• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Frances Smith blog

Just posting here to advertise my blog, where I sometimes post essays on things that interest me about the genre community and writing.

There are two posts up currently that might be of interest to people here:

The first is a short essay on reading the classics of the genre, which I wrote in response to a couple of other people's blog posts back at the start of the month:

On Reading the Classics (of the genre)

The second is about our cultural discomfort with romances where the woman is the stronger partner, and how the growth of same-sex romances between women is partially a response to that:

The Strong Lesbian Character

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Hi Frances... I just wanted to say I enjoyed your blog, and hope you'll consider adding a comment section. You can add the Disqus app for free, which I know because you have a Wix site as I do. Let me know if you do add a comment field, since I would gladly comment. My webcomic has a lesbian character (who totally agrees with you that killing off Newt is the worst thing any writer has ever done).

Hi Legendary,

Yeah, I would like to add comments. I don't suppose you of anywhere that talks you through how to add the app that could be understood by someone who doesn't know jack about coding? I'm staring at a load of HTML and I don't know what half of it means and I certainly don't know why I can't copy a URL into it.

In the meantime, I'm also slowly setting up a wordpress account with comments already enabled andthe essay cross-posted here if there's anything you'd like to say.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I had to go to the Disqus site to set that up. There's no coding involved. If I can remember what exactly I did, I'll tell you.

One thing I did was to only set up the comment field on the "single blog post" page. I placed the Disqus box in a white "container box" so it would show on a dark background. (My site is linked in my signature if you want to see how the blog comment field came out. My latest blog also happens to mention the Aliens franchise.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Nice. Is that the regular comment option? I may trade that one for Disqus since the log-in-via-Facebook option actually works and looks good.

EDIT - Funny how I was mentally prepared to advise you on how to add Disqus, and now I like the made-by-some-guy app that you're using better. I jettisoned Disqus from my site and replaced it with the comment box you're using (which I tested by commenting on your site).

Last edited:
Thanks for the first comment!

Yeah, I did register with Disqus, and I tried to add it in, and I was looking at this HTML and I was like 'what's a page identifier?' And then I decided that there must be an easier way to get comments than that, and so I just searched through the Wix apps.

Left you a comment too, because although I don't understand the occasion it was a fun post anyway.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It was just me semi-explaining the inspiration for Friday's comic. In any case I think un-killing Newt would be way cooler than cloning Ripley.