• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite tabletop rpg?

CharlieDay

Scribe
I have played countless role playing games over the years and I was just wondering what everyone else's favorite rpg game is.

As for my favorite, it is the 2nd edition warhammer fantasy roleplay. I just absolutely love the random selection of over 100 starting careers that you could start your characters out as. I also love the idea of insanity points and random hit locations during combat (which also means you could lose a limb, eye, etc) unlike d&d. It is an overall extremely simple game and has a darker/more mature aspect that I cannot get enough of.

So what are your thoughts on this game, or your favorite rpg?

Dreamhand

Troubadour
I was always impressed by the depth and "texture" of the Warhammer games. I never got into them but the art and presentation of it all was just stunning.

For me, the "best" table-top RPG was the Amber dice-less system. To be honest, it wasn't the system so much as the dice-less aspect of the game. If someone had a better fighting skill than you, then they won... unless you could role-play something to even the odds. And that was the key to it all... we role-played intensely. Without a lot of dice and rules to get in the way, the characters and stories that evolved were rich, detailed, and truly epic.

Granted, you had to game with good role-players whom you trusted, but if you had that... oh baby, you were rockin'!

SLTE

Dreamer
I've only played Rifts, DnD 3.5 and Pathfinder, with a one-session dip into a Transformers RPG, and I have to go with Pathfinder. I don't RP as much as I'd probably like, though, so I've no doubt that there are better systems out there - I get real tired of being smoked by high-level monsters in one hit after a while.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'll go along with Warhammer FRP, second edition.

For d20-related games, I like Castles & Crusades, because it is about as simple and elegant as you can make that system.

I also like Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

Leuco

Troubadour
Anyone else remember HeroQuest? I used to like that game. I heard that there's a free online version available, but I haven't tried it.

I know it may not be related, but another board game I used to like was the Uncanny X-Men Alert Adventure Game. It was a lot like an RPG. One of these days I'm going to learn how to make a PC version of the game.

One of these days...

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
I'm still one of those guys who holds onto the OGL systems if I can. The universal plug and play with tweaks and adjustments made for an interesting set up and system. Of course, I love me some Pathfinder too.

Never got into the diceless stuff, I glance at it for the fluff but the crunch never appealed to me.

I'm reading this thinking, "Rocket propelled grenade? On a table? Wait... OH!" Ah, the slower ones in life. :) Perhaps I have read too many military books...

glanmartin62

I used to like was the Uncanny X-Men Alert Adventure Game.
it wasn't the system so much as the dice-less aspect of the game.

Joanna

Scribe
My favourite used to be World of Darkness, for it's focus on storytelling. But recently I've been playing a home-brew play-whatever-you-want system that my sister and her friends have been developing for over 7 years. What I like most about it is that you can come up with the most outrageous characters both in terms of race and behaviour or motives, and as long as you can make it believable everything is allowed. It's also at a stage that there is enough of the world and the world's history established that you have something to hook into, but plenty of blanks spots on the map to fill with your own races and ideas.

My novel is actually set in that world :) as it was inspired by my current game character - it's going to be her story up to the point we're playing now.

Last edited:

Arkius

Dreamer
I have only played DnD (not counting mtg) and I only played with a price of paper a pen and a dm with a d20. It's pretty simple if you do it that wat

A

Alex Croyle

Any game my brother Dms is generally amazing. I've played with a lot of different Dms, but it doesn't matter if its star wars, or D&D. We play loose though and add a lot of custom content. The game setting pales in comparison to the importance of a good dm. If they are flexible and have a quick wit your going to have a great time

WIIIITH that being said, D&D can get very tedious in the higher levels, combat bogs down as your rolling 7 attack rolls and then 6 dice per attack.

Warhammer 40K. Hands down; no contest. My first army were Tyranids (always lost to my friend who played Tau lol) but then moved onto Space Marines. I made my own Chapter called the Ferrugothian Knights and were a successor chapter from the Iron Hands Legion. I was about to move onto playing as Iron Warriors but then decided that it was just too expensive.

So now I just read the novels and look at all the amazing artwork. I'm rereading Fulgrim right now, amazing story.

Hans

Sage
In my experience it is much more important who you play with and who is the game master than what rule system is used.
Lately I have played some D&D but are not very proud of it. I feel to limited there. Again that might be for a big part due to the game master.

I sometimes try to outline my story characters using the GURPS system. With very limited success. At the latest when it comes to the magic system everything brakes down. (For good reason. I don't need game balancing in my stories.) Most characters do not even come to that before becoming unrecognizable.

Justme

Banned
It really depends on my mood. I've played just about every game I've came across, but the one I can easily say was the most intricate was a game called Aftermath. it was a post holocaust game That you had control over the age of the character. You had points, based on your age. The older you were, the more points you had to buy skills, which were extremely extravagant. The younger you were, the better chance you had to have a mutation, which were as diverse as the skills.

Aftermath! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you had the ordinary post holocaust fare of different types of armor and weaponry, but the damage and penetration factors were explicit to the round fired, the jacket and wither it was a magnum shell or not. The rest of the game was fairly detailed as well, but the ammo configurations were phenomenal.

There was also a game called The Marrow Project, that was fairly good itself

The Morrow Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia