• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dystopian earth with films as myths

This thought just came into my head and I was wondering if any novel series has tried this. Let's say that the world went to shit a long ass time ago and people started to hand down their retellings of cinema stories down to the next generation. Then after a while thanks to the tendency of oral tradition to mix things up, these movies became some sort of myth to the people. I'd like to know of any media with the same or similar concept if there is any.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
In the fallout universe this happens quite a bit. In new vegas there is a group called "the Kings" who believe that Elvis Presley must have been a very important leader if people referred to him as the king. So they dress up and talk like him.

Caesar's legion is built to resemble the romans and because no one except the intellectuals in the wasteland know anything about the world before the war, they believe that their leader "Caesar" has received this knowledge from Mars himself.

There is a small group of thugs called the family, who believe that they are vampires and they base their society on old vampire myth.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
If I were to do this, I would make Led Zeppelin akin to classical art music, and because they reference Tolkien in so many of their songs, that would be the established mythic tradition.

You know, sort of how opera today uses classical myth as its inspiration.

Ok, maybe it's a stretch. But if there are ever two things that deserve to be deified by future, post-apocalyptic generations to replace the myths and art civilization has forgotten, it's Middle Earth and Led Zeppelin. amiright?

Hi,

Mad Max 3 (Thunderdome) springs to mind, where the films had stopped working but there were still the "tellings" of what they showed.

Cheers, Greg.

Incanus

Auror
Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

There's Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, where people memorize books, though they haven't yet turned to legends or anything (not that I remember anyway).

I remember a fun scene from the otherwise not-so-awesome movie Reign of Fire, where, in a post-apocalyptic world a few people do a 'performance' of scenes from Star Wars.

But, of course, these are only loosely related to what you're thinking about.

Gryphos

Auror
This reminds me of that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy where Starlord tells Gamora about the 'legend of Footloose' and the 'great hero Kevin Bacon'. It's pretty jokes.

I think this concept has potential to be really interesting and hilarious. You could even go further and have our music be legendary songs that are passed down through generations.

Imagine, around the campfire under the stars, the village elder stands up and says, "Now, we shall sing the song of our people, known simply as ... Darude – Sandstorm. DA NA NA NA NA! DA NA NA NA NA!—"