• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legends of Mythrous Strange Lands

bgmyhan

Dreamer
I just uploaded my first book to amazon and the beauty is that you can change covers with your feelings. Here is my first cover but I don't want the reader to mistake anything. It's supposed to be a dragon egg wrapped in a pirate flag but I think the egg looks like a treasure chest. I used a reptile skin as a layer and was so stoked on this one until someone pointed out this similarity to me. What do you guys think? is it an egg or treasure?

realcovercompressed-200x300.jpg

bgmyhan

Dreamer
Bonus question, is it better for the reader to think treasure and then read the book and be like, wow no that's a dragon egg - that's cool, and get both markets of readers? Or is that a stretch?

K.S. Crooks

Maester
At first look I saw a pile of coins. If you want it to be clear it's a dragon's egg perhaps change the colour to whatever you envision the colour of your dragons. You could change the shape of the scales to diamonds or triangles and even have them be layered like shingles instead of separate. I tend to like the idea of being surprised that it's a dragon's egg, but then I would also want to know that their are dragons in the story so I would want to see some aspect of a dragon on the front or back cover.