• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need help with Varenitiy

Kidd3132

Hello my name is Antron I'm 22 years old and writing a fictional novel. My protagonist is named Lyden Andrius. Born from two races at war. I have alot of solid information about the overall story line. Also with the races as well. I'm needing someone who can help me come up with the technology, government rules, ethics, culture, and etc please I have alot of great ideas just need help funneling and getting other perspective.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Kidd3132
Some people [me included] like world building and can [like me] get lost/mired in that.
Others start WRITING and then fill in the blanks as they need.
What I have done when it comes to things like world building for a story is to think of a story or film that has a bit of the feel that I want; the culture or the government, type of armies, even the art and architecture and.... Steal it.
When I have the pieces I want, I see what I want to change and what as to be changed to make sense [to me].
I watched two film, Kagemusha and Blade Runner. I came up with a story that had the same feel for characters and a mix of both in style and feel...
You probably already know more about your world than you think.
If two races are at war, what type of war? Is it all out modern warfare? Or trench war? Is it skirmishes that have been going on for decades? Or grand armies of empires manoeuvring for one set battle?
What makes the races different? How will this be seen in the story.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That's a large list of things you want people to come up with for you.

I am pretty knowledgeable and very interested in the things you've listed so i can help a bit. First you need to give me a lot more information about your world though. Geography, Time period, motive in story, genre, who is your expected audience, etcetera... Two races at war doesn't tell me anything, so be more specific. What have you already come up with?

Brithel

Dreamer
Do you mind sharing what details you curretly have? It would be an immense help so as we now what ideas to create.
If you don't want to post it publicly mybe you could PM those interested?

Jerseydevil

Minstrel
I really can't give specifics as there are far too many variables. Just try to remember that everything has a consequence and nothing happens in a vacuum. Allow me to explain, keep in mind my main focus in my education was military history, so I'm going to use those examples, but this can be applied to pretty much everything, politics, religion, economies, etc.

An example of different societies and their methods of warfare is perfectly shown in the Greeco-Persian wars. The Persians were from an area with wide open spaces, so their main method of warfare was fast moving lightly armored skirmishers and cavalry. In Greece, the terrain was highly mountainous. There is little room for maneuvering, so light troops were not as useful. Instead, they fought as heavily armored hoplites in dense formations. Look at a Greek helmet. It has very small slits for eyes and virtually no peripheral vision. In the terrain of Greece, this was unnecessary. Formations just plowed ahead into each other, as there simply wasn't enough room to move anywhere else. When the two met in the confines of Greece, the light armored Persians were smashed by the walking tanks that were Greek infantry (This is a bit of a simplification, but you get the idea).

If a society that you create is from an area that is poor in metal, for example, they would have to find an alternative material for weapons and armor, or have metal equipment for a small warrior elite, etc. I know it sounds obvious, but a lot of writers forget these things. If there are more specifics, I could be more helpful.