• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Glossaries

Incanus

Auror
Just wondering–have glossaries have gone out of fashion?

I ask because I’m reading friend’s novel, and it’s pretty complex. There is a large number of characters, and a handful of invented terms as well as a handful of place names.

If this was a published novel with a glossary, I would definitely be referring to it as I read.

Are glossaries even used outside of epic fantasy?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
The edition of War and Peace that I have has a glossary and character listing. It's epic but I wouldn't call it fantasy. :p

Nimue

Auror
I've seen glossaries in a lot of pretty mainstream fantasy books, really! ASoIaF (I think), Tamora Pierce's books, Dragonriders of Pern books, the Chalion books, etc.

I think the ideal, though, would to be to write so that the reader doesn't need a glossary, though they might find one useful for clarification, extra information, or moments of absent-mindedness. If you're repeatedly feeling like you need definitions or reminders while reading, though, that's a red flag to me that the story needs more context clues and clarity. Particularly if you usually cope with fantasy-novel-vocabulary without issue.

Incanus

Auror
I'm a fan, but I never liked the arrangement of the ASoIaF glossaries. The thing I most wanted to learn from them was which House a particular character belonged to, but to look up a character in these glossaries, you have to know which House they belong to in the first place. Not helpful.

It seems like a good way for keeping the in-story exposition on the lean side in general though.

Nimue

Auror
I'd agree that it's a good place to put things about the setting or characters that are superfluous to the plot at hand, rather then cluttering up the text.

But at the same time, I don't think the reader should have to consult a glossary to understand the ins and outs of the plot or not be perpetually confused. With those books series I mentioned, I never went searching for glossaries while reading, I just discovered them as a bonus at the end of the book, and I think that you should be able to get through without them, absolutely.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
My intent for my own book is to have my glossary -- it's more than that, really -- at my web site. Links at the back of the book. I can make the web site searchable, which I believe will make it more useful than a fixed-format glossary.

I do think that, especially for fantasy that has a world behind it (one volume or multiple), having some sort of background should be standard. A glossary, a wiki, a blog ... all that world-building stuff that lies behind. It's a bonus for the fans. It's our Silmarillion.

Incanus

Auror
Thanks Skip. I chose the word glossary rather than appendix specifically. I've seen glossaries that are only a few pages long and include little more than an alphabetical listing of characters and other unfamiliar terms. In the case of the book I'm reading, this would be all it needed, in my opinion.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Well... a glossary is for listing and defining terms, like for if a book had unique words within it's world. That's not a character list. A character list (or dramatis personae) is where the characters get listed, usually by their association, such as house or nationality, depending on the scope of the story. The glossary tends to be in the back of the book; the dramatis personae usually in the front.

Appendices can be both, plus other assorted information, at the back of the book that collects extra information not necessarily found within the story, but that's nice to know.

As for usefulness, I always love having them. Sometimes I take breaks while reading, like when I get busy or distracted, and there have been times when I don't exactly recall who a person was or what a definition meant. Or I might not remember from one book to another, because it's been awhile since I read one. I also like this extra information because it just adds to the depth for me, being able to access and look through it all.

I thought about doing a glossary because there's a lot of places and people in my book that while they will get mentioned, the plot doesn't really require much detail into it. So i was thinking of maybe doing footnotes. I can't make the shortened and raised numbers on my phone so i will put it in parentheses. So it might look like this...

"We must take the old road east and then head north, past the ruins of Ankath(1)."

(Bottom of page here)
1Ankath: A ruined fortress once ruled by King Cyrus. Destroyed in the late second era by the Sarei Empire.

I feel like these little foot notes would be a good way to quickly give explanation and definition to things that i don't wish to divulge on during the plot. Perhaps i mention the conquering Sarei or the once mighty king Cyrus earlier in the story, just kind of sprinkling extra tidbits of lore into my world. What are your thoughts to doing this over a glossary?

As for usefulness, I always love having them. Sometimes I take breaks while reading, like when I get busy or distracted, and there have been times when I don't exactly recall who a person was or what a definition meant. Or I might not remember from one book to another, because it's been awhile since I read one. I also like this extra information because it just adds to the depth for me, being able to access and look through it all.

This pretty much describes me as well.

Incanus

Auror
I feel like these little foot notes would be a good way to quickly give explanation and definition to things that i don't wish to divulge on during the plot. Perhaps i mention the conquering Sarei or the once mighty king Cyrus earlier in the story, just kind of sprinkling extra tidbits of lore into my world. What are your thoughts to doing this over a glossary?

Hmm. I think I prefer the glossary (or character list, or whatever it is called). The footnote thing somehow seems like a cheap way to include exposition without having to weave it in to the story with prose. And it sort of 'intrudes' on the page--you almost have to read it.

With the glossary, it's more about being there when it's needed, and out-of-sight, out-of-mind when it's not.

(Is that a 7-string guitar neck in your avatar?)

Hmm. I think I prefer the glossary (or character list, or whatever it is called). The footnote thing somehow seems like a cheap way to include exposition without having to weave it in to the story with prose. And it sort of 'intrudes' on the page--you almost have to read it.

With the glossary, it's more about being there when it's needed, and out-of-sight, out-of-mind when it's not.

(Is that a 7-string guitar neck in your avatar?)

Yes it is a Devin Townsend model guitar. I do not play on seven strings (instead i have four electrics in different tunings, e standard, c standard, drop a, and c/b open) i also have a bass four string but i wish i had a five. I have an acoustic 12 string too but i don't play it often

Edit: sorry didn't mean to derail the thread

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
Edit: sorry didn't mean to derail the thread

I'm the one who asked the question, so no worries. I've got some pretty cool guits and basses, too.

A classic Rickenbacker 4001 bass, American P-bass and J-bass; A Les Paul (gold top with P-90s), and a Gretsch Hollow body. A few other, odds and ends lying around.

Sounds cool. Ibanez is my favorite brand because even their cheaper models have great tone. I can not play slap bass to save my life though lol but I've been playing for over eight years now. Used to have my own band back in high school (we sounded like pantera mixed with exodus) but i am getting into ambient guitar using delay layering. Check out a YouTube channel called Andy Othling(spelling?) He's got some great stuff. My current songs are inspired by Tycho. I use FL Studio to make backing pads and drums. Fun stuff :)

Edit: if you've never heard of Devin Townsend check out a medley he made called Willy Wonka. It's so beautiful and heavy at the same time, plus he plays in open C which is cool.

Last edited:
Hi,

My view is that a glossary of characters, creatures and or places can be interesting. It's a plus if it adds to my experience as a reader. If it perhaps extends the world build etc. But it's a huge minus if I need it to read the actual book. There should always be enough in the body of the work that the plot, characters and world make sense. If they don't the author needs to back to drafting.

Cheers, Greg.

I find whenever a book introduces a new term, concept or idea a glossary is a must. There have very few books I have read that do not have some sort of glossary attached. Sometimes I refer to it because of the pronunciations.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Seems like if you need a glossary to understand some aspect of the story, or a concept etc., the author hasn't done her job well in the writing of it. I can see having one for convenience in terms of refreshing memory and the like, but I wouldn't want to rely on it to get across information that is necessary to the story but hasn't been adequately conveyed within the story itself.​​