• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nimue draws things (sometimes)

Nimue

Auror
Nope! Can't paint a landscape for the life of me. I'm all about faces. Kind of mirrored by my writing, really--characters are much more important to me than world-building.

Reactions: Tom

Mindfire

Istar
Ah, not really, I did some small commissions a few years ago, like this one and this one (characters not mine) but overall found that I'm not really professional or quick enough to feel good about offering commissions! I do love drawing other people's characters, but I've done that mostly as gifts over the years.

Ah, I see. I asked because I've been looking for someone to do character art for some time now and I like your art style.

Nimue

Auror
Ah, I see. I asked because I've been looking for someone to do character art for some time now and I like your art style.
Well, I haven't done commissions in a while...and I just need to do more art. If you had something specific in mind, could you pm me the details, and I'll see if it's something I could manage?

Mindfire

Istar
Well, I haven't done commissions in a while...and I just need to do more art. If you had something specific in mind, could you pm me the details, and I'll see if it's something I could manage?

I can do that. I can also provide references, of a sort. Until now I've been using stock photos, pictures of actors, etc. to help me get an idea of what my characters look like. The pictures should make my descriptions easier to interpret. Lol

Nimue

Auror
Even better! Yes, drawing characters is really helpful for visualization and nailing them down. It always seems to be just one possible face out of many, though, because when I return to a character I've drawn before they always look different. I'll tell myself that's the mental image evolving and not my inability to replicate their look, but it's probably a bit of both, heh.

Mindfire

Istar
Even better! Yes, drawing characters is really helpful for visualization and nailing them down. It always seems to be just one possible face out of many, though, because when I return to a character I've drawn before they always look different. I'll tell myself that's the mental image evolving and not my inability to replicate their look, but it's probably a bit of both, heh.

Perhaps. Lol. But really unless you have an eidetic memory or you're a full time artist who has practice drawing the same characters day in and day out, some changes in between iterations is to be expected.

Nimue

Auror
Haven't managed to do much writing lately, but that doesn't mean I'm completely braindead. I drew Mindfire's character Rashad the other day, character design belongs to him:

17b9fe69-ca6a-4493-8355-03759e008e08_zpsizvjbdw0.png

I like this portrait the most out of what I've drawn this year, so that's something at least.

Nimue

Auror
As I told Mindfire, being asked to draw a character based on a handful of reference pictures of hot guys is its own reward. ^^

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Haven't managed to do much writing lately, but that doesn't mean I'm completely braindead. I drew Mindfire's character Rashad the other day, character design belongs to him:

I like this portrait the most out of what I've drawn this year, so that's something at least.
He's a dreamboat!

Er... I mean... if you dream about boats, and there happens to be a dashing, rugged man on one of the boats.

It's a great drawing. Let's just leave it at that. Nice work, Nimue!

Nimue

Auror
Well, that's kind of a good question? It took me like an evening for the sketch, an evening for basic color/shading, and a Saturday to polish him up and finish the detailing. What that means in terms of hours, though, I have no idea. I'm often doing other things, watching videos and stuff, while I'm drawing. I've got pictures of the stages when I checked in, if you like that sort of thing:

butter_zpstusqzveh.png

1e29f33b-dbce-4dc1-b927-06e1dc120722_zpsdhadpv4j.png

Tom

Istar
You should do a livestream sometime! Awesome painting skills + hot fantasy dudes? You'd be pretty popular. :D

Speaking of painting skills, I really should practice more often...

Nimue

Auror
Ahahaha the idea of people watching me draw (and accompanying long stretches of procrastination) is spectacularly nerve-wracking. I do like watching painting videos from digital artists, though. I was gonna link to this fantastic video by Charlie Bowater (one of my fave artists ever) but it looks like ImagineFX took it down...

But I agree, you should paint! :D Have you ever done digital painting? Tablets can be expensive but I've heard that Huion is a pretty good alternative to Wacom's brand dominance

Tom

Istar
Yeah, I wouldn't want anyone watching me...too many agonizing mistakes and do-overs. I've never seen any of Charlie Bowater's art; I should look him up. I'm always on the prowl for new artists.

I actually do digital painting now! I splurged on a Wacom Bamboo this summer, and I'm still kind of getting used to drawing with a tablet, so my digital stuff so far hasn't been all that impressive. I'm starting to see some improvement, but it's still a slow process. I'm also really bad about mixing up my layers and stuff like that.

Nimue

Auror
Oooh, yay! I'd love to see what you've been painting ^^ My first tablet was a Wacom Bamboo too! Yeah, it really takes getting used to at first; you just have to keep practicing. I'd call it more of a learning bump than a learning curve, though? Once your hand-brain-eye coordination gets used to drawing in one place and looking at another, it feels pretty natural.

Tom

Istar
The first time I used it, my brain was freaking out for a while. Why are you not looking at the paper? What are you doing?!

I like the Bamboo, but I really wish I had better software. Right now I'm using Corel Painter, because I'm broke and it came with the tablet, but I'd love to get Photoshop. Corel Painter fritzes out a lot and is basically a giant pile of crap.