• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Saigonnus

Auror
Seems like I get a headache from computer time a lot faster while on break than when classes are on. I distinctly remember coding all day and having 0 problems, but after a few hours of light Internet / writing I can feel it coming. Unfair! I'm trying to write and all even. Looks like I'll need to get comfortable with handwriting again ...

Perhaps you should turn down the brightness of the monitor or device and get some anti-reflex glasses. They reflect much of the artificial light. I need some myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe check your sight too.. I used to get headache with brightness to a minimum. The optician told me that it was because my right eye was doing all the work while my left was lazy. I dont need glasses for daily use and I havent had headaches since I got a pair of glasses computer-only to compensate my eyes workload.

Aspasia

Sage
Yup, I've had glasses since I was a child! I should look into that anti-glare coating--they offered it to me last time I got my lenses changed, but it was so expensive I decided I could live without.

Well, I've got new paper notebooks and pens so I'll try writing by hand to reduce some of that computer time--will be challenging, but probably good for me! I'm powerless against the lure of pretty new stationary.

So, last week I was sitting in my chair just watching my son crawl around and explore the apartment. Well, he discovered our book shelf recently, and as is his wont, he pulled out a bunch of books. My kid has seen me read every day since he was born. Well, after telling him no for the fiftieth time about trying to eat my books he push-crawled a copy of The Alloy of Law over to me, used my leg for support (his way of asking for me to pick him up), and then leaned to grab the book that was on the floor. I bend over to pick it up and he opens it to a random page (which just so happened to be page 1). He stares at the page for awhile and turns it to another random page, stares at that one, turns it, and repeats to process a couple of more times. Have to say I think he was "reading" that book. And that made me happy.

Trick

Auror
So, last week I was sitting in my chair just watching my son crawl around and explore the apartment. Well, he discovered our book shelf recently, and as is his wont, he pulled out a bunch of books. My kid has seen me read every day since he was born. Well, after telling him no for the fiftieth time about trying to eat my books he push-crawled a copy of The Alloy of Law over to me, used my leg for support (his way of asking for me to pick him up), and then leaned to grab the book that was on the floor. I bend over to pick it up and he opens it to a random page (which just so happened to be page 1). He stares at the page for awhile and turns it to another random page, stares at that one, turns it, and repeats to process a couple of more times. Have to say I think he was "reading" that book. And that made me happy.

My oldest is that way. I've always been a nerd (proudly) and never much into sports and the like. I was worried that my kids would get some of my siblings' and wife's family's love for sports and the outdoors and skip over my love of reading and writing. I would have been okay with it, but a little sad. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. My oldest began pretending to read while he was crawling. Now that he's nearly four he has his alphabet down, never tires of having stories read to him and is already sounding out words and on the road to reading. He also loves to make up surprisingly complex little stories. Couldn't be more proud. My younger boy's first word was 'ball' so you can imagine he's a bit more sports oriented, which I am happy about too but I won't deny that, because my older son and I are always reading, my younger son has also developed a love for being read to and will "read" books on his own and that makes me happier still. I won't miss any of his games once he's old enough to play but I'll be more proud to see his good grades that result from a love of reading.

Tom

Istar
Well, this is the last week of fencing until fall! Instead of our normal class routine this week, we're throwing a pizza party for the kids in the beginner class. I really hope to see all my students once we start up again. Unfortunately, even though my coach really wants me to go, I'm too busy this summer to compete in Summer Nationals. And even if I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to even begin to pay the entrance fees and replace all my old equipment!

So now that fencing is over, I'm replacing it with this new daily exercise regimen to stay in shape:

50 squats
25 push-ups
Running 1/2 a mile

Hopefully I can hit the pool once or twice a week as well, and swim some laps.

I don't want to do this. :(

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Go for it, Tom. That sounds like something I should do, though for me, I'd flip the push-up/squat numbers. I was doing 100 push-ups and 50 squats (starting at 40/20 and also planks, gut crunches and sit-ups, and increasing the numbers at regular intervals for a year), but I stopped and… yeah, stopping was bad.

