• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Couple titles I've come up with

So I've started trying to figure out the name of the fantasy series. Something that sums up everything that needs to be summed up. Each book would have it's own name of course.

Here's two versions of a similar title

The path of redemption
The trials of redemption.

Critique away. :D

kennyc

Inkling
Hard to say without knowing what it's about...but based on those titles why not just call it "Redemption" or "The Redemption Series"

???

Mythopoet

Auror
To be honest, they sound way too general and kinda cliche. Fantasy titles styled as "the ____ of ____ " are just so ubiquitous that they make my mind glaze over when I see them.

I think "path" has a better ring to it. And i kind of agree it seems a little generic but if the story is strong it shouldn't matter. At least the title isn't, "The Prophecy of the Last Dragon King." Because that's totally the coolest title ever and I'm going to use it AND YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!!

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Perhaps a little cliche... What is your main character? I like the word redemption, but I think it could be punched up...

Redemption's Gate
Wizard Redeemed
Redemption's Fire
Redemption's Path

Basically one of the major themes of the book is humanity trying to redeem itself in the eyes of the gods that have forsaken them, and at one time even tried to wipe them off the face of the Earth.

Much of it is done without humans being aware of what's really going on as far as the big cosmic picture, though there is some guidance now and then from a few of the gods that still believe they can be redeemed.

I like the sound of Redemption's Path. Short and sweet is always preferable. Especially if it sticks in the reader's head without any effort.

Even if it changes it's nice to have a working title.

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Personally, unless something jumps out at me, I don't worry about titles till the final draft is finished. From experience, titles tend to come along after I understand the story more deeply.

Of the suggested titles, they both make me shrug. They're not bad at all, but they don't necessarily grip me either. Looking at what you have, here are some words I'd play with. I'd give you titles, but without knowing the story better, I don't think they'd be any better than what you have.

Atonement
Penance
Salvation

I try to shy away from titles that sound marked. By that I mean put the reader in a mindset. I don't want them to judge the book so instead I think animated titles are better. Titles with verbs over emotions but that's not even 100%. If I wanted to trap someone emotionally with a title that's where a subtitle comes into play. For example: So and So's Craft: Last Redemption of the Such and Such People

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Also, don't make your title fashion a habit. Unless it is part of your trademark. Book one above, book two: Stairway of Solace, book three Jubilee.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk