• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking Back

When you look back at the writer that you were years ago when your crazy journey began and now, what do you think has changed? How has your writing improved? Has it improved? Have your goals changed? How has your stories morphed to fit the changing you?

Just curious at what people respond with.

-Cold

Tom

Istar
Well, I've certainly improved in every way possible! The other day, in fact, I was looking over some of my old writing and laughing at my stupid mistakes and bad ideas. One thing I've improved at significantly is worldbuilding and character development. My old characters were often unembellished archetypes, while my worlds were standard medieval fantasy worlds that borrowed heavily from D&D and other fantasy staples.

I'm more committed to my work, and I'm taking world building a little more seriously. Haven't finished anything yet, but I'm closer to my goal with my current WIP than I've ever been with my past ones.

God... My old stuff was so horribly childish! I've certainly progressed in the maturity of what I'm trying to write, exploring far more mature themes and I think I'm improving in my ability to create interesting characters who aren't just the standard archetypes/clichés. Still not anywhere near publishing level, but getting there... Maybe.