• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Usernames and their mystical meanings...

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Did you choose your current username for a particular reason and if so what might this meaning be?

Banten is a planned character in my main story. He is not a self insert however. In many ways he is the opposite of me, both physically and mentally. I just feel connected to the character, because i've had him in my head for a long time now.

Russ

Istar
Russ is my name. I never really have seem the value/purpose of using other names to communicate with people.

Tom

Istar
Tom Nimenai is the MC of my very first novel, Southerner. While definitely not a self-insert, I identify closely with him, just because he's been with me so long. He seems in some ways to be an outgrowth of my personality, sort of a facet of me that displays characteristics my real self doesn't.

Actually, having him as my username really means a lot to me. When I created my account on MS, I was a very different person. For one, I was a lot younger and more naive. I was also just starting to break out of the conservative worldview bestowed on me by my upbringing, and questioning everything I'd been taught--from religion to political stance to orientation/identity. I was kind of a mess back then. In a way, calling myself Tom Nimenai instead of my real name here gave me a chance to take a step back and see myself as a different person. Tom is a POC, queer, and agnostic--about as different from the old me as someone could get. Identifying with him helped me realize that I was not who I'd thought I was, and that that was a good thing.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Ireth is a name I got from a so-called "elvish" name generator. I don't think it actually means anything, but I liked it and it stuck.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
My real name is Jenn. I'm Canadian like Russ, but my name is not particularly cool.

Heliotrope was literally the first word that popped into my head when I registered. It means purple, or a type of flower, neither of which have any symbolic meaning for me at all. I guess I just like outdated old fashioned words.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Legendary Sidekick is named after a novel that you will not buy. Seriously. Don't. Even if you'd like it, don't. The ending is like "but wait there's more" and there isn't. I got bored with it and, despite many attempts, just couldn't get far into book two.

I still like the username though. My current project is Huntresses Attack Monsters ...in 2D! or HAM2D for short. I wouldn't want to call myself "Huntress" or "Ham."

My real name is John. (I guess not everyone's doing that, but I will anyway.)

Velka

Sage
Velka is the name I've always used online. I thought it sounded nice and I like the letter V. I believe the first instance was in Everquest waaaaaaay back in 1999 (High Elf enchanter!). I've used it in MMORPGs and in forums ever since.

A Finnish friend in DAOC told me it meant 'debt' or 'to owe' in his language. A Czech friend in the same game told me it was a diminutive of Veleslava, whose name means 'great fame'.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Devor is the name of a bard character I made back in High School to play D&D in an old RPG chatroom, where you would change your screenname to match your character name. But I never actually played him because I ended up DMing the first few games instead. After that, Devor became my screenname, I mostly DMed, and when I didn't I made better characters.

Devor comes from the "the bore," as in Devor - the bor - ing bard. Yeah, it's not funny, and that makes it all the more valid. A boring hidden joke from a boring bard. Which kind of makes it funny, right? No? Okay then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ban

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Russ is your real name? Canadians have some cool names, don't they?

Being Canadian, my name is John. *Confetti and Party Whistles*

Honestly, my name couldn't be more boring. I have no middle name. :(

My user name? Much in the vein of Sanitation and Domestic Engineers, I chose Penpilot. It was either that or Keyboard CEO.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
Pythagoras is a cool name for a cool guy.
If I wasn't Pythagoras, I'd be Herodotus, which I am on some sites. Greek historical figures' names are just nifty to me.

And my face is always that of the Moai.

Zadocfish

Troubadour
My middle name is Zadoc, which is a misspelling of the Hebrew word for Righteousness, and the name of the priest of David's court. I also like fish because they're cool, and also because they are symbolic of Christianity.

Philster401

Maester
I just took the first 4 letters of my name added -ster and my 1st school bus number but after joining this forum I joined the dragon egg rpg and now I use Zoran Alaster as my username for games and I think imight use it as my mc name. But my name is a Phillip, 2 ll's.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I discovered internet forums about 15 years ago in a quest for information. I lurked for a while on various sites, and noted that the majority of the posters typed first and thought second. When I finally registered, I first tried 'Thinker,' because I intended to think through my responses.

That didn't work with some sites, I suspect that unmodified it might be some sort of backdoor access ID. On the old EZ Boards (now Yuku) I was 'Thinker100' or 'Thinker102' for a long while. (Thinker100 and 101 died in fluke digital accidents.)

Other sites these days I am usually 'ThinkerX.' The name is generic enough for a multitude of sites.

Real name is Tim.

Nimue

Auror
I think my approach to usernames is uncannily mirrored by my approach to fantasy names in writing--why make something up when you can beg, borrow, or steal from existing historical connotation? Ah well, never been much of a conlanger.

Oh, and I'm a bit of a witch, of course. ^^

Reactions: Tom

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Caged Maiden Custom Clothing and Costumes is my costuming business, and I originally used Anihow (A scrunched version of my real names) on this site as my name, but I changed it because I preferred to be identified with my business. I didn't even pick the business name for a real reason, I just made steel-boned corsets as one of my main products I did custom, so since I wore them in my Elizabethan gowns, I became the caged maiden (who was neither caged, nor a maiden, I suppose). Anyways, custom corsets, and anything related was already taken as a domain name, so I went with www.cagedmaiden.com, and Godaddy told me it was free. Since I'd already spent a couple hours typing in things i liked better and couldn't find a better domain name, I bought it and though I've ditched my website since then, I still have the domain name. I also have Anitahowitt.com and ahowittauthor.com, just in case I ever begin using my real name in writing, I suppose. Probably just a waste of money so far, though.

I couldn't think of a username for myself that I wouldn't either find cheesy or uninspirational. So I chose to take the furthest edge of the most unimaginative, uninspirational and heavily gamer geek related I could possibly think of, to at least make some sort of poor joke of it.(I always think of wizardz, because I, perhaps, have a secret desire to be one).

Thus, Lvl20wizard was born. And since level 20 is pretty high in dnd, I could only pick the best. But in retrospect it would probably be more fun to be lvl 2 (they're basically useless at that level!).

Last edited: