• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing in Public

It has become a cliche to see writers typing away on their laptops at a Starbucks, working on their novels. I went into a cafe the other day (which is actually part coffeehouse part used bookstore) and while sitting in a very cozy leather chair sipping on my irish creme latte i thought to myself this seems like a nice place to write a story.

Do you ever write in public places like cafes or maybe at a park? I like to get out of the house every now and then and even though it is a cliche thing, i think i would actually enjoy working on my stories in a cafe. Not because, oh it's what other writers do, but i just like the atmosphere while listening to smooth jazz and sipping on hot coffee. It's very cozy.

Russ

Istar
When I can make time I write in public all the time.

Last winter my wife and I spent two weeks at a resort in the Bahamas and we were both working away on our laptops on the beach or by the pool. We have planned a similar writing retreat this year. It was kind of odd writing winter scenes though...

The occasional distraction did walk by but I managed to overcome them.

Incanus

Auror
Same here. I've tried. Doesn't work for me.

Writing, for this writer, is an intensely private affair until I've completed many revisions.

Me too. Even at home I'm all too easily distracted. Writing in public=distractions times ten. Can't imagine it.

Brainstoming is another matter, though. That happens almost anywhere, though I take walks by a nearby river for that purpose from time to time.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I write in public all the time, but never at a cafe. I write at the library, at McDonalds, and at the mall food court. I try not to write too much at home. Home is for relaxing. When I go out to write, it feels like I'm going somewhere with a purpose, and I don't return until it's taken care of.

It also helps when there's food there too. My favorite routine is to go to a place, have breakfast, and sip tea while writing. The writing gets done relatively fast, and I can return home satisfied. Mission accomplished... at least until the next day.

I don't write in public often, but when I do, I feel that the sensory intake of things going on around me (as long as it's not particularly annoying) helps me write notes and helps me brainstorm ideas. I don't think it would work very well for writing anything but notes though.

Snikt5

Scribe
I'm not a lover of coffee but one of my favourite things to do is to go to Starbucks first thing in the morning and write for an hour whilst sipping coffee. There is something about the ambience that I love. Other favourite venues are country pubs and golf club houses.

I like somewhere that is semi lively but I don't know anyone.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Pubs and cafes for me. I'm very much the cliche, sitting at a little table in a corner with my laptop and tapping away at a story and with a pint (guinness), or coffee (black, no sugar) close at hand.
I have an easy enough time shutting people out, and I'm also spending less time on distractions such as facebook or music or other things while I'm out.

Incanus

Auror
So, I have a question for the 'in-public' writers: do people ever come up to you and ask what you're doing? If so, how often?

Just curious.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
So, I have a question for the 'in-public' writers: do people ever come up to you and ask what you're doing? If so, how often?

Just curious.

Hasn't happened. At one of the cafes I go to the waitress asked, but that was at the checkout when I was about to leave.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

Just curious.

Nope. Why would anybody care? They've got their own life to live.

I mean it's the same as if you were reading a blog or surfing the net. Nobody cares if you're reading knitting 101 or checking out the latest episode of my little pony.

Incanus

Auror
Nope. Why would anybody care? They've got their own life to live.

I mean it's the same as if you were reading a blog or surfing the net. Nobody cares if you're reading knitting 101 or checking out the latest episode of my little pony.

Yeah, that's about what I figured.

Thanks folks.

SugoiMe

Closed Account
Before I moved back to Canada, I used to bring my stuff to McDonald's every Sunday. Got a lot of stares, but that was because I was foreign and stood out like a sore thumb. The worst was when they interrupted me just to ask where I'm from. After the thousandth time, it gets pretty old.

You know what's also cool about the coffee shop thing? Meeting up with fellow writers if you can. I had a friend whom I would meet up with and we would talk about our WIPs. I don't have that opportunity now, but it sure is great. And what better way to meet up than at a coffee shop? Even a family restaurant.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Luckily, I live in Japan, so not only does no one give a shit what I'm doing, they would never ask me. Mostly because of the language barrier but also because Japanese tend to mind their business. It's interesting that you said the opposite, SugoiMe. I've never had anyone approach me. I guess I try to look as unfriendly as possible. :)

I don't take a laptop out in public myself, but I do write in notebooks. I usually do some of it with coffee, but I often find a park bench to sit on as well and do that. I've found it to increase productivity greatly. I know some may find it annoying because they have to then transcribe what they wrote, but I actually like it because it helps me edit when I transfer it over.

I used to think writing in public was kind of a "Look what I'm doing" thing, but now I see it as more of a way to get out of the comfort of home, enjoy some drinks, and get a different kind of ambiance.

SugoiMe

Closed Account
Luckily, I live in Japan, so not only does no one give a shit what I'm doing, they would never ask me. Mostly because of the language barrier but also because Japanese tend to mind their business. It's interesting that you said the opposite, SugoiMe. I've never had anyone approach me. I guess I try to look as unfriendly as possible. :)

I don't take a laptop out in public myself, but I do write in notebooks. I usually do some of it with coffee, but I often find a park bench to sit on as well and do that. I've found it to increase productivity greatly. I know some may find it annoying because they have to then transcribe what they wrote, but I actually like it because it helps me edit when I transfer it over.

I used to think writing in public was kind of a "Look what I'm doing" thing, but now I see it as more of a way to get out of the comfort of home, enjoy some drinks, and get a different kind of ambiance.
It could be because you're a guy and because of our different locations. Kagoshima prefecture isn't nearly as populated as many other prefectures, and there aren't many foreigners. What's Kawasaki like? Also should point out that the stereotype of creepy old Japanese men was actually true where I lived. Sooooo not fun.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Ah, yes, that makes sense. When I lived in Fukushima, I got a lot more stares than I do now living in the Greater Tokyo Area. Kawasaki is pretty densely populated and has its fair share of foreigners, so I guess it's something they get used to. Sorry to hear you were made uncomfortable. Most of the stares I get are from older people. Younger people don't seem to care.

Aly

Dreamer
I use my tablet to write on the daily commute to and from work. You sometimes do feel a bit self-conscious but it works out. Worst thing is that the tablet likes to ‘correct’ my spelling too much and I end up with all sorts of unintended words! It does make me take the slower train (to get a seat) but it’s time well spent.