• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Most Recommended Series with Merlin?

I'm quite a fan of Merlin. I have at least three series with me that are all about him. One is "The Merlin Conspiracy" the next is "The Lost Years of Merlin," the third is the "Young Merlin" series.

Has anyone read these and which is the most highly recommended? Also is there another series with Merlin as a main character well worth reading also? I remember reading excellent points to Mary Stewart's series, and Stephen Lawhead's series also at least.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, Merlin isn't the main character, but I always loved the portrayal of him in Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles starting with The Winter King.

Uffda

Scribe
Not sure if I am breaking the rules here by suggesting my own book, but I recently put together an anthology of stories called King of Ages that re-imagine King Arthur at various point in time and history with Merlin guiding him all the way through, going backwards in time. If you want, I am willing to show some love to a fellow Mythic Scriber and will send you a mobi file for free. Just shoot me your email address in a PM.

Incanus

Auror
If you don't mind 'old-fashioned' there is T. H. White's The Once and Future King. It's more about Arthur, but the Merlin depiction is really cool.