if I end up in Windows.

zizban

Troubadour
How do you use vim as a word processor? I use emacs and like you said, no word processing modes.

Neurosis

Minstrel
vim is pretty much a console based word processing tool that came with GNU/Unix. Its power lies in the fact its infinitely extensible and customarily. It has a bit of a learning curve though, I learnt due to using it religiously throughout years of programming competitions.

Otherlands

Acolyte
Back in the good old days of typewriters and correction fluid and carbon paper, I hammered out a couple of novels, I have no idea how I achieved this epic across four drafts! BUT I did find my organising abilities worked well with paper and index cards. With computers I find I cannot get myself organised with Word and suchlike. So I am going through a number of writing software looking for something I can work long term with. I have played with Y-writer but not too keen on it. I have Liquid Story Binder but it seems so overly complex - but is starting to show results. Now taking a look at Scrivener which has a terrific tutorial and might well be what I need.
I wish LSB had an in-depth tutorial like this, as I think it could be such a powerful tool

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Has anyone else tried Yarny? And what do you think of the Cloud in general for purposes of your writing (e.g. Google Docs, Zoho Docs, and the like).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
never tried it but willing to try it out

I've done a little bit with the Beta. Seems kind of cool, and I like having my work available on all computers (though I get the same general effect with Dropbox). I've been saving local copies from Yarny so I don't have to be connected. I'll have a better idea of it after a couple of months of use.

Otherlands

Acolyte
I have looked at Yarny and it looks very basic - which to me equates with ease of use and not a headache of a learning curve. But I am not getting into it as I purchased LSB and apart from looking at Scrivener free trial, will stick with LSB. I don't think I will ever master all the bells and whistles - but hey - It works well as a planner and organiser!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like LSB as well. I use linux most of the time, however, and I find it is quirky running it from WINE. Yarny appeals to me because it works whether I am on a Windows machine or Linux one. Though to be honest, I use a simple text editor most of the time. I'm looking at moving to Yarny, or maybe working some more with LSB if I can get it working better on Linux, for novel-length projects.

I will look up yarny today, see what I think.

I have probably said this before, but I have installed yWriter to my Dropbox, and I store the yWriter files there as well. I can run it on whatever machine I have available, except my phone. There I use a basic text editor for writing but various reading programs to proofread my yWriter stuff. Though seriously, how hard can it be to make a rtf editor for Android!

Ravana

Istar
One of the things I noticed, in my limited time spent looking into epublishing, is that markets seem to prefer texts submitted in .doc form—and specifically not .docx, which is what current versions of Word use. (Second choice seems to go to .rtf; some don't even want that.) I imagine just about any program will save as .doc these days, but it still might be something to keep in mind, if your interest leans this direction.

Ravana said:
One of the things I noticed, in my limited time spent looking into epublishing, is that markets seem to prefer texts submitted in .doc form—and specifically not .docx, which is what current versions of Word use. (Second choice seems to go to .rtf; some don't even want that.) I imagine just about any program will save as .doc these days, but it still might be something to keep in mind, if your interest leans this direction.

I have decided to take one of my short stories, serialize it and sell it through Smashwords, they have very specific .doc requirements, not even rtf.

The Din

Troubadour
Just wondering if anyone knows the solution to lost indentations in ywriter? When I try to print my work, the indentations disappear from my paragraphs...? Any insight would be appreciated.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I like Scrivener. To be honest, I started using Word but I have so many documents that I needed a new program that keeps them all on one screen. Scrivener fit the bill. I didn't try anything else. I'm opposed to services like Yarny. Perhaps because of paranoia, but I don't trust programs that I don't have direct control over.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I've pretty much used everything that's been brought up in this thread, and have settled in on using Scrivener. Other programs I use are Wikipad/Voodoo pad to keep my story ideas. I also use Super note card for notecarding my stories. I use sonar for keeping track of submissions.