My wife and I started again today. Not all that, but walking before breakfast. I also took a 10-mile bike ride early afternoon. I live on top of a hill, so I needed gears 1-4 to 1-1 during the last mile. The other hills are nothing. I suppose my destination was odd. I rode around an old graveyard. Lots of hills, no cars. It wasn't the intended destination, but it was the point that I realized that when I turn around, I'm half done, and that's the easy half.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

I'm setting those numbers as my goal for the first few weeks or so, then I'll see if I can up them. I'm also going to add crunches, planks, and other calisthenics as time goes on, and increase the running distance too if I can. I'm a little dubious about the running. I'm not really built for endurance, more for fast spurts of energy, so I'm going to have to pace myself strictly to keep from burning out at the start. I'd like to run a 5K sometime in August, before school starts up again, so I'm building myself up for that.

Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

I'm setting those numbers as my goal for the first few weeks or so, then I'll see if I can up them. I'm also going to add crunches, planks, and other calisthenics as time goes on, and increase the running distance too if I can. I'm a little dubious about the running. I'm not really built for endurance, more for fast spurts of energy, so I'm going to have to pace myself strictly to keep from burning out at the start. I'd like to run a 5K sometime in August, before school starts up again, so I'm building myself up for that.
In short you're "wasted on cross-country, [but] very dangerous over the short distances."

Tom

Istar
For some reason, I started imagining how Southerner would play out if my MC were a centaur instead of human. Why? Absolutely no idea. But it has proven kind of interesting, thinking about how he'd face the same obstacles differently if he had four legs instead of two. It's also been kind of fun to reimagine his horse-reliant, semi-nomadic culture as centaurs. Would they still kill horses for their meat and hide, or would that be taboo? Would they still use tents, or sleep out in the open?

Sometimes I have no idea what goes on in my own mind.

X Equestris

Maester
All of these Confederate flag debates in the past week have been...interesting. And saddening. The Internet never fails to disappoint.

All of these Confederate flag debates in the past week have been...interesting. And saddening. The Internet never fails to disappoint.

Oh my gosh I know. I keep seeing people post that it's not the confederate flag it was just a battle flag, so any criticism calling it the confederate flag is invalid. DUMB.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Scribes,

Though I understand there is no intention here to offend, this is not an appropriate site for this discussion.

I'll point you toward the Mythic Scribes guidelines on political discussion. This includes all forums on this site:

Contemporary political discussion inevitably leads to mistrust and division. Asking questions about politics as it directly relates to writing is fine, as is discussing historical political developments for the purpose of research. But all contemporary politics, including hot-button issues, are unwelcome distractions that must be avoided.

Reaver

Staff
I second my trusted cohort's words here. I'd also like to add that you're welcome to discuss political views via private chat and PM with the caveat that any hostile and or threatening behavior toward other members is a big no-no.

Abandon all hope ye who incur The Reaver's wrath.

I second my trusted cohort's words here. I'd also like to add that you're welcome to discuss political views via private chat and PM with the caveat that any hostile and or threatening behavior toward other members is a big no-no.

Abandon all hope ye who incur The Reaver's wrath.

I don't know if I should be too scared about your wrath. After all, I just read a book that said aim for the sweet triangle and brand myself with certain runes and then I can run hundreds of miles an hour. So, it can't be that scary. :p

On a different note I just watched the Black Cauldron recently, and by rights it should be one of my favorite Disney shows, but it's just so much like every other fantasy story out there that I've read and watched that I could predict what would happen in each act. So, someone needs to sell a book to Disney to make a sweet fantasy movie out of it and rock my socks off to fix this egregious error.

X Equestris

Maester
I found this video of jungle animals reacting to their reflections in a mirror. It was pretty interesting to see the different reactions. Pretty sure only the chimpanzees and possibly the elephant realized they were looking at their own reflections.

[video=youtube_share;GaMylwohL14]http://youtu.be/GaMylwohL14[/video]

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm very impressed with my daughters' piano teacher. She's been hospitalized for some time, and yesterday, my wife received a call from her husband informing us that "Mrs. D" made the difficult decision to have her leg amputated. Yet, she's been in such high spirits that other patients have been coming to her for strength.

"Mrs. D" is inspirational, not only as a piano teacher—as a person!

A random shower thought that just came to me, 'Knee-deep in Wonderland' and 'The girl in the ruby Slippers' sound like titles for crime novels and I'm actually disappointed that there isn't something published with those titles. Oh well, never going to use them so people can do what ever they want with them.