• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Metanoiac

Dreamer
I'm reading Liu Cixin's The Three Body Problem translated in English from Chinese. I'm really loving this author, and the historical base his story is written in!

Tom

Istar
I just started the Welcome to Night Vale novel. So far, it's just as bizarre, creepy, and wonderful as the podcast. I keep finding myself smirking at all the little references sprinkled throughout the book that only listeners of the podcast would know about. :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (for the zillionth time), and Tuck Everlasting (for the first time). Wishing I had Prisoner of Azkaban to continue the HP series properly, but oh well.

teacup

Auror
I've read the first 2 books of The Shattered Sea series by Joe Abercrombie which I loved. I need the 3rd now but the one with the cover I need isn't out yet :p
I then read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman, which I'm not sure about. For most of it I was just reading it, not very interested in it but also not exactly bored by it. There were times when I quite enjoyed it, so when I remember those I think I like it, but then I remember the chunks of reading when I wasn't interested, so I'm not sure what to rate it. I'll give it "meh?"/10.

Now I'm reading Book 2 of The Expanse - Caliban's War, by James S. A. Corey.
I loved book 1 and so far I'm loving this, too.

There's a tv show of the series (scifi) airing on December 14th on the Syfy channel, so I recommend that and the books. (Ep 1 is already out online, as it was released early on Syfy's website. Ep 1 was great, and it looks like it will make a brilliant series.)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
The Nation-State and Global Order by Walter C Opello

It is truly riveting... In all seriousness it is a pretty good, very informative book, but i wish i could read some fantasy instead.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Slaughter House five.

Though its been on hold while I had a quick Hunger Games marathon to prep for the movie...

I loved A Tale of Two cities. I had to read it in high school and I was that nerdy kid that had higher then 100% in the class....

Tom

Istar
Just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (for the zillionth time), and Tuck Everlasting (for the first time). Wishing I had Prisoner of Azkaban to continue the HP series properly, but oh well.

Hey! Right now I'm rereading the Harry Potter series! Maybe we could have a party. :) (I'm currently on Half-Blood Prince.)

Reading Prisonder of Azkaban to my daughter right now. We are on the second to last chapter. Hope you get your hands on the book. Reading the entire series from start to finish is awesome.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Most of my Lovecraft type anthologies came in, so today I picked up the 'Explorers Guild,' featuring an ill fated arctic expedition and the exploits of a rather brutal mercenary (?) company. What gets me is the format: it switches back and forth between normal text and graphic novel.

Mythopoet

Auror
I finished Anne of Green Gables yesterday. It had me crying once again at the end. Such a fantastic coming of age story. Now on to Anne of Avonlea.

Still slowly working through Frankenstein.

Tom

Istar
Okay, note to self: Do not read Memento Mori by Paul Koudounaris ever again. The only reason I have it is to cite it for an English project, but still...All those of pictures of bones and skulls and mummies and death...

I'm feeling sick and shaky right now.

Death frightens me. I have not come to terms with my own mortality, and maybe never will. I hate morbid stuff. Just hate it. It makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and try to shut out the reality of death.

Stupid book. Stupid paper.

TWErvin2

Auror
I'm reading:
Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany
by Donald L. Miller

Mythopoet

Auror
Finished Frankenstein the other day. I'm not sure what to think about it. The narrative seems to take Victor Frankenstein's belief in his own innocence very seriously. He is treated as a noble hero and practically a saint at the end. I find this somewhat disturbing, since the man seems to me easily the most unstable, cowardly, shamefully guilty person the story could make him. The creature is guilty as well, but I find him far, far more pitiable than Frankenstein. Well, I'm glad I read it anyway. It was a very interesting experience.

Incanus

Auror
I've started the second of the Tales from the Flat Earth books by Tanith Lee, called Death's Master. I love the way she writes (well, wrote--she passed away just this year). These books are too good to be out of print, very sad.

(On a side note, ordering this book was the best experience I've had at Amazon. It is a hard-bound 3-in-1 omnibus, containing the first three novels of this series, printed in the mid 80's. Not only was this 30-year old book in excellent condition, it came with a hand written note addressed specifically to me, suggesting other books. How rare (and cool) is that?!)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Read through Terry Pratchett's "The Shepherd's Crown" yesterday. It didn't have much of the humor of his other books, but a lot of the character development was unexpected and awesome. A most fitting final book from a great author. Definitely worth a read, especially for any long-time PTerry fans.