• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Inspiring Music.

tecdavid

Acolyte
One of my greatest inspirations for writing is good music. Whatever the genre, many pieces help me form vibrant images in my head, helping me decide what I'd like a place to look like, how I'd like a scene to feel, or perhaps how a character could act.
Does music help anyone else this way? What pieces do you find most inspirational?

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Well personally, I have a playlist dubbed "Epic Music" on my iPhone/iPod for when I'm writing.

I'd recommend:

Almost anything from Two Steps from Hell, but what songs I have:
Invincible
Heart of Courage
To Glory
Black Blade
Master of Shadows
Moving Mountains

Position Music:
Hold the Line...Fire at will
Trinity

Rain at Last - Spartacus: Blood and Sand

There is a God in You - Clash of the Titans

Nocturne - Songs from a Secret Garden

Just a few, but check them out.

Erica

Minstrel
I have a real mishmash of music on my computer and ipod. Since I'm a child of the 70's and 80's, most of it is rock and new wave type music that comes from that time period, but I have a some more recent stuff and older stuff as well. I also like classical. Anyone who saw the mix of songs on my play list would probably think I am crazy, but yes, it can get me in the mood for writing.

Mozart's Requiem mass is great for sad scenes.

Nevermore

Acolyte
I suppose it completely depends on the scene. I mainly enjoy using Watercolor, by Pendulum. Aside from liking the song, it gives me quite a bit of inspiration, especially for more dramatic scenes.

The soundtracks to Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean (all three), Lord of the Rings (all three), and World of Warcraft (mostly Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm) have kept me going in the months I've been working on my novel. All very epic (with some quiet pieces).

Telcontar

Staff
I don't always have music playing while I'm actively writing, but it certainly helps me brainstorm. I recently conceived of a wonderful scene to the tune of Metallica's "- Human" (pronounced "Minus Human"). I also vividly remember coming up with several scenes in first book while I was listening to Tool.

"The Battle" from the Narnia soundtrack is on my epic music list...along with Mozart's requiem, chopin waltzes, Etude #12 in C Minor by Chopin (great for coming up with those tense moment type scenes...

Music is certainly an inspiration for me...:)

I also tend to just start drawing...whatever ends up on the page is usually something that will give me an idea or finish an idea...

Thalaea

I have a mix of all kinds of music from soft rock, to heavy metal, to pop and rnb. Here are some i listen to and have helped me with scenes from my novel.

Hello - Evanescence.

Missing - Evanescence.

Almost - Enya/ Enigma.

Sadness - Enya/ Enigma.

The Celts - Enya.

Mother Earth - Within Temptation.

This is Gonna Hurt - Sixx A.M.

What I've Done - Linkin Park.

Dreaming of You - Kate Bush.

Army of Me - Bjork,

Violently Happy - Bjork.

A good mix. Check them out.

Reaver

Staff
I highly recommend anything that Zakk Wylde has done. He's an amazing musician. 'Nuff said.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I highly recommend anything that Zakk Wylde has done. He's an amazing musician. 'Nuff said.

I do like some Black Label Society.

I have to agree with the recommendation of Bjork, above.

I like a lot of classical, and I'm a big fan of Pavarotti. I also like blues, and some great jazz artists and singers like Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald.

On the heavier end of the spectrum, I'm a bit fan of Opeth, Bilocate, At the Gates, Theatre of Tragedy, Candlemass, Amon Amarth, and similar acts.

Ravana

Istar
Oh, just the usual: "O Fortuna," Steeleye Span or Shriekback. :D

Seriously… well, actually, that was "seriously." More generally, I find music inspiring, period, so it would be hard to list all the things that have ever inspired me in some way. I don't try to match music with mood, or what I'm working on: I find it more useful to avoid doing so, because if the music's too "close" to what I'm doing, it tends to interfere with it rather than assist it. If the music's just background, I can use it to blot out extraneous noises… while on the other hand, every so often, something in the music will click with what I'm doing and create a synchronicity that wouldn't otherwise have crossed my mind.

-

[Shriekback: winner, "Best Use of the Word 'Parthenogenesis' in a Song Lyric," 1985. :cool: ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Larkin

Scribe
Ha, I once used 'My Spine is the Bassline' for a character, Ravana. Shriekback definitely works for sinister, brooding, lush, and ornamental. And I'll see your Steeleye Span and raise you one Big Country. I still think 'Look Away' has the makings of a great Regency-inspired fantasy story inspired by its lyrics.

Ness

Dreamer
Lots of good suggestions here! I find it amazing how inspired I can feel after listening to music, especially when it's something epic, spiritual and earthy. I find female-fronted gothic symphonic metal the most inspiring.

Neurosis

Minstrel
Solely in terms of writing, I find there are few things I can write too. However that sparse list is -- while not exactly inspiration -- extremely thought provoking, and mood bending.

I am aware MANY people would completely disagree with me, and/or call me insane but heres my list of good music to write too:
Meshuggah.
Neurosis.
Isis
Earth.
King Crimson.
Orchestral music.

Erica

Minstrel
Oh, just the usual: "O Fortuna," Steeleye Span or Shriekback. :D

[Shriekback: winner, "Best Use of the Word 'Parthenogenesis' in a Song Lyric," 1985. :cool: ]

I agree with you there. I remember that one from my college days. Need to add it to my song list.

Ravana

Istar
Hee hee. That's what I've always loved about them: the combination of intelligence and… uhm, "tongue-in-cheekness"? (They'd probably say something like "buccolinguality.") Plus they're just plain fun.

"Our time has come / Age of the Hammerheads
This is our mission / To be the daleks of God…" :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Joanna

Scribe
Like others above I have a very varied "favs" playlist - from pop, instrumental, through rock, to cheese songs and stuff from the 80's (my boyfriend often want to kill me for the last one... ;) ). I like setting that on random and when writing it can affect how a scene comes out depending on what happens to be playing.

One of my latest additions:

Into Dust - Mazzy Star

I love collecting individual songs from various adverts.

Xanados

Maester
Xray-Dog, Two Steps from Hell and Immediate Music have this thread covered. I also listen the LoTR soundtrack, too. May it Be is the most powerful song I've ever heard.
Any Death/Power Metal, too.

Jess A

Archmage
Mostly Celtic music or epic soundtrack music, orchestral stuff (mainly soundtrack), or esoteric music. Anything that really touches my soul and inspires me. Music which builds worlds in my mind and breathes life into scenes (or creates scenes in my head) gives me a lot of muse.

On saying that, a bit of metal, old-school rock and the odd random song can help with certain scenes. It depends what I am writing, and sometimes, I just flow with the music which builds in my head :)