• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings from a new member

For nearly two centuries darkness festered in the heart of the abandoned Old City, until a novice sorcerer was lured into freeing the unholy remains of a necromancer from its buried crypt. Now fear stalks the streets of Karbala. The city is under siege by an army of the dead led by a being of unbounded power and madness. While deep under the city a small group of survivors plot a daring plan that will lead them into the heart of the growing nightmare.

The Seventh Bridge

Hi,
I'm doing things a bit backwards. I finished my novel and put it on Amazon first, and now I'm reading advice before starting on the next one. My writing tends towards horror, although The Seventh Bridge is in a fantasy setting - I think of it as grim fantasy.

I'm curious about how many other writers and readers prefer a somewhat grittier, darker version of fantasy.

terence.soule
The Seventh Bridge

Sparkie

Auror
Welcome to the forums, terence.soule!

Actually, there's a whole group of fans of 'dark fantasy' here. I can't remember what they call themselves, but if you the 'community' dropdown under the forum menu and click on groups, I think you can find them.

Edit: I just checked it out. The group is simply called "Dark Fantasy," and one of my friends on this site (The Grey Sage) is an active poster and challenge organizer. It's not my thing, but I'd recommend this group for you.

Last edited:

Ghost

Inkling
I'm curious about how many other writers and readers prefer a somewhat grittier, darker version of fantasy.

163!

When my stuff isn't about social issues, it tends to be psychological or supernatural horror. I've got plans for fantasy books about serial killers and creepy critters that lurk in the dark. I've used "grim" to describe a few of my settings.

So you're not alone, Terence! Welcome to the forum. Oh, and make lots of posts in Dark Fantasy. I hope it becomes active with writers doing their own kind of dark fantasy.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I personally like darker fantasy myself. People like Abercrombie, Martin, Erikson, Cook, Lieber, Howard. I tend to like political, bloody stories with intrigue, but also sword and sorcery. I like Tolkien-esque fantasy sometimes, but I tend to lean more towards darker stuff (not so much supernatural for me).

Welcome to the forum!