• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trees

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I write historical fantasy. I'm fine with the historical side, but unexpected challenges arise from time to time. One of them is trees.

I want to be believable with my settings. I don't worry about accuracy because I'm too well aware of that chimera. All I aim at is verisimilitude. If the setting is the lower Danube, I know enough not to put fir trees there. But if it's the hills of Macedonia, are there chestnut trees? Sycamore? Cedar?

I can get photographs aplenty, but that doesn't help me with Name That Tree, except on a lucky chance.

I can get reference works about European trees, but they rarely speak in specific geographic terms (when they speak English at all).

So I was wondering, does anyone have a reference, print or electronic, along these lines? Once I get a tree name, I can do the research for alternate names, so I can toss in an exotic grace note here and there. It's really just making sure I don't put a willow tree on a mountain top that I'm after.

BTW, for anyone else writing anywhere in this neighborhood, similar challenges arise with flowers and other plant life, and with animals as well.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The variations over time is why I'm not aiming at accuracy. It's pretty much hopeless except for a handful of well-known changes in terrain (e.g., the devastation wrought by Hannibal). The two sources you pointed me to were very helpful and have gone into my reference library. That key phrase "mixed forest" was a winner.

Trick

Auror
Is this helpful? You'll probably have to google the scientific names (at least, I know I'd have to :) )

tree_species_map_and_legend.png

Cambra

Minstrel
I was researching something similar the other day and was surprised at how widely extended the Mediterranean type ecosystem was...

Swordfry

Troubadour
I worried a little about the types of trees when I was worldbuilding. But then I just said "Screw it, it's a freaking fantasy world."

So now just one continent of my world features palm trees on a peninsula, and only a few hundred miles in a mixed forest of mostly deciduous trees, but also some coniferous ones. After that, I just use whatever I want to. Tropical plants in this region? No problem. I'll just say that my fictional planet is different and that almost any plant can grow anywhere. Cheap, easy way out, but not worth stressing out over in my opinion.