• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Relatively new writer

caters

Sage
I have been writing for several years. The way I write I start with an image and just wing it. I don't use an outline or anything of that nature unless it is a report or presentation. For stories, regardless of length and type, I don't use it.

I am very good at the writing part as far as grammar and spelling. Some things I am not good at are narration(my stories tend to be mostly dialogue, especially in the first draft, using synonyms(I don't often use them, especially in dialogue, even though I can easily access a thesaurus because I am never sure to what degree a given synonym has the same meaning(For example I see grandmother in a synonym list for mother and I don't think of it as a synonym at all. Another example is say and roar. If it is people than I think of roar as a synonym of say to be used when someone is really angry. If it is cats however I think of them as 2 completely different words, especially for cats that have roaring as their main form of communication(Lions are what I think of when I think of roaring as a main communication since a lot of their language is different types of roars).

So basically I use say and ask all the time in my dialogue but I might use something like roar in narration.

Another thing I am not as good as I could be at is worldbuilding. I know that starting images are important in worldbuilding and I am good at that part.

Even my most fictional fiction has some real science. For example Math World has genetics and scientifically possible forms of natural weight control and immortality built into the characters. It also has planetary zones(hot, cold, and goldilocks within solar systems and polar, temperate, and tropical within individual planets) as well as real math(which is actually built into the genetics with operational chromosomes(chromosomes which code for mathematical operations during fertilization)).

As another example Chemistry Sci Fi(a science based story) has a character named Dr. Proton because he is as small as a proton. He doesn't have the positive charge of a proton, just the size.

caters

Sage
My latest story, which I posted about in the worldbuilding thread because of questions I had about it is about a planet that is all arctic.

It begins with a family of human-like characters stuck in the ice. It is so thick they can't break through it. A friendly polar bear hears the characters and breaks through the ice. He welcomes them to the arctic. The human-like characters stay with the polar bear for warmth. The star that this planet orbits around is a new star and so it is very hot and could melt all the ice and snow that makes the arctic what it is.