• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

acapes

Sage
I've been reading a lot of PKD, I really love how he condenses a story into an idea. Every novel deals with a very concrete issue and doesn't complicate the narrative with anything other than that idea. It's such tight writing in terms of subject.

Same - the PKD Reader has some utterly fascinating stuff in it

Peterloom

Hi everyone, I'm new so I've been checking out the forums to see what I can find to read.

Right now I'm reading a book for a new author a friend told me about. The author is M.R. Chavez. Looks like he is just getting started with writing books. The book is called The Last Umbra.

It's pretty entertaining and something I would never think of. It's an Adventure, action-fantasy. It is focused on the admiration for the Japanese warrior class. This book tells of not a pride filled Samurai, but instead, a ninja assassin on a quest in gold-rush era California.

Incanus

Auror
Reading Grapes of Wrath. I jammed through the book in High-school, so it's past time I read it properly.

In short, it's everything a great novel should be. Producing a work of this caliber is certainly beyond me. I guess I should be happy that my writing-genre of choice has a considerably lower quality threshold.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
What the heck. Read quite a few books lately.

'The Flicker Men,' by Ted Kosmatka. This one made me really think, as it combined a variant baseline QM experiment with...'souls' and whether or not some people lack them. Different fields physics, history, anthropology, religion combined, all mixed in with a passable action novel.

'The Fold' by Peter Clines. Another that made me think, though I figured out what was going on early on. When is a teleport device not a teleport device? When its something else. And that 'something else' is straight out of Lovecraft. Did seem a bit truncated, though, and the ending, like so many others, demands a sequel. The book is mentioned by the author as being a sort f 'sidequel' to another book I haven't tracked down yet.

'Rise of the Mages,' by our very own BW Foster. I got one of the ARC's and shared commentary with him on it. I may do a review once I get the chance. It was a bit of a kick, seeing sections 'in print' that had been posted and gone over here in 'Showcase' long ago. My overall assessment: better than some of the conventionally published books these days, though it could have been better. Speaking of which...

'Twilight Reign,' by Tom Lloyd. A five book series featuring a quarrelsome realm perpetually at war, with the local Deities taking a very direct hand in affairs. To me, the MC comes across almost as a sort of 'Macho Mary Sue' (despite being male) and the almost nonstop fighting, from clashing armies to isolated duels, became rather tiresome after a while. After weeks of on and off reading, I made it to the first part of book five. Not sure if I'll continue, as the Mary Sue and unbeatable champion elements more or less force a certain ending. Seems almost like an AD&D campaign.

Others include, but are not limited to Ryan's 'Queen of Fire,' Baladachi's 'The Keeper' (not quite as good as 'The Finisher,' and raising some disturbing moral questions), and a pile of Asimov and F&SF magazines.

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
I think I've been ruined for novels. Lately I've been diving into manga and enjoying it so much I can't manage to read anything else.

teacup

Auror
I was reading Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child for a while. I got nearly 3/4 of the way through but I never enjoyed it and never wanted to read ahead. I just kept reading because it wasn't particularly boring and because I had bought it and was already reading it. But then 2 new books I had ordered arrived and I decided I would much prefer to read those now rather than waiting until I finished Relic.
I'm not sure if I'll get back to it or not. Being this far in and not being impressed at all makes me think there's not much point in reading more.

I'm now reading book 2 in The Worldbreaker Saga by Kameron Hurley. Book 1 was great, and I love book 2 so far, though I'm only around 50 pages in.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I may try some Kameron Hurley. I've been avoiding her because she doesn't seem like a very nice person on Twitter.

Incanus

Auror
I may try some Kameron Hurley. I've been avoiding her because she doesn't seem like a very nice person on Twitter.

I'm not quite sure I understand this sentiment. As far as I can tell, having talent or skill doesn't guarantee a nice disposition, or vice-versa.

One of my all-time favorite bands is Pink Floyd. The main songwriter, Roger Waters, is pretty much a straight up jerk. I doubt I would want to spend even two minutes hanging out with the guy. He also happens to be one of the very best songwriters in rock and roll.

You've got to be one of the most widely-read people I've ever encountered. Surely you've read a book or two by authors who might not be particularly 'nice'?

On the other hand, I've read some quotes attributed to D.H. Lawrence that made me never want to read anything of his. (He recommended euthanasia for everyone living essentially in poverty.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm not quite sure I understand this sentiment. As far as I can tell, having talent or skill doesn't guarantee a nice disposition, or vice-versa.

