• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hero morality issues…

C

Chessie

That's good, because you're objectively wrong about this...
I don't appreciate your tone. It's possible to disagree with others and still be civil. I didn't agree with this concept at first either, but after some chewing on it, now I do. It's good to think about things a bit differently sometimes.

I just wanted to let the OP know that protagonists don't have to be good and the antagonists bad in order to have conflict. Protagonists can be any type of character. I'll go back to my default example of Humbert Humbert in Lolita. Pedo, but still the protagonist. Not everything has to be black and white in fiction. And now I'm truly done responding to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

pskelding

Troubadour
The antagonist is the hero of their own story, that also means they can be moral and not cold blooded killers. Morals are flexible and not rigid. What is considered moral in China where I live is not considered moral in the USA where I'm from.

The protagonist's and antagonist's goals don't have to be the same, in fact it's probably better if they aren't. But in striving to meet those goals is where the conflict and parts of the plot derive.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Chesterama, what about when the antagonist is a force of nature? It could simply be trying to climb the Matterhorn, but in the fantasy realm there are any number of stories where the antagonist is more or less mindless. In fact, in zombie stories they really are mindless.

I like the notion you put forward, and I'm not looking to convince anyone either, but I was wondering how the theory works with my goblin Horde (my goblins are more or less like a wolf pack).