One of my all-time favorite bands is Pink Floyd. The main songwriter, Roger Waters, is pretty much a straight up jerk. I doubt I would want to spend even two minutes hanging out with the guy. He also happens to be one of the very best songwriters in rock and roll.

You've got to be one of the most widely-read people I've ever encountered. Surely you've read a book or two by authors who might not be particularly 'nice'?

On the other hand, I've read some quotes attributed to D.H. Lawrence that made me never want to read anything of his. (He recommended euthanasia for everyone living essentially in poverty.)

I'm sure I've read plenty of book by jerks, but if I know they're not particularly nice it makes me less likely to buy their books. My to-read stack is big enough as it is. I also don't buy books by Orson Scott Card, because I don't like the political activity he engages in with the money.

Hurley might be perfectly nice, it just seemed to me on Twitter that she wasn't and with all the books I have to read I wasn't compelled to add hers to the list :)

Incanus

Auror
I'm sure I've read plenty of book by jerks, but if I know they're not particularly nice it makes me less likely to buy their books. My to-read stack is big enough as it is. I also don't buy books by Orson Scott Card, because I don't like the political activity he engages in with the money.

Hurley might be perfectly nice, it just seemed to me on Twitter that she wasn't and with all the books I have to read I wasn't compelled to add hers to the list :)

Understood. I'm not familiar with her and don't know what she said specifically, and I very well might have reacted in a similar manner. I suppose this kind of thing really comes down to a case-by-case basis. To my knowledge, Roger Waters has never said anything as outlandish as the Lawrence quote I saw.

My to-read list is becoming quite unwieldy; ludicrous even.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've never heard that D.H. Lawrence quote. That's a bad one all right. He lived at a time where there was forced sterilization of people deemed "lesser." Never heard of anyone proposing euthanasia for impoverished people, though.

I started The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss after hearing many positive reviews on it. I'm a couple chapters into it, but it's a really good book.

Tom

Istar
It's come to my attention that I need to study some fencing theory. I'm familiar with the mechanics and rules of the sport, but don't really know the logic and history behind them. Plus I need to brush up on my phases of action--after being told to work on my preparations, I gave my coach that blank look all teachers dread, regardless of subject or sport. Then after an awkward five-second pause, it clicked and I had that "ooohhhhhhh" moment. Looks like I'm getting rusty.

Anyone know of any fencing books out there that cover the history and theory of the sport?

Last edited:

teacup

Auror
@Steerpike - I've not seen enough of her to see if she's nice or not, but I think her writing and the world of this series is very good, worth reading. But my to read list is no doubt much much shorter than yours, so I don't know if you should add it or not.
In this series she writes about cultures different to the usual ones I see, and the world is very unique to what I've read and seen before, so if you want something different I definitely recommend it. (Though due to how much you read who knows, you might have seen similar stuff anyway :p)

I'm very glad I gave up on Relic and switched to Empire Ascendant. I'm reading through this one very fast (compared to my usual speed.)

Jophelerx

Dreamer
I've been going through some of Stephen King's stuff, having not read much by him before. Read The Tommyknockers in September and just finished The Shining a couple of days ago. Taking a break with some short stories (read some Lovecraft yesterday, I've been a big fan of his for a long time, but haven't read all of his stories yet), plan to continue going through King's stuff with It as my next novel to read. I'm also stuck on book 11 with Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, which is ironic since Crossroads of Twilight was so much slower, I guess I'm burned out with Jordan. I want to finish it and move on to the final 3 novels since I've read the first book in Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series and very much enjoyed it (I do own the second one as well, just haven't gotten to it yet), but I guess I need to stay away from Jordan awhile longer.

Been looking for a lot of obscure dark/gritty fantasy lately, and I stumbled upon Age of Iron by Angus Watson, and it was surprisingly really good. I'd expected something a bit mediocre, and just something to keep me reading, but it came out as a really interesting story. Not that it's anything overly special, the author's not created the next great wave of historical fiction mixed with light elements of fantasy.

But still, if anyone's looking for a pretty good dark/gritty, a little bit humorous bit of fantasy fiction, I'd recommend it, despite all the flack that it seems to be getting for it's historic inaccuracies. (I'd like to point out that there is barely anything known about the British Iron Age Celts, so who are we to know about their culture and such? The author appears to have just filled in the blanks that have been left open, and he does it rather convincingly.... Aside from the spiked chariots... But those are just a bit of gory fun, aren't they? It is fantasy after all.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Just started Stone Mattress, by Margaret Atwood. So far, good enough that I read the first three stories in one sitting.